Magic vs. Destruction

Oct 18, 2008
Hey theory11 Forum Members.

Have you ever had that feeling when you perform a " bill in lemon" effect or have a spectator sign a bill and have it appear in a impossible location either with a corner ripped off or all sticky from a piece of fruit or even torn in half? Has your spectator ever lost that sense of wonder and magic because of this? I have thought about this alot and trying to come up with a solution to this? I find it horribe when you just do a AWSOME! bill to fruit effect and the audiance goes wild but the spectator looks at you like the MAGIC just sunk out of him because his bill is destroyed in some way.

Anyways, thanks for reading, now on to the question: Has this ever happened to you, if yes? how do u take this task on when it happens? I know an easy answer would just be: Use! playing cards instead of money!. I find money more visual and more universal, thats just my opinion.

Lets hear yours! what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Robert. S

May 9, 2009
Something similar happened to me once. I was doing a torn and restored bill with a friend's bill, and I had it signed. He was amazed by the trick but didn't really want the bill back, so he let me have it! However, if he wanted it back I probably would have given him a new one.

If you're looking for a different way to identify a bill, you could have the spectator write down the serial number. I've seen this used before. and it seems to have the same effect.

Hope this helped!

Jan 13, 2008
Sign it with erasable ink, or pencil? Pencil may not be as immediately visual, but still, it doesn't ruin the bill.

Or, like was mentioned, just return a different bill. "Here, let me give you a bill without any marks on it...*pulls out wallet*" A little common courtesy goes a long way; most people appreciate the gesture. :)

Oct 18, 2008
Sign it with erasable ink, or pencil? Pencil may not be as immediately visual, but still, it doesn't ruin the bill.

Or, like was mentioned, just return a different bill. "Here, let me give you a bill without any marks on it...*pulls out wallet*" A little common courtesy goes a long way; most people appreciate the gesture. :)

Thanks for the help!, I like the idea of just giving another bill, i wonder if this is done on T.V ever? ...probably after filming :).

Have you ever had that feeling when you perform a " bill in lemon" effect or have a spectator sign a bill and have it appear in a impossible location either with a corner ripped off or all sticky from a piece of fruit or even torn in half? Has your spectator ever lost that sense of wonder and magic because of this? I have thought about this alot and trying to come up with a solution to this? I find it horribe when you just do a AWSOME! bill to fruit effect and the audiance goes wild but the spectator looks at you like the MAGIC just sunk out of him because his bill is destroyed in some way.

Anyways, thanks for reading, now on to the question: Has this ever happened to you, if yes? how do u take this task on when it happens? I know an easy answer would just be: Use! playing cards instead of money!. I find money more visual and more universal, thats just my opinion.

Thanks.

Robert. S

Bill in LEMON?! You sire, are not touchig my bird...:D

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
This is why I stick with signing. People are apprehensive at first, but it is easy to reasure them it is fine, and how some people even write shopping lists on bills, or their phone numbers. Say this with a wink if you wanna jokingly flirt with the spectator.

In a restaurant (working one that is), the "destructive" aspect can be taken advantage to encourage tips, however, I still feel the better condition the borrowed object remains in, the better. Always remember that, it IS a BORROWED OBJECT. This is also why I personally avoid bill in fruit effects. If I'm doing a one off show, then I don't mind so much, as it is much easier to replace one bill, rather than one bill at every table.

In restaurants I prefer bill to some non-juicy location, lol.

Thanks.

Robert. S
i never did that before....

May 25, 2009
Great Advice

I had the greatest pleasure of being taught a bill to lemon effect by Michael Ammar. His teachings represent a nicely aged wine.

He spoke of the basic structure of the bill to lemon but if I’m not mistaken that is not what your curious about. Your curious about how to keep the bill from are desecrated beyond repair.

Michael Ammar said that he prepared the lemon about 5 to 6 hours ahead of time. He would cut the hole for the bill, stuff it with rolled up paper towels and place it upside down until time to perform. He mentioned that it allowed most of the juices to drain from the lemon so that the bill wasn’t saturated beyond repair or even to the point to irritate the spectator when it was handed back.

He said that by doing this it allowed the lemon juices to lightly dampen the bill so that it had the fresh lemon smell without the saturation and damage.

Hope this helps

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results