Magic Mentors

Apr 15, 2010
I've been reading some magic sites and forums, and i came across a post on iTricks, where they pointed out how essential it was for a young magician to have a mentor.

So I've been thinking about the whole idea of a mentor guiding me to become more experienced, and now with school being over, I've got a lot more time on my hands to practice and pursue this.

What are your takes on having a mentor? And if you agree to this, where and how do you go about finding someone? Do you think it'll cost anything, or are there people out there who mentor for free?

Just some simple questions i had on my mind for awhile now. Thanks for your input!

Sadly while this is certainly a good thing to have, it isn't something that you can just go out and get. Any mentor worth their weight in wisdom isn't someone that would charge for their service. That's what a teacher does. The dynamic of your relationship between yourself and a teacher is different than what it would be like between you and a mentor. A mentor (to me) is a lot closer.

To bring this into a shorter closure, a mentor is a relationship that builds upon itself and just happens. It's not something I think you can really go looking for. It's something that you find you've already had, or it just develops.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I met my mentor through my IBM ring and found out he lived just two streets over from me. When we do 2 hour lessons he does charge $40.00 but I think that is a steal for who he is and what his credentials are. Most guys of his professional caliber would charge 2 or 3 times that for a 2 hour lesson.

If I just call him up or we are out somewhere I can run material by him and he refines some of the movements...etc. or gives me quick tips on the fly.

Sometimes I'll just call him and ask for advice about how I should handle a particular gig or client. Other times we will just bounce ideas off of each other and I tell him what I think about some of his new material.

I think having a mentor is a huge advantage rather than learning by just jumping into the fire. When you have someone who has already jumped through all of the hoops and can show you the ropes....man does it help.

Anyone else who has a mentor...please share how it has been for you.

I've been reading some magic sites and forums, and i came across a post on iTricks, where they pointed out how essential it was for a young magician to have a mentor.

So I've been thinking about the whole idea of a mentor guiding me to become more experienced, and now with school being over, I've got a lot more time on my hands to practice and pursue this.

What are your takes on having a mentor? And if you agree to this, where and how do you go about finding someone? Do you think it'll cost anything, or are there people out there who mentor for free?

Just some simple questions i had on my mind for awhile now. Thanks for your input!

Having a mentor is essential, but it could be pricey. An other day to get the same result like having a mentor is go out with other magician and jam. Jam as much as you can, and you will find that you will get almost the same result as having a mentor with less cost.

i find that having a mentor would be a great thing you could learn so much from him in angles /psycology/ missdirection and much more!!

there are magicians out there that will teach you for money while other might not it depends!!

i for one have a student but its the only one i teach and its not any rathom person i teach he hase to show me that he is into magic that he will keep it a secret and that he is determind to learn!! i used to teach my cusin but now he is at a point that he doesnt need my advise anymore and can learn from his own mistakes and create his own conception on magic!! a year later i found my new student and ill dnt ask for money just his attention and respect for the Art !!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I had neither...nor a magic mentor or magicians to jam...I am convinced that in my case...that was a good thing

since I have always learn a lot of things on my own and this was no different...see I always wanted somebody to teach me or help me with my magic, somebody real and that could sit down with me and teach me and criticize me...

there are not magicians to jam with...hell...here there are not magicians...so I had to learn everythin from scratch and make a lot of mistakes...a lot of failures and a lot of dissapointments...

but It was ok for me...those failures made me the magician I am now...and very importantly...I developed my own style and presentation...

Now I give magic classes and anytime somebody ask me to help them I gladly do it...I mean, working alone was good for me...but I don`t wanna anybody else to be alone especially begginers so I offer my help whenever I can and when I have the chance to jam with magicians I go without hesitation

Apr 15, 2010
Thanks for everybody's input and suggestions! Looking forward to hearing more. I find that maybe I don't even need a mentor, but only a friend or of the sort to also appreciate magic as much as I do. To have a close friend practice with me, I'd feel comfortable and we could joke but also be serious about material, It'd help instantly break a comfort barrier. Not only that, but I find being mentored is great, but also, one learns best sometimes by teaching as well, and by having a friend who also enjoys magic, and teaching him/her, it will also enhance my view on it.

Plus, I have this constant problem with shaking, every time I perform something, small or big trick, I start to shake right after. I believe it may be because I'm scared of whether I'm doing it wrong or if I might've revealed it. Anyone else have this problem? Or use to feel this way as well? And if you did, how would you suggest to overcome this? I know practicing it and being confident with your material is key, but any other pointers possibly?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Plus, I have this constant problem with shaking, every time I perform something, small or big trick, I start to shake right after. I believe it may be because I'm scared of whether I'm doing it wrong or if I might've revealed it. Anyone else have this problem? Or use to feel this way as well? And if you did, how would you suggest to overcome this? I know practicing it and being confident with your material is key, but any other pointers possibly?

Mentors are very valuable for any discipline in life. They offer something unique to a friend that you would practice with. Best way to find a mentor is to get connected with guys that you respect and see have quality in their showmanship, that you want to aspire to. Then spend as much time with them as you can and hopefully that relationship will develop. You could at some point ask them to mentor you, but it is perhaps a bit nicer when that relationship is not forced (tho it can work either way).

With regards to your shaking, I have something called 'essential fine tremor'. My hands always have a sleight shake when I try to hold them still. This is aggravated with adrenaline. When I start performing, my first effect is usually pretty shaky. Then as I get more comfortable, the shaking stops.

So I open with an effect that does not bring attention to my hands close up (often a silk production). If I am doing close up work, then I open with an effect that I have done thousands of times. I am not nervous with the effect and I get to know the people I am performing for during the effect. The third tip is that in my opening patter, I ask the audience questions. This takes the attention away from me and puts it on them. So questions like, "What is your name" "Do you have a favorite card?" "do you remember you card?" "do you know why there are Jokers in a deck of cards?" etc -anything that goes with my effect. These small questions take peoples eyes off of me and on to them (makes for great misdirection for a shift too).

Hope that helps. If you are comfortable with your effects, then you won't be shaky.

May 7, 2009
i shake constantly when i perform. i was born with it. my mom said ive had shaky hands for as long as she can remember. I have worked at it and i dont shake as much anymore. Just try to focus on it. Obviously nerves increase the shaking but i just work at it.

Sep 7, 2008
I've had a mentor for years, and I credit much of my knowledge about this art to him. I've been his student for just about six years, and we've became good friends. I frequently help him out by going to his shows and we talk on the phone multiple times a week. Having him teach me one-on-one made the learning process much more efficient, and I can't imagine what my magic would be without him.

Jeff

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
i shake constantly when i perform. i was born with it. my mom said ive had shaky hands for as long as she can remember. I have worked at it and i dont shake as much anymore. Just try to focus on it. Obviously nerves increase the shaking but i just work at it.

You probably have a EFT as well. Worth looking into with your doctor.

j

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Sadly while this is certainly a good thing to have, it isn't something that you can just go out and get. Any mentor worth their weight in wisdom isn't someone that would charge for their service. That's what a teacher does. The dynamic of your relationship between yourself and a teacher is different than what it would be like between you and a mentor. A mentor (to me) is a lot closer.

To bring this into a shorter closure, a mentor is a relationship that builds upon itself and just happens. It's not something I think you can really go looking for. It's something that you find you've already had, or it just develops.

i echo william. and i would like to point you in the direction of the most recent jason england podcast. where he talks about a brain trust.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results