Inovation: What's Your Creative Process?

I'll freely admit that an inovater I am not. I don't seem to have what it takes to constantly come up with new material in the same way as some of our T11 artists can.

But for those of you who do create your own unique effects, I want you to show off! Tell us how it is you do what it is that you do? What steps do you go through to create your ideas?

Do you keep a notebook with you, do you watch others perform, how do you get your inspiration? Please, share with the rest of us! I'm excited to read your replies.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Im a move monkey :).

That said, I do not create effects, but I like to find other ways of using sleights for other purposes, and when I do that I often find myself with a new trick or routine :)

For example, The trilogy is full of sleights that can be used in countless other ways and I love to dissect them and see every available possibility with them.

I also have tried to create some sleights that fit myself and my repertoire, and some of them have become usual sleights in my routines :)

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
i have a notebook, or I use my iphone to jot down when I have a idea. a lot of times ill visualize how I want something to look, then work on it from there. other times the method comes to me first and I build presteation around that. good thread man

I'll freely admit that an inovater I am not. I don't seem to have what it takes to constantly come up with new material in the same way as some of our T11 artists can.

But for those of you who do create your own unique effects, I want you to show off! Tell us how it is you do what it is that you do? What steps do you go through to create your ideas?

Do you keep a notebook with you, do you watch others perform, how do you get your inspiration? Please, share with the rest of us! I'm excited to read your replies.

You might want to read this :
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=22337

Oct 1, 2008
earth
for me, its all intuitive

im doing an effect and creating methods to stuff i watch and i go

think of different methods for tricks ive learned, and i come across ideas and i apply it too effects

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
well for me,when I create a trick goes backwards

first there has to be a name for the trick, so when I have the name I create a trick based on the name

some examples:

Son Of A Thief
Fear
Fallacy
Parthenogenesis
Pierce
King Of Nowhere
Corruption

all of these will be in my Manifesto out in 2010

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
My laptop is dying so this will be short.

It varies, I don't create a ton, but I do create some stuff.

A few days ago something just kind of hit me, a new use for something I had read in Corinda's 13 steps (or was it Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals...I am no good at sourcing) but instead of cards I'm using a drawing pad. It's something that is so simple, but should be very powerful when I complete the idea.

Another time I saw an effect and said to myself 'I wonder if I can figure out a method to do that...' and after over a month of messing around I did find a way to do it. From there I actually simplified it and finally decided that it doesn't fit my style and had to scrap it. :(

But yeah, I have an engineers mind when I put forth the effort, but usually just reconstruct presentations around other peoples hard work :).

i day dream and have a knowledge of slieghts. Basically it. Well that and playing with cards 24/7. Or just "trying to innovate" but end up changing completely.

For example:

I was playing with Flic from andthensome and thought to myself "wouldn't it be dope to do Flic with the deck in hand?" So i tried it, and after a few attempts, boom it worked. Then i wanted come up with a way to switch the cards with the flic type action. Ergo, I came up with it. Progress leads to evolution and that goes hand in hand with creativity.

May 18, 2008
I have an odd way of creating magic... I swear this is 100% truthful.

1: Read descriptions of effects. Just random effects. That is why I often search magic websites for "book" or "DVD" just so when it comes to the first one I am NOT familiar with, I can just click on it. Often in glimpsing at an idea, my mind comes up with SO many different ideas based on that.

2: (method I use more often) Lucid dreaming.

For those of you not familiar with a lucid dream, it is a dream that is completely controlled by you, the person having a dream. You are completely aware you are dreaming, but in a god-like way have complete control over EVERYTHING without it seeming like you do. ( you really have to have one to understand)

I end up performing a trick, lucid. I will start the trick for some people. Then, I will stop controlling things and let the dream go on by itself. This allows for me to get a completely free subconcious ending to the trick. This has helped me come up with some COOL stuff.

Remembering it in the mornign is the hard part... :D

Sep 13, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
There are several ways it can happen.
1)You try to do one thing, and something totally different happens
2)You play around with a concept and find a different use for it that can be relatively similar or totally different(like the rising card deck to the rising card app)
3)You can think of an effect and figure out how to do it later(which is a great way to think of gaff cards)
4)You can think of how to make an effect better(like the rising card deck to Schwing)
5)Or, you can just hit a pot of gold and think of a method and build a routine around it
I usually use #2 and #3.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results