Insane reaction to Wayne Houchin's French Kiss

May 4, 2009
Well, I have been working on card tricks and flourishes for about 2.5 months. I haven't performed the tricks to a whole lot of people until this weekend. In large part, because I'd practice a sleight over and over. Then do it in the mirror till it looks perfect. Then I'd I perform the trick for someone and my hands would shake and I'd start fumbling the cards.

I was at a conference with a lot of people I've known for years. I set out to perform a lot of card tricks, so I could get over being nervous and get in a lot of experience.

I had planned out the tricks in tiers. I'd start with some easy ones and work my way up. The first tier was two from How to Do Street Magic. I think they are called trick switch and trace unseen. My second tier was waving aces, biddle trick, and haunted deck with a loop. Then I planed to try the bluff pass with a shapeshifter reveal and Wayne Houchin's French Kiss.

It ended up working perfectly. Because I would do a trick for someone, and they'd come back later with another person or two and say do that for so and so. I didn't want to do the same tricks in front of the same people. So I'd say ok sure, and then do an even harder trick. The original person would be impressed all over again.

One thing that I've listened to Houchin and Brad Christian talk about is how people will remember tricks even better than they really were. I couldn't really picture that happened to me. But it did with the Haunted Deck trick big time.

I did it for two people. A 19 year old girl and a 22 year old guy I was sharing a room with. The 19 year old girl described the trick to some other people as "the deck split in half and both sides went it two different directions." The dude told people, and this is his exact words "The entire deck exploded!" I heard him say these exact words to multiple people. He had a bunch of other people wanting so see it. Well, I couldn't do the trick after his over the top description. So I played it cool. I said, "I'll do it again at the November board meeting and it will be even better." Then I would just go into a different trick.

I even had a random hotel guest actually get angry because I wouldn't tell him how I did the biddle trick! He oerheard a girl ask me for one of my decks to play a game. He was trying to hit on this girl and she told him about my tricks. Well later at the bar he comes up to me and says "I know this awesome card trick that will stump anyone." So he proceeds to show me the most moronic lame, drawn out card trick I've ever seen and it required an accomplish to perform!

Then he goes, so what kind of tricks can you do? I do the biddle trick on him and he has a look of just total shock and goes, "you have got to teach me that." Well, I refused and he actually got pissed off and angry about it. :p

I had done the waving aces trick on a few guys and got a great reaction. The one guy has a drop dead smoking hot wife named Dani. He goes, you have to do that for Dani. So about an hour later he comes over with his wife and some other guys and says, do that that trick again. I go into the full french kiss routine. (I had done the trick on some guys to get practice, without doing the french kiss routine. This was my first time doing Wayne's actual routine.) The reaction I got exceeded anything even on the Art of Magic DVD.

The girl screams "open your mouth! where is the real card!" She actually thought I had forged her signature on a duplicate card and had hidden it in my mouth before the trick started! Then she goes "so what the hell is this card .. Oh my god!!!" and everyone else explodes into laughter and is heaping praise on my abilities.

I had some humorous reactions, one guy asked me how did I stick a card in my sleeve and then pull it back out so fast. At least three other people said something to the effort, "wow that was cool, where did you get a trick deck that can do that!" Then I'd just hand them the whole deck and they'd have a much bigger reaction when it sunk in that it wasn't a gimmicked deck.

Anyway, the reaction I had to French Kiss alone was enough to motivate me to continue further into card magic and keep going. Sorry this post took so long to get to the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
good story. i agree. people will tell others tricks and it'll be totally different from what actually happened. sometimes i do extreme burn and i'll be like here wanna see the money and they'll check out a bill. One bill. then later they'll tell someone that he passed all the bills out and everything.
its very weird how certian moments can generate more than others.
you'll hear people talk about a magician they saw, and about a trick they saw. and you'll know the trick, but you know thats not how it happened.
but yea good job goin out and doin magic for people. Dont worry. you'll work on magic for a while, and you'll look back and say, wow, i really wasnt prepared for anything.
thats what i think about when i perform.

Also its good to take easy tricks and perform them.
I just put a video on my vimeo where i did 2 tricks. V ERY easy, but they are very powerfull to the spectators minds.

Keep practicing, and performing to friends.
but better yet, go out to a mall or somewhere (where you'll probably never see thoes people again) and perform some magic. If you screw up, oh well, you'll never see them again. and they will probably never tell anyone about it.
thats the best way to boost your confidence level and really grow in your presentation.

May 4, 2009
Another good thing, is that by doing the tricks for so many people I started to learn how to recover from a failing trick as well. Fortunately most of the time, the trick would be a success, but each time I had a failure I started recovering better and better.

I was most happy with the biddle trick. I must have done it ten times in front of both individuals and groups of 2-4. 9 were complete successes and the reactions were always great. The only failure was when this girl let the cards slide around in her hand and she saw a flash of her card. Fortunately she didn't even notice it was her card, she just picked up that a card was facing the wrong direction. She goes, "you have some cards turns the wrong way in this deck." I immediately grabbed the deck back and made a big joke out of it and went into waving aces. Between the girl and two other guys watching, none of them even really seemed to pick up that something went wrong. :cool:

After that I'd make sure people held the deck firmly. If they were holding the cards loose I'd say something like "look I'm going to try to get at that deck, hold it tight so I can't do anything to it." Some people I had to actually grab their hand and tighten their fingers around the deck. But it kept the same thing from happening again.

I had learned the Le Pauls bluff pass from a 1-on-1 on this website. I honestly didn't truely believe it would even work. I practiced it in front of mirrors and thought "they are totally going to know what I'm doing."

I was afraid to even try it in front of multiple people at once. So I only did it twice in front of a single person. It worked. I was probably as shocked as the spectators were. :D

After I did a shapeshifter reveal I used to the handling that Brad Christian suggests to subtly convince the person that it was only one card. It worked so well. Both times, when I handed the card to the person they immediately snatched the card and flipped it over looked for a second card glued to the back or something and then they have a second reaction of shock. The second time I did it I had been talking to the guy about trick decks. I found out we both had a collection of tricks decks, so we were discussing the different ones. Immediately after I did the shapeshifter flick he starts saying "wow I have have never seen a trick deck that could do that!" Then I hand him the card, he eagerly flips it over and is stunned. Then he goes "oh my god it's not even a trick deck."

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
yeah, some great advice in this thread. Congrats on having a routine go over so well. Some good choices in the way you strung the effects together. I LOVE french kiss. Ive been doing it for about 5 months now and it is easily one of my favorite effects to perform and one of the hardest hitting effects i do. People cant get over how impossible it is and the invasive feeling they get. Keep up the good work and keep performing

Well, I have been working on card tricks and flourishes for about 2.5 months. I haven't performed the tricks to a whole lot of people until this weekend. In large part, because I'd practice a sleight over and over. Then do it in the mirror till it looks perfect. Then I'd I perform the trick for someone and my hands would shake and I'd start fumbling the cards.

I was at a conference with a lot of people I've known for years. I set out to perform a lot of card tricks, so I could get over being nervous and get in a lot of experience.

I had planned out the tricks in tiers. I'd start with some easy ones and work my way up. The first tier was two from How to Do Street Magic. I think they are called trick switch and trace unseen. My second tier was waving aces, biddle trick, and haunted deck with a loop. Then I planed to try the bluff pass with a shapeshifter reveal and Wayne Houchin's French Kiss.

It ended up working perfectly. Because I would do a trick for someone, and they'd come back later with another person or two and say do that for so and so. I didn't want to do the same tricks in front of the same people. So I'd say ok sure, and then do an even harder trick. The original person would be impressed all over again.

One thing that I've listened to Houchin and Brad Christian talk about is how people will remember tricks even better than they really were. I couldn't really picture that happened to me. But it did with the Haunted Deck trick big time.

I did it for two people. A 19 year old girl and a 22 year old guy I was sharing a room with. The 19 year old girl described the trick to some other people as "the deck split in half and both sides went it two different directions." The dude told people, and this is his exact words "The entire deck exploded!" I heard him say these exact words to multiple people. He had a bunch of other people wanting so see it. Well, I couldn't do the trick after his over the top description. So I played it cool. I said, "I'll do it again at the November board meeting and it will be even better." Then I would just go into a different trick.

I even had a random hotel guest actually get angry because I wouldn't tell him how I did the biddle trick! He oerheard a girl ask me for one of my decks to play a game. He was trying to hit on this girl and she told him about my tricks. Well later at the bar he comes up to me and says "I know this awesome card trick that will stump anyone." So he proceeds to show me the most moronic lame, drawn out card trick I've ever seen and it required an accomplish to perform!

Then he goes, so what kind of tricks can you do? I do the biddle trick on him and he has a look of just total shock and goes, "you have got to teach me that." Well, I refused and he actually got pissed off and angry about it. :p

I had done the waving aces trick on a few guys and got a great reaction. The one guy has a drop dead smoking hot wife named Dani. He goes, you have to do that for Dani. So about an hour later he comes over with his wife and some other guys and says, do that that trick again. I go into the full french kiss routine. (I had done the trick on some guys to get practice, without doing the french kiss routine. This was my first time doing Wayne's actual routine.) The reaction I got exceeded anything even on the Art of Magic DVD.

The girl screams "open your mouth! where is the real card!" She actually thought I had forged her signature on a duplicate card and had hidden it in my mouth before the trick started! Then she goes "so what the hell is this card .. Oh my god!!!" and everyone else explodes into laughter and is heaping praise on my abilities.

I had some humorous reactions, one guy asked me how did I stick a card in my sleeve and then pull it back out so fast. At least three other people said something to the effort, "wow that was cool, where did you get a trick deck that can do that!" Then I'd just hand them the whole deck and they'd have a much bigger reaction when it sunk in that it wasn't a gimmicked deck.

Anyway, the reaction I had to French Kiss alone was enough to motivate me to continue further into card magic and keep going. Sorry this post took so long to get to the point.
i love the thread, that goes to show you how great Houchin work is....also you owe it to yourself for making them think so highly of you....

i did french kiss for the for one of our professors, who's like my age, i mean we're always hanging out and stuff,plus she's so hot, so when i did it, she nearly went crazy....i must say, presentation is everything to say the least.......

i'm not big on flourishing, but card magic is usually my setup for other effects, i love the reactions you described...it was a classic i bet, i bet that guy that was trying to find out your secrets was really jealous wasn't he????

May 4, 2009
I have some ideas about using mentalism as a start up for some card tricks. Hopefully this post isn't considered exposure. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, but all the info is all from my own personal observation, not any book or video.

When I do waving aces and french kiss, I ask the person to name their favorite card. Just like Wayne does on the Art of Magic DVD. I have been trying to keep a running tally of what cards people pick. Guys pick the Ace of Spades a lot, which I don't think would work good. If you told someone you knew they were going to pick the Ace of Spades, they would probably say, "big deal, everyone picks it." But so far girls have always picked a Queen or a Seven, and the suit is usually Hearts.

I still need to gather some more data, but I think if I start loading the bottom of the deck with the two most popular cards that women pick I can add a little extra surprise at the beginning of the trick. A little theatrics and/or color change and I think it would enhance the effect in that it would make the whole routine seem very fast moving.

Jun 29, 2009
This thread is awesome.

You've only been handling cards for 2-3 months? Your progress is amazing.

I'm happy to see you are getting these reactions. Keep moving along and doing these tricks for these reactions because it will start to open doors for you, seriously. Its always good to have another thing you are a professional at.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results