Magic Rant

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
Disclaimer: I am in no way, through this thread, trying to make myself look like a professional flawless magician by the topic that I am going to rant about. Again I am appealing to the more seasoned and experienced professionals on this forum for a formulated opinion.

The topic I wan to discuss is the idea of "magic for magicians".

Recently I came across a young group of magicians complaining about Daniel Madison's latest release and the website Ellusionist by calling the effects s***t and a waste of money. This irritated me. Highly.

Essentially the newer generations (myself being one of them however my thinking is completely different) feel that the effects being released on today's market are weak and useless due to the fact that they are not fooled and can easily figure out the effect.

Granted, however, that there are effects on the market that aren't unique in any way but the magic community is not a utopia and such instances can be forgiven.

Why I am bothered by this is because a lot of new magic tends to be criticized on it's ability to fool magicians instead of laymen and this is not how magic should be. In my opinion magic should be based on performance value and impact on lay audiences rather than magician audiences and I understand that it really is good, as a magician, to be floored by a fantastic effect, however I am aware that it is not the ENTIRE magic community that works in this manner but a rather small portion of it, and that is something I think we should steer clear from.

I am bothered by the fact that a lot of newer magicians believe that good magic fools magicians whereas the experienced performer believes a good effect is one that is creative, presentable, practical and deceiving (to a lay audience that is ;) ) The latter being how I think most magicians should value newer ideas.

I am aware that I am going to get a lot of heat for this thread but it is something that has been sitting on my chest for a while now and I know I am not the only person who feels this way.

Please feel free to post your opinions below as I would love to hear what you guys have to say about this. Thanks in advance!! :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Personally, when confronted with this mentality, I just ignore it.

Those people are entitled to their opinion - I do not have to listen to it or believe it.

I only worry about what my audience thinks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results