Is that a trick deck?

Mar 19, 2008
My place!
hey i have performed once or twice, but i don't have the best audience control. whenever i pull out my deck of cards i immediately get "is that a trick deck?" i would let them look at it first ,but i often have card set up in it for card transposes (they seem to work really well). i don't uses custom decks just some stratus cards (by carti mundi i think they are big in Europe). but i live in N.Z. where there is no dominant card company

please help

Sep 2, 2007
Switzerland
Hi.

Maybe it's the way you present yourself. Some magicians seem to turn into different people when they perform a trick, they get all mysterious and magiciany. If that's the case, try to stay natural and be yourself.

But I've never really heard that question myself as far as I can remember..

Anyways, if you really hear it that much, I suggest you store the double in your pocket before you do a trick. That way, you can hand out the deck, let them confirm thats it's ok, then do 1-2 tricks before you palm the card in your pocket and bring it into play when the time is right.

Probably didn't help much sorry, but I don't know what else you could do.

Cheers

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Why not tell them the truth ? "No, it isn't"

I know, it isn't hard.

There are heaps of questions similar to this that have the easiest answer, but magicians always try to make it harder, it seems. It's like magicians suddenly turn into laypeople and totally ignore the most obvious solution, and go for the most "out there" one.

What i did was really funny... I started a craze for magic tricks at my school by doing tricks on other people, and everybody was asking, " where the hell do i find Bycycle cards", so i bought some from 808 and i sold them for a fair price $5 each, so when all the people got bored and couldnt be bothered learning anymore and practicing, the craze ended and I was the only one doing magic still (except 2 others who had been doing magic for a year longer than me) , but everyone knew what Bikes were and that they were jsut another deck of cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
What i did was really funny... I started a crazy for amgic tricks at my school, and everybody was asking, " where the hell do i find Bycycle cards", so i bought some from 808 and i sold them for a fair price $5 each, so when all the people got bored and couldnt be bothered learning anymore and practicing, the craze ended and I was the only one doing magic still (except 2 others who had been doing magic for a year longer than me) , but everyone knew what Bikes were and that they were jsut another deck of cards.

I don't like the idea of magic being a fad..

Oct 6, 2007
Hey,

I think it's actually a good question, and you're not ring to find an answer to the actual question- you're trying to avoid it..? Is that a fair guess?

Anyway, my answer would be (as somebody suggested above) is to maybe act a little more natural with your magic and cards.
In no way am I saying you act weird with cards, becasue you're some guy on the net!
Since you seem to have just started performing ("2 or 3 times"), maybe act more casual with cards. Or maybe instead of just going up to people with magic, walk up to them showing flourishes so taht immediately takes away the possibilty of them being tricked out cards, yo.

Just continue performing, and as you get more and more natural with cards in front of real people, the question will fade.

Feb 8, 2008
Not many people might like this answer, but if they ask, just tell them it is one. Tell them that it's so tricky that looking through the deck very closely won't reveal a thing. Either that, or you can be sarcastic.

Sep 1, 2007
When I get this question I just hand the deck out for shuffling. Seems to settle everyone down. If that's not an option, I tell them that I'll let them examine everything when I'm done - and they never remember. If they ever do, that's ok because I always end clean.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Q: Is that a trick deck?
A: Nope, but I can do a trick with this deck...

A: No, it's a deck trick.

A: No, it's a FLIP deck. (do a TG Murphy Deckflip)

A: Is that a trick question?

Came up with the last two myself. Feel free to use them.

Cheers,
Shanku :D

Sep 2, 2007
Switzerland
Before they can even ask the question, let them examine the deck...

I wouldn't do that. Personally, I think that's the most suspicious thing you can do..
"This is an ordinary deck" *hands out deck* (= there's something fishy about it)
"This is just an ordinary card" .. "now watch" (= it's a double)
or
"There are 1-2-3-4 cards" (= there are 3, 5 or more cards :))

I try to avoid those lines as much as I can. They're everything but natural.

Shanku said:
Why is the King of Hearts stabbing himself in the head?
(I bet most of you went through your deck to look at the King of Hearts just now... )

Nope :) I asked myself that a few times as well :)

Fantastic contribution there, Shanku - cheers. :)

Stripper decks (also known as "Tapered Decks") are very common and popular in the UK. They are no real secret and are often the explanation, in a laymens mind, to a lot of effects - they are extremely familiar. If I am asked this question, I often reply that it is -- and I explain it's "one of them trick packs that are cut unevenly at one end". I continue to demonstrate it casually by using Edward Marlo's "Stripper Deck Gag" and then ask ther spectator if they'd like to play around with it themselves - very rarely do they say no (after all, it's just a bit of fun).

Needless to say, when they attempt - they find it's actually just a normal pack. When they look at me confused, I simply reveal "Just kidding, it's actually just a normal pack :)" as I grin like a big girl, lol.

Jordan

Mar 19, 2008
My place!
thanks for the help guys

why is the king of hearts is stabbing himself

i heard once that all the kings in a deck are famous English kings, and that the king of hearts committed suicide,

or that may be wrong and he invented brain surgery

whatever one you like best

A: Nope, but I can do a trick with this deck...

A: No, it's a deck trick.

A: No, it's a FLIP deck. (do a TG Murphy Deckflip)

A: Is that a trick question?

Came up with the last two myself. Feel free to use them.

Cheers,
Shanku :D

Haha those are great, especially the deck flip one. Other than that just do what most people said and act natural. And if worse comes to worse and your set up for a transpo, learn how to do a cull and let the spec shuffle then just cull the cards you need back to the top.

Sep 1, 2007
Italy
hey i have performed once or twice, but i don't have the best audience control. whenever i pull out my deck of cards i immediately get "is that a trick deck?" i would let them look at it first ,but i often have card set up in it for card transposes (they seem to work really well). i don't uses custom decks just some stratus cards (by carti mundi i think they are big in Europe). but i live in N.Z. where there is no dominant card company

please help

how many cards do you setup for a transpo? 52?. Usually I give the deck to the spectator and I ask to shuffle, so they can also examine it, then I control the card I need with some cut or culls while presenting the trick. In this way they examined the deck and probably won't ask you to shuffel it anymore.

Remember also that you can do the setup (like controlling duplicates to te top etc) while they are doing something else like showing the selection to the audience or signing it...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results