Journey To The Center Of The Deck

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Thank you sir! I'm not saying the effect and presentation don't need work, they need a lot of work. I'm just bothered by the people that merely bash my personality and technique. I'm an actor so I'm naturally dramatic, and I find that it's great in terms of holding an audiences. I would never change it. It's what makes my magic theatrical and that's my goal with my work. I just need to bulk up the scripting for this one.

I must repeat myself. I'm not putting on a voice. That's actually how I talk. Meet me in real life, I sound no different.

Like I said, I'm reworking the routine so it's less "laughable". I know how my persona works onstagevand it came across in the wrong way in the video. For that I apologize.

The "voice" people are talking about the over-exaggerated melodramatic tone you use and the words you choose. I doubt very much you go around saying, "I am going to make an exciting journey to the refrigerator to get a beverage... not just any beverage but a white beverage... not just a white beverage but MILK, yes... that is what I said, MILK. I can barely hold back my excitement and anticipation."

Part of the problem is that you are using a stage voice for close-up performance. Its like using a megaphone to talk to the person next to you. The voice does work well for stage (perhaps with a little less melodrama), but not for close-up. Close-up magic should be a conversation. Just as you wouldn't wear stage makeup for a close-up performance, you shouldn't use a stage voice for close-up.

Another issue is that the patter doesn't fit the voice. There is nothing strange or dangerous about your card trick. They are cards, nothing more. They cannot experience danger. It is very much like my example of the glass of milk... you seem to be trying to make something dramatic that just isn't. This is why people feel "insulted" or that you are talking down to them. There is a disconnect between the drama you convey with your voice and the card trick.

Also, the patter is no different that the say-do-see patter that too many magicians use. All you are doing is dramatically narrating what is happening in the effect. The Jules Verne narration is no more effective than someone trying to mimic Howard Cosell (yeah, I'm dating myself) saying "and the card goes up the middle of the deck and gets stopped cold. It's time for a replacement from the bench."

Finally, your patter attempts to over convince. The first time I saw it (when I was watching for presentation and not
technical issues) my reaction was that you were naming the cards and their location WAY too often. Also, the swiping the card through the deck at the end of the effect made me think about the method. If I was a lay spectator, I would think that you switched cards while swiping the other through the deck (I know that isn't the method). That doesn't seem to be magic but skill (even more so when coupled with the flourishes and card snapping).

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
Thank you sir! I'm not saying the effect and presentation don't need work, they need a lot of work. I'm just bothered by the people that merely bash my personality and technique. I'm an actor so I'm naturally dramatic, and I find that it's great in terms of holding an audiences. I would never change it. It's what makes my magic theatrical and that's my goal with my work. I just need to bulk up the scripting for this one.

Well I'm not sure why everyone's complaining. The trick's not bad, and it was performed well. Saying Michael needs to change his performance style is liking asking someone to change their personality. I've seen many magicians who have a similar style to Michael here, and I find them to be funny and engaging :)
Geez, I've seen less bashing on a Towtox thread.

its not your charater of technique. i like them both. it is your performance. i believe that you talk like that. i mumble when i talk. it is my natural talking voice but my normal voice is no good for when i perform. i seem unconfident when im really not. Just something to think about (but if it your voice let people live with it).

oh yeah i can only wish that you people give me this treatment if i put something up.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results