Invisible Deck - Do you put the card back in Reversed in front of Audience?

Dec 7, 2016
On the Invisible Deck Instructions by Daryl. He says to put the card back in front of your audience. (My example being a walk-around, table hoping magician) Because it will have you instantly reset for the next table. Which is great yes! But i don`t like putting it back in the deck in front of the audience. Or at least i don`t have good reason to tell the audience why i`m putting it back in "upside down". It looks suspicious to me and after a mind blowing trick. Daryl said to say something like, I think this is going to be the card the next person is going to pick. Which isnt a bad reason at all. I`m just in search for more reasons why I would put it back in reversed. Have you any good ideas on what a magician could say to the audience in this situation?

Dec 7, 2016
Why give a reason at all?

The trick is done, the reactions are happening, put the card back in the deck and put it away. If you explain it, it draws attention to it. If you just do it, people will forget about it.
You have a fair point Christopher. Thanks making that a whole lot easier.

Reactions: Justin.Morris

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I don't give a reason either, I just put it away and move on.

If you were worried about it, you could cut the deck at the reversed card and remove it. If the deck is square it look innocent on all sides. Place the deck without the selection face down inside the box. Wait a beat, then place the card face up in the box. The time misdirection will fool just about anybody. Besides, after the trick is over the cards lose their importance in the minds of the spectators.

Dan Harlan puts the cards behind his back to "set up" the reversed card. If you wanted to use Daryl's ploy you could place the card and selection behind your back, assemble them as needed, and say that you are setting it up for the next group. With the cards behind your back they don't see which card it will be.

Reactions: GrahamHorgan
Jul 26, 2016
I agree with Christopher and Josh's thinking and approach on this, which are in line with an old and wise saying in Magic: "Don't run when they are not chasing you." And they are not chasing you at the end of the ID; they are too busy picking their jaws up off the ground and are not going to give it a second thought if you simply place the card back upside down (i.e. face down) right where it was. This is assuming they even notice that you did so, which is highly unlikely. My own approach is to have them draw the face down card out of the deck, and as they are looking at it and/or showing it around, I simply cut all the cards to the right of the selection to the bottom. When I take back the card, I just casually place it face down on the bottom and I am reset to go. This works for me because I never have the cards in any particular set order. I have never had a single person even appear to notice what I've done at the end of the trick, much less call me on it or express suspicion. Is it necessary to do it that way? I would say no, but it's the way I've been doing it for decades, probably out of my original (and unwarranted) paranoia that it would look suspicious if I stuck it back face-down in the same place.

Dec 7, 2016
I don't give a reason either, I just put it away and move on.

If you were worried about it, you could cut the deck at the reversed card and remove it. If the deck is square it look innocent on all sides. Place the deck without the selection face down inside the box. Wait a beat, then place the card face up in the box. The time misdirection will fool just about anybody. Besides, after the trick is over the cards lose their importance in the minds of the spectators.

Dan Harlan puts the cards behind his back to "set up" the reversed card. If you wanted to use Daryl's ploy you could place the card and selection behind your back, assemble them as needed, and say that you are setting it up for the next group. With the cards behind your back they don't see which card it will be.
Thanks very much Josh. I think I'll just put it back in reversed. To be honest, cutting the invisible or just putting it any other way other than its original form would confuse me. I'd be paranoid I would accidentally put it in an order I wouldn't understand.

Dec 7, 2016
I agree with Christopher and Josh's thinking and approach on this, which are in line with an old and wise saying in Magic: "Don't run when they are not chasing you." And they are not chasing you at the end of the ID; they are too busy picking their jaws up off the ground and are not going to give it a second thought if you simply place the card back upside down (i.e. face down) right where it was. This is assuming they even notice that you did so, which is highly unlikely. My own approach is to have them draw the face down card out of the deck, and as they are looking at it and/or showing it around, I simply cut all the cards to the right of the selection to the bottom. When I take back the card, I just casually place it face down on the bottom and I am reset to go. This works for me because I never have the cards in any particular set order. I have never had a single person even appear to notice what I've done at the end of the trick, much less call me on it or express suspicion. Is it necessary to do it that way? I would say no, but it's the way I've been doing it for decades, probably out of my original (and unwarranted) paranoia that it would look suspicious if I stuck it back face-down in the same place.
Thanks man. They're good tips. Like I just said to Josh. If I cut the deck and changed the original order. I would be paranoid I wouldn't be able to understand it. Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it.

Jul 26, 2016
No prob, Graham, you're welcome! Enjoy it and of course do it in the way that's natural and comfortable for you. It has been around for a very long time, and remains one of the very strongest effects, not just in card magic, but in all of Magic, in terms of audience reaction.

Reactions: GrahamHorgan
Jun 11, 2017
On the Invisible Deck Instructions by Daryl. He says to put the card back in front of your audience. (My example being a walk-around, table hoping magician) Because it will have you instantly reset for the next table. Which is great yes! But i don`t like putting it back in the deck in front of the audience. Or at least i don`t have good reason to tell the audience why i`m putting it back in "upside down". It looks suspicious to me and after a mind blowing trick. Daryl said to say something like, I think this is going to be the card the next person is going to pick. Which isnt a bad reason at all. I`m just in search for more reasons why I would put it back in reversed. Have you any good ideas on what a magician could say to the audience in this situation?

Hey, he means put it back in the same way as the deck. He even says that it's not the sort of trick to do twice in a row.

Apr 11, 2022
I do it in front and have never had a question.
also I remember aspects of it such as:
I always place the cards in the box with the ODD numbers facing the box with the CURVE thumb thumb edge. I tell myself the curve is odd, therefore cards facing that side are ODD numbered. Regarding pairing the suites, I always remember The Diamond Club. i.e. Diamonds are paired with clubs therefore hearts are paired with spades.

I also recomend the trick split focus.

Oct 4, 2022
Al e Cat Dabra wrote: "simply cut all the cards to the right of the selection to the bottom. When I take back the card, I just casually place it face down on the bottom and I am reset to go."

That's excellent!

I've only done this trick at home with my family as an audience a couple of times. I put the card back in, and nobody ever noticed. But if they did ask, I suppose I would say that it has to disappear back into the land of imagination, put it back in right where it came from {and do something casually which the rules don't allow me to mention or I'll get squashed like a bug by a moderator}, fan again and show the card is gone, making it a 2nd jaw dropper rather than trying to find an excuse.

Aug 7, 2023
Honestly, don't use the an invisible deck to perform the invisible deck. If you're going to use a gimmick for your magic, use the Advocate. It's a pocket index that you can make with just a deck of cards and the box. It takes a lot more practice than an invisible deck, but excellence isn't easy, and it makes the invisible deck (and brainwave, and ACAAN, and a bunch of other things) FASDIU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 6, 2023
I usually perform ungimmicked variations of the invisible deck such as Hades by Phedon Bilek, something I forget the name of by Giancarlo Scalia, or Invisible Memory by Craig Petty for a multitude of reasons. I will occasionally perform All Alone by David Regal (Invisible Deck with a blank deck kicker) in which the gimmicked deck can be seen from both sides, and in that case, I never even remove the card. I like All Alone because it not only eliminates sleight of hand as a method, but also justifies why I need to get out a different deck.

Aug 7, 2023
I usually perform ungimmicked variations of the invisible deck such as Hades by Phedon Bilek, something I forget the name of by Giancarlo Scalia, or Invisible Memory by Craig Petty for a multitude of reasons. I will occasionally perform All Alone by David Regal (Invisible Deck with a blank deck kicker) in which the gimmicked deck can be seen from both sides, and in that case, I never even remove the card. I like All Alone because it not only eliminates sleight of hand as a method, but also justifies why I need to get out a different deck.
Do you have an impromptu invisible deck you'd recommend? I'm not afraid of difficult slight-of-hand, but I want to use the absolute minimum number of gimmicks when I perform.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
As most mentioned, don't worry about it, just don't focus the attention on it. You are putting the card in the deck, so that you can put the deck away. It's natural.
However, I do it using a sleight that I forgot the name of. It's basically the one where you spread the cards in your right hand, the card you want to flip is on the bottom of that spread, and in the action of closing the spread to square the deck, that card ends up being reversed.
I hope I didn't make it even more confusing, but the sleight can be found on Daniel Garcia's Project 4-5-6. Hope that helps :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results