Is Magic art?

• Yes

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • It can be

Votes: 30 39.0%

• Total voters
corporate america uses "art" as a tagline so I can buy the mona lisa?
Do you honestly look at the Mona Lisa and go 'Daymmm brudda!'?
It's not as emotionally stirring as magic can be, but art doesn't necessarily mean emotionally stirring.

Then why do artists donate paintings or lent them to museums?
Because artists aren't art, they're people.
What about theatre?
Theatre is a performing art, and therefore an art.
Magic is not a performing art, and therefore not.

Visual, I don't really want to argue with you here, as you're one of the good ones, and I'm on your side. So I ask that we keep our own opinions and respectfully disagree with each other :)

....friends? :D

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
magic isnt art. people make it art. look at phones. they just did the job, that all people cared about but now they have become art cuz people design them in different and nice ways

Worst arguement yet.By your rationele then art does not exist.
You say people make it art.
ANYTHING that is considered art is named such by people. Art is not divinely purposed. Its man made. It is what humans say it is. Art can be and is defined.
Magic is DEFINED and world recognized as a performing art. It is DRAMA.The magician is acting. It is a performance. THEATRE.
Why are we still even talking about this?

BTW DESIGNS on the phone can be art. But that does not make the phone art. Its just the design. Its as if your saying the paper I paint on is art.No its not. What I deraw on it is.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Do you honestly look at the Mona Lisa and go 'Daymmm brudda!'?
It's not as emotionally stirring as magic can be, but art doesn't necessarily mean emotionally stirring.]

That is a matter of opinion and cant be subject to discussion. People find more depth in the mona lisa than a card trick. I know because ive been a witness to such situations.
Sure we can respectfully disagree. But im still arguing against the whole idea of magic not being art.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Why are people so set on convincing others that it is not an art?
They know a few card sleights and can fool some of their friends and relatives. They're generally viewed more as "tricksters" then performers and therefore feel that way about it. Note also that they generally use the same exact presentation as taught by the creator of the effect or some cheesy unoriginal story that further distances themselves from those watching due to the silliness of it.

There’s nothing wrong with being a trickster and knowing some effects to show your friends or maybe relatives at the family BBQ but that doesn’t mean you can't connect on a personal level, or have a good presentation, or be original and create to draw the desired emotion. Is that not a form of art even if they don’t view it as such or give themselves due credit for it? It is what it is weather recognized or not.

Theatre is a performing art, and therefore an art.
Magic is not a performing art, and therefore not.

Are you really going to go there Tumble? Why do you think this way? What about magic to you, doesn't make it a performance art? I'm very much inclined to disagree with you on this point, but I want to hear your POV. I'm not talking down to you, however I am very curious.

Are you really going to go there Tumble? Why do you think this way? What about magic to you, doesn't make it a performance art? I'm very much inclined to disagree with you on this point, but I want to hear your POV. I'm not talking down to you, however I am very curious.

Of course, I'd love to discuss :)

A performing art, to me, involves not only acting, but a whole lot of preparation. This may sound weak, but I feel that if you need to act in your magic, you're not being yourself.

In this definition, stage magic would definitely count as a performing art, and I agree with that completely. Stage magic involves a lot of control, and confidence, and also power over an extremely large audience. Not to mention all the practice involved in the process.

What I feel, is that everyone here is trying to convince me that them performing to their schoolyard chums is art. Don't fool yourself guys, you're magicians. I'm not trying to bring you all down, because seriously, I'm one too. I'm not putting magic down either, I'm just saying, that in my eyes, no matter how great magic is, it's a completely different topic from art.

Showing card tricks to friends does not make you an artist. There are ways which magic can be an art, but I feel that for the most part of the audience I'm talking to now, magic is not an art.

Disagree all you like, but I've made up my mind, and let's be honest, it's not going to affect your lives at all, so please, everyone: Let me disagree in peace :)

By the way William, I've seen your magic. And you are one of the few exceptions that takes magic on stage and makes it an art.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I agree.

Give a kid a paintbrush, it won't make him an artist and it won't make what he just created a piece of art. Give Van Gogh a paintbrush and now you might be on to something.

Sometimes a painting is just a painting.

It's okay to disagree and it's okay to debate about one's opinions. Chances are we won't being changing minds completely but keeping your mind opens might change just a bit and understand other's views.

Now what you are saying is exactly what is the original post. However technically speaking it is a performance art, I still don't classify it under personal definition.

You are right though, most of the kids we see and even some the older magicians can't perform at all. What they do isn't art at all just a bunch of tricks that barely entertains. We're on the same subject just we disagree apparently on different chapters of the same book.

It's difficult to see art performed in a close up environment but it does and can happen. The problem is we just see the same things again and again, the same cardistry videos using the same Dana Hocking music. When we see and do real performances it gives us a anchor, something to latch onto and hold for dear life. Then only can climb our way to the top inch by inch, until we finally break the surface of real magic, real art, that doesn't just entertain but astonishes on a personal level.

Nov 26, 2009
ofcourse it is.....it takes year to learn, and even more to perfect, its a performing art, that takes skill, paitence and most of all u express yourself through it....

A performing art, to me, involves not only acting, but a whole lot of preparation. This may sound weak, but I feel that if you need to act in your magic, you're not being yourself.

In this definition, stage magic would definitely count as a performing art, and I agree with that completely. Stage magic involves a lot of control, and confidence, and also power over an extremely large audience. Not to mention all the practice involved in the process.

What I feel, is that everyone here is trying to convince me that them performing to their schoolyard chums is art. Don't fool yourself guys, you're magicians. I'm not trying to bring you all down, because seriously, I'm one too. I'm not putting magic down either, I'm just saying, that in my eyes, no matter how great magic is, it's a completely different topic from art.

Showing card tricks to friends does not make you an artist. There are ways which magic can be an art, but I feel that for the most part of the audience I'm talking to now, magic is not an art.

Disagree all you like, but I've made up my mind, and let's be honest, it's not going to affect your lives at all, so please, everyone: Let me disagree in peace :)

By the way William, I've seen your magic. And you are one of the few exceptions that takes magic on stage and makes it an art.

I think I can agree with you on just about everything there. My perspective is always that of theater. However if you consider doing card tricks at recess as an option, then you are probably right. That's not really art. Of course I'd go further to argue that it's not really -magic- either. But that's just me.

And thank you very much for the kind complement!

Well then you pretty much agreed with my original post. You don't find art or even magic in recess or break from P.E. Rather something a bit different of a stage, but it isn't necessary for that venue.

I'm not really gonna explain any further since I'm incredibly tired right now but I think most of us can agree that a 13 year old in recess doing tricks isn't art. It takes something a bit more than sleight of hand to make something magic.

Okay this is why we need The Tumble here :), he just get stuff moving again.

But i agree with Tumble on this actually, scrap my initial post this man is a genius!

Mikk

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
Then why do artists donate paintings or lent them to museums?

Because artists aren't art, they're people.
[/COLOR]

lol i just saw that post very very funny

Worst arguement yet.By your rationele then art does not exist.
You say people make it art.
ANYTHING that is considered art is named such by people. Art is not divinely purposed. Its man made. It is what humans say it is. Art can be and is defined.
Magic is DEFINED and world recognized as a performing art. It is DRAMA.The magician is acting. It is a performance. THEATRE.
Why are we still even talking about this?

BTW DESIGNS on the phone can be art. But that does not make the phone art. Its just the design. Its as if your saying the paper I paint on is art.No its not. What I deraw on it is.

lol
u said and i quote"Art is not divinely purposed. Its man made. It is what humans say it is. "

i say people make art u say art is man made. what the difference?

art doesnt exist without man. art doesnt exist without someone calling it art.

some dude puts his own crap in a bottle and calls it art and puts it into a gallery for people to see. some people say it isnt art. some people do (or it wouldnt be in a gallery)

its a mind set. i can show a card trick and is not art. if i made my own up u could say then it is art. but if i put a nice performane it could be art.

when people draw its not always art. i doodle and i dont call it art and i dont knwo anyone how has aclled my doodles art (anyone here want to call my doodles art?) but when i choose to do art i make art. my mind set changes. my pictures have a conpect, a message, a point. im not just drawing cuz i like to cuz they is doodling. im doing it for the message or point not cuz i gots an exam or i want to sell it for moneys.

art is a concept. red was only red when people saw a difference between other colours and gave it a name. it was alway there but it wasnt always red to we made it red. just like pink. its light red but no its not light red its pink but light blue and dark blue is just blue.

magic is just misdriction slight of hand and sugestion etc
just like paint is paint.
u need to make it art. its doesnt start off as art.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results