Liars and Cheats?

Dec 10, 2007
ok but seriously, i thought that the patter was dull, and the trick was not practical. If you are performing for magicians, then they will obviously see that you have the card in Tenkai and its really not a magician-fooler any way. And if you are performing for laymen there are much stronger effects that you could do in similar situations.

So i would have to say that i didnt like it.

Feb 28, 2008
That was pretty nice... I don't know if it works as a stand alone performance. I think it would be nice to incorporate it into something bigger.

Nov 10, 2007
ok but seriously, i thought that the patter was dull, and the trick was not practical. If you are performing for magicians, then they will obviously see that you have the card in Tenkai and its really not a magician-fooler any way. And if you are performing for laymen there are much stronger effects that you could do in similar situations.

So i would have to say that i didnt like it.

Why would it matter if it is a magician fooler or not, did I say it was a magician fooler? No so that was unnecessary. 2nd off the effect is very practial and have used it before with no suspicion at all.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I don't know if you invented it, but it was a nice utility move, albeit only useful in certain angles and situations.

When you steal the card, try to turn around slower, it felt as if you did something sneaky, otherwise you wouldn't have shifted yourself so quickly ;(

Gustav

Nov 10, 2007
I don't know if you invented it, but it was a nice utility move, albeit only useful in certain angles and situations.

When you steal the card, try to turn around slower, it felt as if you did something sneaky, otherwise you wouldn't have shifted yourself so quickly ;(

Gustav

OK thanks I will try that and know I definately did not create that someone in my ring who is fabulous with cards showed me. I really want to get him on video so you can see he has been doing magic 5 years and does everything at a perfect has patter and is great with audienes:)

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
To be honest, the patter didn't seem to have much to do with the trick and it had an unnatural discrepancy in it. With enough patter and build up, it might be quite nice but I feel that if somebody saw this, they'd just say 'Yeah, you took the card out and hid it, big wow.' Sorry, it's my honest opinion. If it works for you, great. I don't really like it though; a utility move perhaps but not a trick.

Nov 10, 2007
Thank you I have been trying this more for people and they dont see what I am doing but it does not seem it is getting great reactions so I am going to have to change the patter.
suggestions.................anyone

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hey man..as mentioned before, it is a great move, slow it down though if you can because it looks like you are being sneaky by doing fast shifting. Otherwise it will be good to build a little patter or bigger effect with it.

I actually watched quite a few of your videos because I never have and you definitely have put many hours into what you do. I am just starting with cards and I thought your tricks, changes, etc. looked great. Keep up the good work.

Where can I learn the Outlaw trick?

Thanks,
Rick

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Thank you I have been trying this more for people and they dont see what I am doing but it does not seem it is getting great reactions so I am going to have to change the patter.
suggestions.................anyone

Rafer back to Random's forums post ;)

Where can I learn the Outlaw trick?

Thanks,
Rick

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe it is his own trick!
However, there is a Daniel MAdison effect that's calle dOutlaw, if you're interested.

Gustav

Please understand that this is constructive critism and I don't mean to belittle you or your performance in any way. I hope to if at anything make you stronger by this.

After watching your video I have some thoughts for you. I'll start with patter.
You say just before .18 in your video that you will "prove that magicians aren't liers and cheats ... that we are just normal, everyday, average people."

I want you to stop right there and think about that for two seconds. You completely take the wind out of your own sail with that statement. Magicians aren't normal people. "Normal" people can't cut and restore rope, they can't make tigers appear or cards jump to the top of a deck over and over. If they could then they wouldn't need to watch you perform. They'd just do it themselves.

As a magician you perform miracles for people. You should be almost supernatural in their eyes. Magic is 80% performance and 20% technique. If you degrade yourself or your performance by presenting it as "normal" or "ordenary" then that is exactly how your spectator will precieve it.

Your Tenkai hold is good. But I would be selective of who I perform this for. This isn't something that is suitable for EVERY occassion since it is angle tricky. This doesn't strike me as a stand alone effect. Might be good to use in conjunction with a card rutine.

The patter doesn't work for me. Your opening statement is that you are going to prove that magicans aren't liers and cheats. So I expect to see some proof of that by the conclusion of the act. Instead, it feels kind of awkward patter wise and in the end you don't prove anything more than you can magically find a card. I would throw away the entire script and rewrite it. Maybe you'll prove that you can locate the selected card FASTER than anyone else? Or maybe you know with just the right tap that BINGO! The card is right at your fingertips.

Over all I give the performance a 5 out of 10. You could be so much stronger if the presentation was better.

Oct 28, 2007
i think that this trick is unfinished, why? it can be easily modified to were you won't have that angly setting as you do with the tenkai such as a cascade control seems unnecessary, and when the trick was over it seemed like there was going to be more, you explained the cheat but not the liar. re think it and add on too it.

Dec 10, 2007
Why would it matter if it is a magician fooler or not, did I say it was a magician fooler? No so that was unnecessary. 2nd off the effect is very practial and have used it before with no suspicion at all.

I don't think that saying it wasn't a magician fooler was unnecessary at all. You are going to perform for 1 of 2 types of people, magicians or laymen. So I wrote what I thought about it in both situations. For laymen, I think there are a lot of much stronger effects that you could do in a similar situation. You said yourself that you weren't getting great reactions. It's because the trick isn't that impressive... You produce a selected card that never leaves you hands. Laymen have probably seen plenty of magicians produce full fans of cards from their hands, and they have seen David Blaine stick a card to the inside of a window. That is what laymen are expecting when they see card magic. And this trck just fails to deliver. In laymen's eyes it would be much more impressive to have forced a card and revealed it in some cool way. Also things that involve your spectators tend to hit harder. You've completely eliminated your audience from the trick and because of that you aren't getting great reactions.

The other group that you would be performing for could only be other magicians (or people that are familiar with sleight of hand). Those people wont find fooling at all because of your awkward Tenkai. I wasn't saying that you claimed it to be a magician fooler, just that it would fool magicians and it wouldn't impress laymen. Thus also making the effect impractical. Sure you CAN do it (i didn't really expect laymen to call you out in the first place on the trick, so i have no doubts you got away with out suspension), but there is no real point to perform this trick because of its awkward handling and lack of appeal to laymen.

For those reasons I didn't like it. I hope that I sufficently explained my original post. If not feel free to comment and I'd be glad to further explain.

Take care,
Victor Cruz

Nov 10, 2007
But to a spectator the card does leave my hand, to a spectator I never even touched the card, they dont know I have it in longitudinal tenkai. I still think it was unnecessary for you to state that it was not a magician fooler because I was not directing the trick to be a magician fooler neither do I really drect any effects to be a magician fooler because magic is not about the magicians its about the spectators.

Nov 10, 2007
Please understand that this is constructive critism and I don't mean to belittle you or your performance in any way. I hope to if at anything make you stronger by this.

After watching your video I have some thoughts for you. I'll start with patter.
You say just before .18 in your video that you will "prove that magicians aren't liers and cheats ... that we are just normal, everyday, average people."

I want you to stop right there and think about that for two seconds. You completely take the wind out of your own sail with that statement. Magicians aren't normal people. "Normal" people can't cut and restore rope, they can't make tigers appear or cards jump to the top of a deck over and over. If they could then they wouldn't need to watch you perform. They'd just do it themselves.

As a magician you perform miracles for people. You should be almost supernatural in their eyes. Magic is 80% performance and 20% technique. If you degrade yourself or your performance by presenting it as "normal" or "ordenary" then that is exactly how your spectator will precieve it.

Your Tenkai hold is good. But I would be selective of who I perform this for. This isn't something that is suitable for EVERY occassion since it is angle tricky. This doesn't strike me as a stand alone effect. Might be good to use in conjunction with a card rutine.

The patter doesn't work for me. Your opening statement is that you are going to prove that magicans aren't liers and cheats. So I expect to see some proof of that by the conclusion of the act. Instead, it feels kind of awkward patter wise and in the end you don't prove anything more than you can magically find a card. I would throw away the entire script and rewrite it. Maybe you'll prove that you can locate the selected card FASTER than anyone else? Or maybe you know with just the right tap that BINGO! The card is right at your fingertips.

Over all I give the performance a 5 out of 10. You could be so much stronger if the presentation was better.

I have not been using this much anymore but I would like to use it in a card routine rather then a stand alone effect like you said it would be a much better effect. That being said suggestions anyone.....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results