Juan Tamariz - Card Magic

Aug 31, 2007
Both. 3 card monte and the one at the end.

I'm not sure about the 3 card monte, but the last effect is very similar to something Tom Mullica put out called Tom-Foolery Transformation, a packet trick using a series of buckle counts to accomplish the effect. It can be purchased from here, about half-way down the page. You might have to use different cards to get the exact effect that Tamariz did (with those particular backs, etc.), but once you learn Mullica's, you should be able to adapt it.

Hope that helps.

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
The first one is just a gaffed 3-card monte, the second one is a Tamariz effect called '4 blue cards' and it's a very awesome effect when done slow as well.

Dec 14, 2007
Should we give away secrets that professional magicians use on their TV shows?

Would we like it if someone came here after seeing US do a show - in school, at a restaurant - and everyone told them what it was or where to buy it?

Tamariz has several books in print. If you are interested in his work - buy them. You will learn a lot AND you will be getting the material from the person authorized to share it - the creator.

Brad Henderson

Aug 31, 2007
Should we give away secrets that professional magicians use on their TV shows?

Would we like it if someone came here after seeing US do a show - in school, at a restaurant - and everyone told them what it was or where to buy it?

Tamariz has several books in print. If you are interested in his work - buy them. You will learn a lot AND you will be getting the material from the person authorized to share it - the creator.

Brad Henderson

Brad,

Who are you directing your comment at? If it's directed towards what I said, then I don't quite understand what you're saying. I'm just trying to help the guy out... Perhaps you could elaborate a bit?

Dec 14, 2007
It is generally considered bad form to ask about tricks from a magician's professional repertoire. So, I am addressing the behavior.

If, of course, that magician has released his trick, then it is generally considered ok to point people in that direction (which you almost did), however even then I think we are reinforcing a behavior that hurts magic more than it helps.

Of course, if someone came up to us at one of our shows and asked "How did that guy on TV last night do that trick?" we wouldn't give them the name of the book - even if the magician had created the trick and sold it - would we?

While everyone here may have an interest in magic, does that mean we should give the store away with each question asked? Knowledge of where to find the material is as important as knowledge of the material itself.

Magicians spend years finding and creating material for their use. Most people agree that to rip off an original creation is wrong, but many believe it's just as wrong to copy tricks that another performer found. If they find a trick in an old book and make it come to life, who are we to go and start doing it just because someone tells us where it is in print? We are taking away from their work, their effort, and their uniqueness.

So, if someone had pointed to questioner to works of Tamariz, that would be one thing. (I personally think it's a little too free to do in a forum of people of so many levels and interests, but that's just me.) To point someone to the work of another so they can end up replicating what they saw in another magician's show - that to me is questionable.

brad Henderson

p.s. and it's not "just" a gimmicked 3 card monte. It is truly BRILLIANT and there is so much to learn from it - when you listen to Tamariz teach it.

Aug 31, 2007
Brad,

You make excellent points; thanks for responding. In the future, I think I will "feel a person out" a bit before I point them to resources, and then I will do it using a private message.

That being said, I was under the impression that Tamariz's "4 Blue Cards" is not an effect that can be found in any of his released material (at least in English), which is why I pointed the OP to the Mullica effect. Is that not accurate?

Thanks for your help.

Dec 14, 2007
Not sure about 4 BLue Cards. In fact, I am not sure it is one of his effects. (The monte is.) I don't know anyone else who has really made anything happen with that (blue cards) trick, so it seems a shame to dilute that by pointing people to sources. Now - if Tamariz had marketed it, then it becomes a different story.

But I appreciate your understanding.

Brad Henderson

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results