Magical Myth Busters: Volume 1

Sep 1, 2007
Intro

I’ve been seeing stories about what you can do with magic popping up more frequently now that the weather is turning out more pleasant and people are out performing more. It’s natural. The problem is the tone I’ve noticed in certain people’s attempts at giving advice.

In this article, the first in a series, I hope to dispel a few myths about magic that I’ve seen making the rounds every now and again.

Myth #1: You can silence any heckler by hitting him with a real stunner of a trick.

This one is a particular thumbscrew of many working professionals, so let’s get it covered first. This attitude is one of arrogance, haughtiness, and self-satisfaction. But enough about me and my ego. The idea is that if someone is heckling you, you need to silence him by pulling out a trick that no one could possibly figure out and is bound to leave him stumped, perplexed, and a little embarrassed to boot.

First of all, real hecklers are much different from people who are just tough spectators (see Myth #2 below). A real heckler, for whatever reason, perceives you as some sort of threat to his social status or something equally paranoid. The motivation can be a lot of things, but the main point is that these guys see you as the enemy and want to destroy you.

Think of it this way. A friend’s bulldog is mad at you because you did something the dog didn’t like. Would you respond by getting in the dog’s face and start showing off the fact that you have opposable thumbs and that you haven’t been fixed? If you really like the friendly staff at the hospital and can’t wait to sample more of the delicious jello at the cafeteria, don’t let me stop you. If on the other hand you enjoy having skin on your face, you’ll generally do something to calm the dog down or just leave it alone long enough to cool its jets.

In the real world, taking Brian Tudor’s approach to dealing with hecklers only creates more resentment and ill will on their part. It makes them hate you even more, because in their mind you’re proving them right. You’re reinforcing their impression that you’re an arrogant spotlight monger. Of course, if you enjoy embarrassing them by turning up the flashiness on your effects, they’re probably right about you.

Believe it or not, most people like to be proven wrong when they assume the worst about someone. It’s a pleasant surprise. But nobody likes it when you just reinforce the first negative impression.

Put away that Brian Tudor DVD, stop taking advice from egomaniacs (except me of course), and learn to deal with people.

Myth #2: Anyone who doesn’t go along with the act is a heckler.

This is a myth that needs to be put on the business end of a shotgun. Some spectators are just plain tough. It’s not that they hate you; they are just naturally sharper-eyed and skeptical. Nothing wrong with that, but it means that you’re doing something wrong.

Eric Evans wrote that misdirection is dispersion of attention. The analytical mind is the enemy of magic because the analytical mind sees everything. A tough spectator is merely someone more set in their analytical mind and requires more attention and work to disperse their concentration.

One effect I do regularly requires a mercury card fold. I used to get a lot of tough spectators burning my hands (teenagers mostly), so I worked out a script that kept people laughing and engaged them so that I could do the dirty work without worrying about someone watching. Even the most skeptical get fooled by it because they’re too busy being entertained to burn my hands.

An actual heckler would be a guy I had to deal with a couple weeks ago. I did Completely Invisible with Kolossal Killer, the Biddle Trick, and Apparition and his friends loved it. But then he started getting really rude, asking me if I was a virgin and ranting about how all magicians were losers living with their parents. There was no point trying to talk to this guy, so I said my goodbyes and went on my way. Keep in mind, this guy was about 17, had a wardrobe culled mostly from Hot Topic, and shaved his head. Teen angst overdrive. As I was leaving, I heard the two girls in the group asking, “What is wrong with you?” and he continued very petulantly trying to justify his actions.

Have a little more patience fellows, and don’t be so quick to go on the defensive if someone spotted your false transfer.

Myth #3: Magic is a good way to pick up chicks.

I’m trying to find a way to accurately describe just how much this gets under my skin. I’ve actually seen people use hokey gimmicks to impress women and they couldn’t creep me out more if their eye sockets were hollow and they were covered in spiders with John Wayne Gacy’s face. With that delightful, cuddly mental image burned into your mind’s eye, do you really want to be associated with that?

Have you ever seen this sort of thing work anywhere other than a direct-to-video romantic comedy produced in the 80’s? Didn’t think so.

In the last couple years I’ve heard all manner of awful suggestions. Saying, “Will you go out with me?” using Triumph or Stigmata, producing roses with the same excruciatingly saccharine question attached to them, and (the worst) using a pulse stop to say something vomit-inducingly cliché like, “You take my breath away,” or, “You have the keys to my heart.” Excuse me…

Okay, I’m back. I had to go watch Army of Darkness to purge the above thoughts from my brain.

Where was I? The idea of using magic to pick up girls tells me one thing: that you couldn’t do it without magic. What makes you think doing it with card tricks is going to change that fact? And suppose by some horrifyingly unlikely chance that it worked. You think you’ll be able to keep her around?

I won’t lie; magic can make a great icebreaker. But it will not provide a substitute for a winning personality. Yes, you heard that right. Men are predisposed to pay attention to looks first and personality second, but women think of personality first and looks second. Sure, you should still hit the gym and eat well if for no other reason than your own well-being. But if you really want a date you need to consciously make an effort to make sure your lifestyle is fulfilling and your social skills polished enough that you are the most interesting person in any room you walk into.

Sound like work? Too bad, it is. But if you think the reward is worth it, you’ll do it.

That said, magic should enrich your life, not control it. That’s why girls don’t date guys just because they do magic tricks. To any of you out there reading this who did suggest using magic to pick up chicks, I have a 50 that says you aren’t speaking from experience. If you want to prove me wrong, go ahead and try.

Well that wraps things up for now. Rest assured, I will be back. Where ever there is ignorance I will be there to beat it down! Away! (whoosh)

Apr 22, 2008
Myth #3: Magic is a good way to pick up chicks.

I’m trying to find a way to accurately describe just how much this gets under my skin. I’ve actually seen people use hokey gimmicks to impress women and they couldn’t creep me out more if their eye sockets were hollow and they were covered in spiders with John Wayne Gacy’s face. With that delightful, cuddly mental image burned into your mind’s eye, do you really want to be associated with that?

Have you ever seen this sort of thing work anywhere other than a direct-to-video romantic comedy produced in the 80’s? Didn’t think so.

In the last couple years I’ve heard all manner of awful suggestions. Saying, “Will you go out with me?” using Triumph or Stigmata, producing roses with the same excruciatingly saccharine question attached to them, and (the worst) using a pulse stop to say something vomit-inducingly cliché like, “You take my breath away,” or, “You have the keys to my heart.” Excuse me…

Okay, I’m back. I had to go watch Army of Darkness to purge the above thoughts from my brain.

Where was I? The idea of using magic to pick up girls tells me one thing: that you couldn’t do it without magic. What makes you think doing it with card tricks is going to change that fact? And suppose by some horrifyingly unlikely chance that it worked. You think you’ll be able to keep her around?

I won’t lie; magic can make a great icebreaker. But it will not provide a substitute for a winning personality. Yes, you heard that right. Men are predisposed to pay attention to looks first and personality second, but women think of personality first and looks second. Sure, you should still hit the gym and eat well if for no other reason than your own well-being. But if you really want a date you need to consciously make an effort to make sure your lifestyle is fulfilling and your social skills polished enough that you are the most interesting person in any room you walk into.

Sound like work? Too bad, it is. But if you think the reward is worth it, you’ll do it.

That said, magic should enrich your life, not control it. That’s why girls don’t date guys just because they do magic tricks. To any of you out there reading this who did suggest using magic to pick up chicks, I have a 50 that says you aren’t speaking from experience. If you want to prove me wrong, go ahead and try.

Well that wraps things up for now. Rest assured, I will be back. Where ever there is ignorance I will be there to beat it down! Away! (whoosh)

That is correct sir ...... I totally agree on this one thumbs up for you.

Nice thread it was really entertaining

Dec 1, 2007
Awesome mythbusting

Thanks for this, it answers other questions I had. I was troubled by the fact that people thought "magic attracts chicks" which comes over and over again. Reading your article has permitted me to find a reasonable answer for this prejudice.

Sep 1, 2007
Some good ideas in this one. But trust me when I say this:

While pulling out your best material won't stymie hecklers, being wittier and smarter will. This is a technique that comedians have used since the evolution of hecklers (back before the cavemen found that monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey).

If everyone else is laughing, it will discourage them. Being smart works. Being funny works. Doing better tricks--probably not. This is where showmanship comes in.

Don't forget about it. It'll take you a lot further than the tricks you can do.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
I completely agree with this material. While I enjoy most of them, this is one of your best!! Looking forward to the next.

I won’t lie; magic can make a great icebreaker. But it will not provide a substitute for a winning personality.

Read and Heed. It can create some openings but it won’t hide the real you and you can’t hide behind it.

In the real world, taking Brian Tudor’s approach to dealing with hecklers only creates more resentment and ill will on their part. It makes them hate you even more, because in their mind you’re proving them right.

So true, and many turn to this as good advise which in reality doesn’t work. Each has to figure out what works for them. This is something I'm currently trying to improve on and take a less aggressive approach with. I hope you address more on this and have some suggestions on dealing with it later in the series.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
Well written, and your points are all completely valid. #3 is in my mind because I read it last of course, but WOW are you right. I think many of us can agree that we have 'tried' that at least once, and it is embarrassing. I think it is best to not even use magic as an ice breaker if you don't have to, then later down the road, magic will come up sooner or later and it'll be a huge surprise for them. But overall, yes, magic should enhance lives, not control them. Very well put ;)

Dear Steerpike,
I thouroughly agree with you on your second myth but not so much on your first and third myths.

MYTH 1: On the 1st myth I have actually had a heckler that keeps trying to reveal tricks and swat the cards out of my hand while I'm trying to perform. However, this person was immidaetly silenced when I performed stigmata followed by ghost (from David Stones TRSoM Vol.1) After I performed this trick veryone looked at him waiting for him to say something and he just stared at the cards and my arm, then at the other people, then at me. He then just grumbled some profanity and left. Everyone laughed because apparently he didn't know everything.

MYTH 2: I agree one hundred percent. Not everyone that seems to be hard to crack is a heckler. Only the ones that try and rip your cards and ruin everything for everyone.

MYTH 3: I disagree here as well. I have actually gotten dates with different girls by performing magic tricks. I wrote "Will you go out with me?" on a blank card and this has worked for me on many occasions. So here I have personal expireance so I don't agree. Sorry.

Anyway, That is how I feel. But to each his own. so if you disagree with me then that's fine and i respect that.

Dylan P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 10, 2008
You beat me to it, Dylan.

Completely agree on 1 and 2, but disagree somewhat on 3.

I do agree that overtly using magic to pick up women is fairly ridiculous (in the same way that just about any form of showing off to pick up women is ridiculous). However, I have certainly gotten a number of dates because of performing magic, but I think in those cases it was specifically because I wasn't doing anything silly or overt to flirt with them through magic. To use your terms, I wasn't trying to use magic to act like the coolest guy in the room, but because I was doing a nice job and people were having a good time, it made me seem cool (note I didn't say that I am cool). So I have to disagree just in so much as performing magic in places like bars gets you noticed and I don't see how that's a problem so long as you aren't going out every night and doing a silk to rose production to hand to the cute girl at table 2. Let's face it, charisma is attractive. If you're going to be successful doing magic, you're going to have to be at least somewhat charismatic. I mean, how many of us have seen magicians who really aren't particularly skilled but still succeed at wowing a crowd thanks to sheer force of personality? Add in the obvious symbolism of being skilled with your hands, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that women can become attracted to you because she saw you doing magic in a bar. Like my girlfriend says, talent is sexy. And to most people, being able to perform miracles with a deck of cards takes a lot of talent. So if you parlay that into the occasional date with someone you find attractive, I say good for you.

I would never say 'magic attracts chicks'. I would say that magic, like any other performance art, CAN attract chicks. As proof of this theorem, I quote from (I believe) Denis Leary (speaking about how looks don't matter when you're a rockstar): "Even the Spin Doctors got laid every once in a while."

Just my $.02 on the topic. Opinions vary. :)

Great idea for a thread, though.

Jack

Sep 1, 2007
After I performed this trick veryone looked at him waiting for him to say something and he just stared at the cards and my arm, then at the other people, then at me. He then just grumbled some profanity and left. Everyone laughed because apparently he didn't know everything.

And what am I wrong about? About him resenting you more?

The temporary victory you gained has turned this guy into an even more bitter enemy. Hope it was worth it.

I wrote "Will you go out with me?" on a blank card and this has worked for me on many occasions. So here I have personal expireance so I don't agree. Sorry.

You let a blind squirrel wander around long enough...

So I have to disagree just in so much as performing magic in places like bars gets you noticed and I don't see how that's a problem so long as you aren't going out every night and doing a silk to rose production to hand to the cute girl at table 2. Let's face it, charisma is attractive.

I specifically said, it makes a great icebreaker, but it's no substitute for personality.

Feb 10, 2008
Agreed. After my post I went back and reread the initial post and decided that we were more or less saying the same thing just with slightly different twists. I meant to come back and edit my post, but sadly work must occasionally intrude.

And the part that I meant to put in my post (in agreement) was about this exact point. Magic's not going to get you any girls you couldn't get otherwise. Just a good, as you say, icebreaker.

I think our differences on the topic are on more of a glass half-full/half-empty scale. It's still a glass with water in it. :)

EDIT: Thought of something else. So I got back into magic because I'm a tactile person and always seem to be doodling or playing with something with my hands. I figured I might as well make it a pack of cards and be learning a skill. A few years ago I learned a couple of zippo flourishes (lightertricks.com if anyone's interested). Anyway, point being that if a cute girl asks you for a light (or if you're standing next to her and want to use the opportunity) the difference between lighting her cigarette like anyone else or doing a nifty flickout to do it can mean alot. Even outside of personality/charisma or whatever else, style counts. Attractive women get hit on all the time. It's hard enough being lumped in with every moron with an idiotic line that's approached her. So if you're able to show her something she hasn't seen before (while resisting the urge to cross the line and join the moron corps), whether it's a card trick or a zippo trick, then I say why not. Again, just my opinion (and I know it's not really a direct disagreement with anything you said, just more of an elaboration of what I was trying to say).

To Dylan: While I agree with Steerpike that trying to oneup hecklers or bullies generally only fans the flames most of the time, I'll say this. High school (I'm assuming you're in high school) sucks most of the time (for everyone in one way or another). Chances are you and this guy were never going to get along. I'm totally guessing here, but I'll bet you got into magic both because you think it's cool and because there is a social aspect to it that will improve your status among your peers. I have no problem with that. So, if beating this guy this time made you feel better about yourself, good for you. Just don't pat yourself on the back too much. You won this battle which is fine, but you did it by playing his game and lowering yourself to his level. Not the way to go moving forward. The rules are a little different in high school (you don't get points for taking the high road) than in the real world. The older you get, the better off you'll be just letting these people be and just not getting involved with these folks. I've just flat walked away from people before. Sure, they'll yell after you about how they were right, etc but don't you believe it. You didn't lose anything. They lost some free, fun entertainment. They're not worth it. Oh, I almost forgot. There are people who think the best thing to do when hecklers claim they know how something is done is to hand them the cards and tell them to go ahead and do the trick. NEVER do this. Never give up control of your performance. That's exactly what they want. Ok, here end of lecture. Good luck, Dylan :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 30, 2008
DC
I agree with 100% on everything. I've been trying to tell this one other magician at my school about #3 for months but he just won't budge.

Sep 1, 2007
EDIT: Thought of something else. So I got back into magic because I'm a tactile person and always seem to be doodling or playing with something with my hands. I figured I might as well make it a pack of cards and be learning a skill. A few years ago I learned a couple of zippo flourishes (lightertricks.com if anyone's interested). Anyway, point being that if a cute girl asks you for a light (or if you're standing next to her and want to use the opportunity) the difference between lighting her cigarette like anyone else or doing a nifty flickout to do it can mean alot. Even outside of personality/charisma or whatever else, style counts. Attractive women get hit on all the time. It's hard enough being lumped in with every moron with an idiotic line that's approached her. So if you're able to show her something she hasn't seen before (while resisting the urge to cross the line and join the moron corps), whether it's a card trick or a zippo trick, then I say why not. Again, just my opinion (and I know it's not really a direct disagreement with anything you said, just more of an elaboration of what I was trying to say).

You've basically describing Mystery's peacocking theory. You wouldn't happen to be a Venusian Artist, would you?

Style is something very difficult to describe and pin down, but I personally see it in a nutshell as the sum total of the appearances, mannerisms, and attitudes you adopt and internalize that cause you to be the most interesting person in the room.

I agree with 100% on everything. I've been trying to tell this one other magician at my school about #3 for months but he just won't budge.

Direct him toward the articles I've written. Supreme logic from the supreme being!

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
Hej Steerpike, it wonders me how many PUA reference you put in to your posts, eventhough most of it are very common social dynamics based on trial error researches, it is still far fetched to use them as a valid source of reference, in fact because performing magic is a giving and no receiving process, alot of the premises does not even apply. although i can not argue that alot of the stuff actually works. From my personal experiance "beeing the major"is one of the best idea ever to perform at a house party.
but still, my point beeing that there aught to be more valid source for alot of your claims than those from PUA books, especially when there are only handful of ppl reading that stuff anywayz.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
I disagree with myth 3, but only to a certain point. It all depends on what your looking for from the female. Are you looking for a long lasting relationship? or a one night fling?
Magic can get the woman in the right mind set of "awe" and "omg wtf do me now" if all they want and all you want is a quick fling. Its more unlikely this will work if your planning on spending a lot of time with them, or trying to start a long healthy relationship.

Can you rely only on magic to get women? Umm well yes...but the women youll get are the bottom of the barrel. You need to already have your "moves" and social skills, which with magic, is just another weapon in our arsenol.

Steer we already discussed this more in depth on the, now closed thread on E, about picking up women with magic (search it)
my log there is Dachschaf

Sep 1, 2007
although i can not argue that alot of the stuff actually works.

Then why even bring it up?

but still, my point beeing that there aught to be more valid source for alot of your claims than those from PUA books,

Do you even read any of my articles?

especially when there are only handful of ppl reading that stuff anywayz.

Because the truth is determined by a popularity contest?

I site Rick Maue as a reference for a lot of my work as well, but he's nowhere near as famous as Banachek or Richard Osterlind. You want to give me a hard time about that?

Magic can get the woman in the right mind set of "awe" and "omg wtf do me now" if all they want and all you want is a quick fling. Its more unlikely this will work if your planning on spending a lot of time with them, or trying to start a long healthy relationship.

If you can't get women without magic, you can't get them with it. Period.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results