Magic is Dead - Clarification

Jan 23, 2008
Leeds, UK
I thought this was quite revelant...

"...my early experiences of magic pushed me away, people unwilling to accept me for who i was and what i was doing, magic was never a nice place for me. I think it's very important to make newcomers feel welcome and appreciated and respected for their ideas and goals, because they're the future of magic. Because of the way i was treated and many others like me, THEIR future will soon be ending as the outcasts have come together and ultimately taken over, it's poetic justice, quite like the bullied holding their fingers up to the bullies..."

Taken from a d+M interview.

Not sure about open slots, as i said, these are all cases of paths crossed and friendships made through which d+M has incidentally become a mentor, loving the role however he does plan to continue in the same vein when he's done with magic, but compared to what's planned, everything you've seen so far is just the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 23, 2008
Leeds, UK
£20 a minute
:D

If he was the kind of guy to charge for helping people he probably wouldn't be doing it
He makes enough money selling dog wigs to transexual cats

Nov 30, 2007
R3man, very nice posts. I read through them and they are very nicely written, they cleared many things up for myself and I am sure for others. I have two questions to be asked in this post. So lets get it started...

First Question:
I was reading through the posts and kept hearing MAGICisDEAD (obviously because it is the name of the site) and I began wondering in my head. Why did Daniel, or someone else, pick that name for the website. Does it have a specific meaning (which I am almost sure it does) and if so what is that meaning.

Second Question/ Comment:
I do not know that much of Daniel Madison and his past experiences at the card tables. I have only heard the least of the story in which he cheated and the tables, got caught, then got into magic. I would be very interested in finding out more about this. I think that it is a very cool story of Daniel Madison's life and how he switched from a card gambler to a magician. I think this question is more aimed at Daniel Madison to answer himself and I also realize it is a very personal question to answer and he might not want to answer. I feel that it would be very interesting to find out but once again if he is not comfortable sharing it, then please do not have him feel obligated to answer it.

Once again R3man, very nice posts. You wrote everything nicely so it was nice to read. Thanks for taking all this time and I thank you in advance to answering these questions if you do!

Jan 23, 2008
Leeds, UK
Thanks, and no problem
MiD came from d's relationship with magic, he wrote a maaaahooosive piece on the name for the site that never got posted explaining how there are more magicians that kill the art of magic than there are artists that care to keep it alive, and so came about a slogan he carried - magic is dead without the magician - meaning that those who destroy magic have no right to call themselves magicians, I'm pushing for d's MiD manifesto to be posted one day but until we know what we're doing with the site we feel it would be wrong to post such strong opinions. with no cause.

As for d's gambling-magic transition, the most he's wrote/spoke of it (outside of the cardcheathandbook introduction) was at the http://magicology.com/ interview, he does avoid talking about it which i can fully understand... bad times. I personally think the most interesting thing was that he self-discharged from hospital and travelled 4 miles home at 3am... in a wheelchair!!! just a few hours after waking up, all from fear that he would be finished off. He then became acrophobic and spent 5 and a bit months locked in his house healing and trying to beat paranoia. He wrote a mike tyson quote on his wall... Fear is my friend, fear protects me, he carried a similar quote to his new house My mind is a weapon, it will one day destroy me. He has a scrap book full of all of his ideas, on page 2 is a newspaper clipping about the missing victim.
(i checked all of this with d before posting, he edited quite a lot out; sorry)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2007
Thanks, and no problem
MiD came from d's relationship with magic, he wrote a maaaahooosive piece on the name for the site that never got posted explaining how there are more magicians that kill the art of magic than there are artists that care to keep it alive, and so came about a slogan he carried - magic is dead without the magician - meaning that those who destroy magic have no right to call themselves magicians, I'm pushing for d's MiD manifesto to be posted one day but until we know what we're doing with the site we feel it would be wrong to post such strong opinions. with no cause.

As for d's gambling-magic transition, the most he's wrote/spoke of it (outside of the cardcheathandbook introduction) was at the http://magicology.com/ interview, he does avoid talking about it which i can fully understand... bad times. I personally think the most interesting thing was that he self-discharged from hospital and travelled 4 miles home at 3am... in a wheelchair!!! just a few hours after waking up, all from fear that he would be finished off. He then became acrophobic and spent 5 and a bit months locked in his house healing and trying to beat paranoia. He wrote a mike tyson quote on his wall... Fear is my friend, fear protects me, he carried a similar quote to his new house My mind is a weapon, it will one day destroy me. He has a scrap book full of all of his ideas, on page 2 is a newspaper clipping about the missing victim.
(i checked all of this with d before posting, he edited quite a lot out; sorry)

R3man, thank you for your response. The meaning for magicisdead is very interesting. Although for me the most interesting was Daniel Madison's story. Once again thank you very much for sharing and thank you Daniel Madison for allowing to share some of your past. Like I said earlier I know it is personal and has to be extremely difficult to talk to. Its very interesting how quotes helped you recover. You can learn so much from quotes, they truly are inspirational. Once again thank you very much, and I hope I didn't make Daniel Madison say more than he wanted to.

Aug 31, 2007
California
It is a group of people that are trying to do "something" in magic. Everybody tries it. They want to be looked at. They want to "say something" to try and make people listen.

To me, it is a bunch of hoo ha.

But that is just me. Maybe it is something none of us, or anyone else for that matter is seeing.

Keenan

Jan 23, 2008
Leeds, UK
It is a group of people that are trying to do "something" in magic. Everybody tries it. They want to be looked at. They want to "say something" to try and make people listen.

To me, it is a bunch of hoo ha.

But that is just me. Maybe it is something none of us, or anyone else for that matter is seeing.

Keenan

Keenan, maybe you should re-read this entire thread before trying out an opinion, it's not a bunch of anybody, it's nothing more than speculation which has all been clarified in this thread... which was entire point of it.

The CCH is long gone, some of the material from the book became BLOOD and some more of it will be in PRIMER

I would love to know about the notion of "magic is dead, without the magician".

In your group's opinion ( no offense to other members, I'm not intrested in hearing other's point of view on this): What makes a good magician?, And are the magicians you're referring to, the one who have "no rights to call themselves magicians" are that common? Do they exist among the formations of serious ameatures and keen profesionals ( in other words, serious students of the art)? If the answer is yes, then where do you see the problem, in other words, why do you think this happened?

I read alot of posts throughout the years, that "magic is dead", from many magicians especially the young age, and all of them are hobbyiests who think they have the theory, and all other oldie magicians are inferior ( not to stereotype, but you get the idea ). When it comes to performance, you find that 99% of them completely lack performing skill, and 1% having below average performing skill. Adding to the problem, they don't have enough knowledge to come with that conclusion, as they have not studied the works of magicians who are known for their skill ( Vernon, Marlo, Ortiz ..... etc ). In other words, they talk big theory, seem over-zelous about everything, brag about things they've done making mountains out of aunt holes, but in real magical applications of moves and effects, They suck real bad.

Fortunatly, this kind of people is very easy to recoginize, which is why myself and many magicians know when to discuss, and when to ignore.

I'm not saying Mr.Madison and others are like this, which is why I'm intrested in your group's opinion on the subject. I'm sure the opinion will be educated and informative.

Cheers,

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I agree with Medifro, I'd love to hear some more of Daniel's or your opinion on this.

I think many people want to be into magic for the right reasons, and when those brief negative statements are made, it leaves new magicians left with no choice but to assume they are either helping or ruining magic, and without proper guidance, it recreates the same issue that most magicians recognized was wrong to begin with.

The Theory11 artist profiles have the question about what is wrong with magic on everybody's pages. I agree everything they say, and I think they are on the right page, but it also leaves readers hanging as well.

This whole issue is very confusing and vague, hopefully it will become clearer over time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results