Sep 14, 2017
So i am a 16 year old magician and have been practicingfor around 3 years and have just gone into college. In school i never told anyone that i was a magician as i felt like i was still an amateur magician and still learning, but now i feel like i can perform and have excelled in my magic, altough i am still learning the different types of magic such as coins and everyday objects instead of cards. In my course, which is photography, we are doing a magazine project which we have to mimic and i was going to do dynamo but i still feel like i dont want to tell people at my college that i am a magician as i can only do card tricks at the minute but i really want to do the project on dynamo as it looks awsome, is there any tips you guys can give and should i jusy go for it and tell people that i am a magician?

Aug 6, 2017
I think telling people you are a magician is awesome. People will be say "cool!" and maybe they will want to see a trick which is fine. Do a trick you are comfortable with and maybe one that doesn't require intensive sleights if you get nervous. I think being a magician will make you the "cool" kid which people will see it as something interesting.

Reactions: KingLouis
Sep 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Being a Magician at any age is great. I am in University, and once was in high school like you. I practiced magic for over 5 years, and even if i was unsure about my skill level or a certain trick, I still preformed to people. Telling people your a magician makes you seem mysterious, cool and it gets lots of attention. As a magician you repersent the magic community, go ahead and tell everyone!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Just don't be a douche about it. As Jerry Seinfeld said, he hated working with magicians because they seem so full of themselves, as if they are the sole reason people are existing at the occasion.

It can get annoying being around someone who is full of themselves.

Sep 14, 2017
Being a Magician at any age is great. I am in University, and once was in high school like you. I practiced magic for over 5 years, and even if i was unsure about my skill level or a certain trick, I still preformed to people. Telling people your a magician makes you seem mysterious, cool and it gets lots of attention. As a magician you repersent the magic community, go ahead and tell everyone!
Yeh i will, but i just dont want to be pestered by people 24/7 asking for tricks and stuff, does this happen to you often or do people just leave you be. Also i dont have many friends at college as im new and i know that i shouldn't abuse magic to create friends but i was wondering if when you told people you were a magician that more people became friendly around you and talked to you?

Sep 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Yeh i will, but i just dont want to be pestered by people 24/7 asking for tricks and stuff, does this happen to you often or do people just leave you be. Also i dont have many friends at college as im new and i know that i shouldn't abuse magic to create friends but i was wondering if when you told people you were a magician that more people became friendly around you and talked to you?

When I told people that I was a magician people always refered to me in the hallway as "Magic dude" which was pretty awesome. I became friends with fellow sleight of hand artists who i did not even meet before, as well as people that i did not even speak to! Magic is very powerful it attracts attention but not too much. If you cant do a trick just tell them to come back later, that normally works. People normally dont always pester me for tricks unless they have nothing better to do, but if they care about academics they dont pester alot.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I don't think magic should define you. If magic defines you, then are people friends with you or your magic? It is definitely an interesting social topic you can use to develop friendships, but not really one to start one. People are not going to constantly bother you for tricks, especially not after you've been friends with them for a bit. They may ask you occasionally, but not in an annoying way.

Sep 2, 2017
When I was younger (around 13) I was bullied for doing magic and I quit. I was bullied for doing youtube videos(2008 moreless), and I quit. Nowdays, being a youtuber is cool and I can tell you that being a magician and performing magic I very cool. People just love it and it will help you to socialize and make friends. It is a very cool way to introduce yourself. Don't be afraid, do what you love and enjoy it.

Perception.

It's all about perception as my business partner always tells me. You need to make a plan of how you want people to perceive you and a course of action on how you plan to implement that perception to your classmates.

I get where you are coming from. Magic today, at least in my immediate networks, is seen as something very dorky that only nerdy people do. That is their perception of what magic is. They see it as the ridiculous looking magician that goes to a kids birthday party and does card tricks or something. They don't perceive it the way I would because they more than likely have not been exposed to the brilliance of David Blaine, Darcy Oake, or Shin Lim.

This happened to me in my entrepreneurship class. I had invited the professor to come see my show because my side hustle is basically an entertainment production company and I wanted him to see what it was first hand. Unfortunately he was not able to make it due to a medical appointment but he did call me out during the middle of class once and asked how my show went. I told him that it went good and I was very pleased with how it turned out. A student from across the room asked what kind of a show it was to which I shyly replied it was an illusion show (trying to avoid the word magic like the plague). I think this confused the class because the professor clarified it was a magic show to which the class kind of giggled and snickered at this.

A girl behind me asked if I sawed a lady in half to which I replied "No but I stripped down half naked and covered myself head to toe in industrial chain and pulled off the Houdini chain escape. " The tone of the class began to change after that. The professor asked how the turn out was and I replied " I was very pleased with the turn out. We filled every seat in the auditorium and had to seat some of the youngest audience members on the floor. We had people ages 6-76 attend and had a very diverse crowd. For a free show, I was able to still make money off of it."

At that point the perception of my show and who I was to the class had changed. The class (to my belief) no longer saw me as the guy who wears a top hat, cape and a vest with a bunch of card tricks and streamers. Instead they now saw me as someone who was serious about what I do and that it was more of a stunt show than a kids birthday party act. But I think what really intrigued them was my turn out and the fact that I made money on it. Money talks as they say and I go even further to say it has the loudest voice.

That is how I changed the perception of my classmates. I consider myself to be an avid hobbyist of magic rather than an actual magician so I always shy away from telling people that I'm a magician because of the stigma behind it. Instead I tell them I'm an entertainer that likes to tell unique stories to people. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors to "come out" as a magician.

Reactions: ArielB.
Sep 14, 2017
Perception.

It's all about perception as my business partner always tells me. You need to make a plan of how you want people to perceive you and a course of action on how you plan to implement that perception to your classmates.

I get where you are coming from. Magic today, at least in my immediate networks, is seen as something very dorky that only nerdy people do. That is their perception of what magic is. They see it as the ridiculous looking magician that goes to a kids birthday party and does card tricks or something. They don't perceive it the way I would because they more than likely have not been exposed to the brilliance of David Blaine, Darcy Oake, or Shin Lim.

This happened to me in my entrepreneurship class. I had invited the professor to come see my show because my side hustle is basically an entertainment production company and I wanted him to see what it was first hand. Unfortunately he was not able to make it due to a medical appointment but he did call me out during the middle of class once and asked how my show went. I told him that it went good and I was very pleased with how it turned out. A student from across the room asked what kind of a show it was to which I shyly replied it was an illusion show (trying to avoid the word magic like the plague). I think this confused the class because the professor clarified it was a magic show to which the class kind of giggled and snickered at this.

A girl behind me asked if I sawed a lady in half to which I replied "No but I stripped down half naked and covered myself head to toe in industrial chain and pulled off the Houdini chain escape. " The tone of the class began to change after that. The professor asked how the turn out was and I replied " I was very pleased with the turn out. We filled every seat in the auditorium and had to seat some of the youngest audience members on the floor. We had people ages 6-76 attend and had a very diverse crowd. For a free show, I was able to still make money off of it."

At that point the perception of my show and who I was to the class had changed. The class (to my belief) no longer saw me as the guy who wears a top hat, cape and a vest with a bunch of card tricks and streamers. Instead they now saw me as someone who was serious about what I do and that it was more of a stunt show than a kids birthday party act. But I think what really intrigued them was my turn out and the fact that I made money on it. Money talks as they say and I go even further to say it has the loudest voice.

That is how I changed the perception of my classmates. I consider myself to be an avid hobbyist of magic rather than an actual magician so I always shy away from telling people that I'm a magician because of the stigma behind it. Instead I tell them I'm an entertainer that likes to tell unique stories to people. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors to "come out" as a magician.
Hey thanks, the only reason i think i shy away is because i do card tricks at the minute, although i get great reactions when i show audiences when im called out by someone that knows im a magician, i think their perception changes from when i actually show them something, i would really like to do the project but i know alongside that i will be asked to show something which doesn't bother me but unlike you i do card tricks whereas you are performing to big crowds.

Sep 14, 2017
Perception.

In other words i dont want to be seem as a lame. Someone that does card tricks but from experience i get great reactions so i am debating to do the project on dynamo

Feb 1, 2017
Being a magician doesn't make you lame. Being lame makes you lame. If you look lame and say you're a magician, well then you'll be perceived as lame.

Imagine a skinny kid with nerd glasses, pimples, braces, and a bow tie stand up in your class and say in a nasally voice, "I like to play League of Legends on my free time". Then imagine a tall, dark, and handsome guy, perfect teeth, and pecs coming out of his turtle neck. If he said the same thing, it'd be different.

The way you present yourself and your character is what makes or doesn't make you lame.

Aug 15, 2017
So i am a 16 year old magician and have been practicingfor around 3 years and have just gone into college. In school i never told anyone that i was a magician as i felt like i was still an amateur magician and still learning, but now i feel like i can perform and have excelled in my magic, altough i am still learning the different types of magic such as coins and everyday objects instead of cards. In my course, which is photography, we are doing a magazine project which we have to mimic and i was going to do dynamo but i still feel like i dont want to tell people at my college that i am a magician as i can only do card tricks at the minute but i really want to do the project on dynamo as it looks awsome, is there any tips you guys can give and should i jusy go for it and tell people that i am a magician?
Tell people you are a magician, there is nothing better than that, it doesn't and CAN'T get any better.
Because people are going to give you a lot of attention immediately, but remember, magicians have to prove themselves when starting out...so keep some of your quick and powerful effects ready (that super-long and dramatic effect of yours can wait) and get ready to become all popular easily.
In fact, though it doesn't matter now, you should have told at your school as well. No matter how bad one is, the audience (your school mates) will have seldom witnessed first person amazing magic.
Do the project on Dynamo if you want, but it is more important you go and expose yourself completely (figuratively speaking), it takes a lot of guts, but has amazing gifts to offer to the gutsy.
BTW...though you can completely ignore these words (they probably won't help you at all), if I was you, I would not perform any magic related project unless I had no choice or I knew it would fetch the best marks :) because I feel people are more impressed (at least in my case) if you are efficient,that is if you showed everyone that magic is where you are the best in the world, but it is not like you are the worst in the Universe when it comes to anything else at all. Just my thought :) :)

Sep 14, 2017
Tell people you are a magician, there is nothing better than that, it doesn't and CAN'T get any better.
Because people are going to give you a lot of attention immediately, but remember, magicians have to prove themselves when starting out...so keep some of your quick and powerful effects ready (that super-long and dramatic effect of yours can wait) and get ready to become all popular easily.
In fact, though it doesn't matter now, you should have told at your school as well. No matter how bad one is, the audience (your school mates) will have seldom witnessed first person amazing magic.
Do the project on Dynamo if you want, but it is more important you go and expose yourself completely (figuratively speaking), it takes a lot of guts, but has amazing gifts to offer to the gutsy.
BTW...though you can completely ignore these words (they probably won't help you at all), if I was you, I would not perform any magic related project unless I had no choice or I knew it would fetch the best marks :) because I feel people are more impressed (at least in my case) if you are efficient,that is if you showed everyone that magic is where you are the best in the world, but it is not like you are the worst in the Universe when it comes to anything else at all. Just my thought :) :)
Thanks, and the only reason I didn't really tell anyone at school, although alot of people knew from social media, was because at a point in school i would perform at breaks but was mocked for doing card tricks, i guess if i were to show them some magic now it wouls be different as i have improved alot more, but towards leaving school in my last year, it came back around and i did prophet, paper to money, and was mocked about that. I think this may be why i am abit concerned on telling people in college

Sep 14, 2017
Also i am at the age where i need a part time job before i go to restaurants and other places to perform as i need the money so that i can take my magic to another level, in my opinion, but should i tell the interviewer that i do magic, and does this help get jobs or has got you jobs?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results