Magic Fails

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Ah yes... I had a dancing cane routine to present a singer... it was supposed to be a quick number and then I introduce the singer... I step onto the stage..the music starts.. everybody pays attention... and then I broke the thread... I got goosebumps just to remember that fail....

Oct 8, 2019
When I was very young, I performed some card tricks to parents after a school event. One of the parents was not a magician, but had evidently at one point gone online to look up some of the secrets (he strikes me as the person who would do that just to feel superior). Anyway, ten-year old me performs the classic Svengali Deck. Some people are genuinely really impressed (in my opinion it is one of the best tricks for a beginner) and I get a good response. One woman asks her husband 'How did he do that?' Her husband was the guy I just mentioned, who proceeded to say very loudly in front of the crowd, 'Half the deck is the same cards which are shorter than the rest so you can't see them when you riffle through.'
Needless to say, ten year-old me was pretty disappointed. I no longer perform the Svengali Deck because I am worried that it is too commonly known, and since my sleight of hand is now much better I can perform more impressive ungimmicked effects.
That’s screwed up, I know people at school, people who don’t even like me, in fact they dislike me but they still don’t snitch on my methods when I’m performing.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
And just by that single post, you've scared me of attempting stunts for the rest of my life.

I actually have a line that addresses that in my sideshow act, or when I do the more genuinely dangerous things in my solo act. The short version is that if you want to try these things, just find someone who can teach you how to do it properly.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Ah yes... I had a dancing cane routine to present a singer... it was supposed to be a quick number and then I introduce the singer... I step onto the stage..the music starts.. everybody pays attention... and then I broke the thread... I got goosebumps just to remember that fail....
Oh no. And wow, you recovered from that!
:eek:

I actually have a line that addresses that in my sideshow act, or when I do the more genuinely dangerous things in my solo act. The short version is that if you want to try these things, just find someone who can teach you how to do it properly.
*deletes the fire-eating tutorials from her Watch Later list on You Tube*

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
I remember seeing Helder Guimaraes live at the castle testing a new effect at the time

In that case I can share two other famous magician’s fails. As well as share my opinion that it’s best not to admit that the trick did not go as planned if at all possible.

Watch how AGT Winner Matt Franco recovers from his failure

David Copperfield Plans for Failure

OPRAH: Are you ever scared, like, for instance--I mean, I know--I mean, every--all of us who are in front of the camera or, you know, work in any business really are--survive and can look good because of all the people who work with us. But, I mean, in the case where the--the fire and the ropes, like if somebody messes up, you're a goner?
COPPERFIELD: Yeah, I mean, human error is a really--you know, you have great precautions, you know. In the case of the car illusion I mentioned, it was the end of the show, so there's no plan B that I could go to. But normally there's a plan B and plan C and everybody is really trained to--to move in other directions, so you'll--hopefully you'll [never] know when something goes wrong.
OPRAH: So when that car fell from the levitation, what did you do?
COPPERFIELD: I looked real stupid

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Copperfield also dedicates a day a week (or month, not sure) to rehearsing the alternatives for when stuff inevitably goes wrong.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
In that case I can share two other famous magician’s fails. As well as share my opinion that it’s best not to admit that the trick did not go as planned if at all possible.

Of course. You should not admit you messed up if you are able to recover from it. Lol but how could Helder have recovered that? The cards didn’t match at all and the effect was over. I suppose he could have devised some sort of conveluded out but my guess was he simply forgot to reset his stack between sets which is why It didn’t work.
I agree that Franco did a good job recovering by making it seem like he “switched” the card because the audience didn’t know what was happening. But if the effect completely falls apart then what?

another brilliant example is David Williamson. He had a young kid (maybe 4 or 5) assist him with a trick. He says “look there are 4 aces here.” And the kid says no there are 5 cards and literally rips the gimmick in half. Lol how do you recover from that? Lol all he could do was laugh and move on to another effect.

Jun 8, 2020
I'm a fairly beginner magician, but I was trying to practice on some friends. I was about to do a trick with a si stebbins stack, and told someone to cut the cards. To my chagrin, he started to do an overhand shuffle. I didn't do a great job at hiding my shock, and so a couple people started to wonder if the deck had a prearanged order. I tried to do an impromptu trick then, but messed that one up too. Yeah, that was embarrassing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results