Magic Videos Without Patter

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
One thing that I don't understand is why 90% of magic videos doesn't have any patter. Instead the video is being covered up by music and fancy editing, which sometimes irritates me because a beautiful magic routine with perfectly done sleights is worthless without any patter. The only exception that I will give to this is if it's just a 30 second video containing a simple transposition or an ace production. I understand that some people doesn't feel comfortable talking in the video but I would really appreciate it more if there's at least a subtitle. When people puts up a card routine video without any patter it just makes me feel that they're not putting in any effort in trying to present the effect. A magic video with patter and well executed sleights inspires me, on the other hand, a magic video without patter but perfectly done sleights is boring to me. Well, this is just my opinion for now. What do you guys think about a magic video without any patter?

Nov 27, 2009
I happen to agree. I would have patter in my videos if my camera had a better mic. As it is, I don't make too many videos so that doesn't matter. I would like to see more videos with an actual presentation.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
I completely agree with you 100% I was even thinking today when I got up why people don't talk in their videos. Magic is 30% skill and 70% presentation aka patter. I then applied it to myself. I might not feel comfortable because presentation is actually the hardest part of magic. To have a great presentation is something that takes years and years of practice to achieve. Anyone can get a slight down but it is hard to get the skills to make good patter in the first place. That is just what I think though. If and when I do make a video and put it up (which is very unlikely because I have worked very hard on my presentations and therefore want no one to steal them) I will be sure to have patter in it.

Apr 1, 2009
California
presentation is not only talking. I think it should be said that 90% of the videos have no "presentation". One of the most beautiful effects and performances I've ever seen, brought me near tears, had not a single word. And that was Teller's "Shadows". Also, a video in the media section here is without patter and easily one of the best I've ever seen, "Heaver Smoker" by Lorenzo Paletti. The effect does not end after you learn the sleights. You need to sit down (or stand) and ask yourself how you want to perform it. With patter? Without patter? Why with patter? Why without? What message do you want to get across to your audience? Will words increase or decrease the power of the piece you're performing? Will certain words? There is a lot to consider. It's pretty naive to say that you NEED patter to make a good performance. Patter can often times make a wonderful piece of magic, simply magical. Paul Vigil is of the best I've ever seen in regards to patter. But I've also seen a great many performers talk and talk and talk. creative stories they tell and what not, but it's so dull and diminishes the moment. So think about it. Videos are also often ruined by music. angle. the clothes worn. Where the video is being taken. Etc... Also things to take into consideration.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
presentation is not only talking. I think it should be said that 90% of the videos have no "presentation". One of the most beautiful effects and performances I've ever seen, brought me near tears, had not a single word. And that was Teller's "Shadows". Also, a video in the media section here is without patter and easily one of the best I've ever seen, "Heaver Smoker" by Lorenzo Paletti. The effect does not end after you learn the sleights. You need to sit down (or stand) and ask yourself how you want to perform it. With patter? Without patter? Why with patter? Why without? What message do you want to get across to your audience? Will words increase or decrease the power of the piece you're performing? Will certain words? There is a lot to consider. It's pretty naive to say that you NEED patter to make a good performance. Patter can often times make a wonderful piece of magic, simply magical. Paul Vigil is of the best I've ever seen in regards to patter. But I've also seen a great many performers talk and talk and talk. creative stories they tell and what not, but it's so dull and diminishes the moment. So think about it. Videos are also often ruined by music. angle. the clothes worn. Where the video is being taken. Etc... Also things to take into consideration.

I get where you're coming from. There are many forms of magic with music and no words or silent that are beautiful however most videos are of close up magic and I have yet to see something extremely powerful or great that doesn't have verbal patter.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
In this situation, I'm talking in terms of close up card or coin routine that is being done in front of a camera. Without patter the effect can get very confusing for instance why do you have to put the aces on the table, showed them on the deck and point to the cards with a weird gesture of your hand, and then put them back down on the table. Most of the time in a video without talking, the person uses their hands like a sign language performing for a deaf person. Without patter, the plot, logic, and meaning of the effect can get confusing. For example in a collectors routine, why does the cards have to go on top of the deck in order to capture the selected cards, why can't you just leave it on the table? In Teller's shadow routines, I agree that patter is not needed because the visual and the magic speaks for itself without any actions that doesn't make sense to the audience, same thing with card manipulation on stage. If you go and watch some invisible palm, collectors, and even twisting the aces video without patter, would you be wondering why the aces have to turn over or even question the point of the effect?

Mar 21, 2010
The Earth
Patter is key in a magician's day to day work. It's a fact I'm not here to deny nor to attempt to. But a lot of magicians are willing to let their hands do the talking. Now, I think a lot of it depends on the effect. If it's The Queens or something of that ilk, patter isn't desperately necessary, and also hard to come by. It's hard to find an engaging story for that effect, so is patter a dire need? No. But if you're trying to perform Time Machine, or a sandwich effect, yeah, patter is incredibly important. Those who go without patter, you could say they are over-confident, or they simply don't need it. But patter always adds to an effect. The question resides as to how much it affects the effect. Yes. Pun intended.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Well I think that it depends on the purpose of the video.

If you want feedback on the sleights, I don't see a problem doing a 40sec long video showcasing the sleight in cuestion just to see what others think about it and how can it be improved.

Howewer if we are talking about a entire routine, then patter is definetly needed.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I get where you're coming from. There are many forms of magic with music and no words or silent that are beautiful however most videos are of close up magic and I have yet to see something extremely powerful or great that doesn't have verbal patter.

Teller's Shadows routine is beyond beautiful and practically perfect asfar as magic is concerned... In my opinion. That is a stage piece yes, but plays ver intimately. Paletti's is very close up. He manages to tell a story without uttering a single word. I've shown that video to laymen friends and their response is "that is magic." then upon further discussion they discussed with me that if that is how magic is presented, it would be as big and respected as music or film. I've seen many of the great magicians perform. And just because they're legends does not necessarily make everything they do ideal for me. Elmsley is a genius. Watching him perform just doesn't do it for me. Beautiful sleight of hand. But I don't like his patter. It's well worded. It's clear and fluid. I suppose it fits his style. And fits very well. But I just don't enjoy it a great deal. Same can be said for many others. I use hin as an example because he is the most recent in my viewing. When performing, everything must be taken into account. It's not just method and the words. It's like a symphony. You need to understand which ingredients work best for the piece. Just like you don't want flourishes to distract fr the magic. You don't want your words to distract from in either. Or your silence on the otherhand. It depends.

Jan 23, 2011
I personally think it depends on the trick. Some tricks are so visual and effective that patter would take away from the effect, but in other cases patter is needed to make the effect work.
Thats just my opinion.
GarlingMagic.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I see where you guys are coming from. All of you have very good points. Just make sure your patter isn't boring. Make it suit your style of course, but don't let it become boring. One of my favorite examples of this is b.Smith's trick Frequency. I saw him do this live, and I gotta tell you, it was amazing. His patter was perfect, he drew the crowd in with it, and then did the effect. Jaws dropped. It was perfect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results