Magic Like Derren Brown

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I just read the effect descriptions for ParaLies. I never thought I would spend $80 on a book but I'm going to. I've been in need of a new mentalism book and do believe I've found it. I was going to get 7 Deceptions by Jermay but that'll have to wait.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I just read the effect descriptions for ParaLies. I never thought I would spend $80 on a book but I'm going to. I've been in need of a new mentalism book and do believe I've found it. I was going to get 7 Deceptions by Jermay but that'll have to wait.

ParaLies and 7 Deceptions are very different. 7 Deceptions is almost solely made up of genuine psychological effects (with a few exceptions). The book is very much focused on making a spectator believe stuff through linguistics. ParaLies, on the other hand, has effects that appear to be psychological, but are achieved through a physical means. Both are great books, but it depends what you want out of them.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Also both those books are for people who have a fairly solid footing in mentalism. I would not recommend either of them to anyone who is only dabbling in mentalism. Also for practically the same money as 7 Deceptions you can get the much much more powerful Buliding Blocks.

Jul 13, 2009
Just chiming in, if you are a creative enough person you can turn just about any mentalist effect into a Derren Brown styled effect. It all depends on how you present the effect. I am pretty certain that half of the things he calls "Psychological forcing" etc. is like all good lies partially true and communicate in a way that it is more easily excepted as truth. Just my thoughts on the idea, I am quite happy with my deck of cards, markings, muscle reading and billet reading. All of which can be, more then less, found in 13 steps.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
ParaLies and 7 Deceptions are very different. 7 Deceptions is almost solely made up of genuine psychological effects (with a few exceptions). The book is very much focused on making a spectator believe stuff through linguistics. ParaLies, on the other hand, has effects that appear to be psychological, but are achieved through a physical means. Both are great books, but it depends what you want out of them.

I didn't say they were of the same nature. The reason I want ParaLies is because of Cinefauxbulation. I want to perform that in my schools talent show next semester. I'll get 7 Deceptions afterward for close up.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I didn't say they were of the same nature. The reason I want ParaLies is because of Cinefauxbulation. I want to perform that in my schools talent show next semester. I'll get 7 Deceptions afterward for close up.

Cool. As long as you're getting the right thing rather than buying something thinking it's something else...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results