Liquid Metal 2 - Strebler

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I'm a huge fan of psychokinesis, both of my DVDs are on PK and the majority of my working rep consists of such things. Metal bending is a subject close to my heart, so it was no secret that I've been looking forward to Liquid Metal 2 since I heard about the project.

There are lots of sources to learn the basics of metal bending out there in book, DVD and download form, however, I've NEVER seen anyone do to cutlery what Morgan does to his forks.

The Effect: So how does the routine differ from Liquid Metal 1? (Which, by the way, is also taught in it's entirety on this DVD)

LM2 has similarities to LM1, however, it's got some massive differences that take the routine to a totally different place. It's a very, VERY unique looking routine.

You have two forks, you find a place on the floor or the wall in which a shadow is cast. You have the spectators watch the shadow of the fork and it simply melts. You then ask a spectator to rub the shadow, the fork begins to bend further, reacting to their 'shadow-touch.' From there, you have the spectator literally pluck the shadow of the head of the fork from the handle - sure enough, the actual head of the fork flies off the handle.

You twist and bend another fork like the original LM1 fork, you also twist one of the tines though - The visual here is INCREDIBLE.

The final phase of the routine is what Morgan calls 'the destruction.' The fork literally FALLS APART at your fingertips and the fingertips of a spectator. The tines melt and drop off and the head too. Again, this looks insane and would be impossible to replicate even with brute strength or a set of pliers!

Practicality: LM2 does require a bit of set up, but it's not a massive amount. 5 minutes would do you fine and you could blitz through a bunch of forks in one sitting.

I should note that Morgan goes in depth into the brands and types of forks that are best to use at each level and what he uses personally. What this guy doesn't know about forks you could write on the inside of a single tine.

Aside from the set up, the routine is just as practical as the original, the only phase that needs any kind of 'special conditions' is the shadow phase, in which you need light to be present - You could happily do this with the stylized light in a nightclub or in sunlight, but if you did have any difficulty with finding a shadow, you can just switch it out for the first phase of original liquid metal.

Teaching: As always, Morgan's teaching style is thorough and at a pace that's easy to understand, it's a clear studio explanation over the space of an hour and there are close ups throughout. Not much to say here - It's great.

Overall thoughts: If you like the look of the routine, it does what it says on the tin. If you're looking for an easy entry to metal bending, Morgan goes over everything you need to know to go from zero to hero.

A great release from Strebler, a high quality video that teaches an amazing routine. It's great value and I'd recommend it to anyone, magicians and mentalists alike.

DC.

Mar 10, 2011
Great review, Deechristopher! I just had a question though. when I purchased LM1 a few years ago, Morgan stated that he could have made a gimmick for the performance but he didn't. When you said "would be impossible to replicate even with brute strength or a set of pliers!" it just kind of gave me the vibe that there was "something" involved. If I'm totally off base then just set the record, no biggie. I just wondered because if LM2 did indeed come with an "it" then for some reason I would feel more comfortable with buying it. Don't ask why.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Forks are cheap - Even in small quantities. I can get a pack of 4 for about 30p here. In larger quantities they get much cheaper too.

It'd be a great intro to metal bending, but you'll want to look at other stuff too, Guy Bavli has some great stuff, Marc Spelmann has some great stuff too, Erick Castle and you can pick up my "Metal." DVD at your favorite magic shop or download it from mindlapse.net.

DC

I recently got the first Liquid Metal DVD and I'm just wondering what the most suitable forks are in the UK? Dee Christopher, you say you can get 4 for 30p, where's that from? I bought some forks from Wilko's but found that they were too strong.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Try Asda Tom, that's where I get all my cutlery from!

You may have to build up your finger strength a bit for the tines, but I don't like the Wilko's ones either. The Liquid Forks are a good way to build up your fingers, get them into the motions, etc. They're not super cheap, but worthwhile.

They feel strong, but then bend really easily if you put enough effort in. It's difficult to explain, the metal bends slowly and softly. You'll have to try them to see!

Best,

DC

Try Asda Tom, that's where I get all my cutlery from!

You may have to build up your finger strength a bit for the tines, but I don't like the Wilko's ones either. The Liquid Forks are a good way to build up your fingers, get them into the motions, etc. They're not super cheap, but worthwhile.

They feel strong, but then bend really easily if you put enough effort in. It's difficult to explain, the metal bends slowly and softly. You'll have to try them to see!

Best,

DC

Thank you for the very helpful reply. I definitely need to build up my finger strength so I think I will buy some Liquid Forks and then eventually move onto the Asda ones.

Thanks again,

Tom

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
No problems!

If you become quite addicted to the bending of metallic items, be sure to also check out my DVD/Download "METAL" from Mindapse.net and my feature length download "VEX" available here on the Wire or at The1914.com

best,

DC

Jan 4, 2012
lm1 first?

Is it recommended to purchase LM1 before LM2 (like a crawl before your walk type of deal) or does LM2 teach all LM1 techniques as well?

Cheers,
Moonrokk

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results