Making my own magic website

Oct 22, 2008
Hi, I have been doing magic for a long while now, and i was just wondering what program or how do people here make their own websites. I do not want to create my magic website on free webs. Just a normal url made by me and not /freewebs or anything. I know alot of users on theory11 have a website of their own so i was just wondering if you hired people to make a website for you or you payed for a program. Any help?

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
i've to be honest and say that i think youre at the stage in magic where youve deluded yourself to think that youre a professional. we've all gone through it.

just my two cents.

Harsh.

Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver.

Using the four above you could build a website.

At a cost of a few grand for the software.

Or someone could build you a site, at a cost of a few grand.

To build a website is not easy, and it will take a long time for you to get it right.

Good luck with your decision.

Feb 8, 2009
ok-

there is no making websites program u need to know html and flash to make your site look alive. these things are not programs these are the internet lagnuage you can call it. the program used can be notepad or anywhere you can write something.

these are the scripts and language you write to make your site.
building a website is "simply" writing down the right words. there is no program that build websites.
for example-

<body bgcolor=red> means that your background will be red as for bg= backround color=color. and thats pretty short as most tags are longer. what im trying to say that there is no magic program that make sites.

most people that have a web site here made it themself i think because to make a nice looking site for example like jden's involves at least 4 days of intanse writing wich cost much if you take a kowlagable programer.
if you google html lessons youll be able to learn for free how to build a site even though it will take time to learn. but building it isnt all you wanna know photoshop to design your site and flash to make it look alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Ok, so for some real advice on this.

I will answer your question in several ways because I do not know exactly what you are looking for.

1: If you are looking for a professional website that you can show future possible clients, then learning how to build said site by yourself, will completely take over any and all practice time that you have resered for magic.

You will have to learn, HTML, CSS (THIS IS A MUST for a good website), PHP (if you want to encorporate an easily updatable blog / comment system), SQL (to work along with your PHP), graphic design (photoshop, illustrator, fireworks etc...). In addition, in order to keep all this coding clean, you will need to learn how to use Dreamweaver (coding platform that organizes your site and automatically updates your site via FTP).

If you haven't started learning any of these, get started, and in about 6 months, you might have a decent looking site.

2: If you are looking for a site/blog to express your views on magic, but not necessarily to advertise yourself, all you need to learn is how to manage an SQL database, download wordpress, learn how to navigate through it, add various features, purchase a domain, learn how to use FTP, and then build your site. For an example of this, please visit http://www.doublefacers.com

3: If you just want something simple, with a lot of annoying animated GIFs, dancing monkeys, strolling banners, a counter, and ugly looking fonts, than all you need is notepad and a beginner's HTML book

If you go for option 1, it will take you a long time each day, devotion, in which you will not have time to practice your magic. In addition, if you do this and you are not even at the level to do professional magic work, please come to terms with this reality, and then just build your site for the sake of enjoying another hobby.

If you are rich, just pay for a professional web designer to build your site.

Cheers

You need to know what content is going on the website, and what the purpose of the website is for. Plus you will need money if you want one built personally for you.

Unless you know how to build websites yourself.

You can take a look at mine (in my signature) for an example of a website for a performer, but there are many!

I used to use freewebs...not bad to build a good looking site, and it was free. I simply paid $10/year for a domain name and it was good. Just something to help 'seal the deal' IMO.

Now I use homestead for my site builder. $60/year, still pretty cheap and easy to use. For me, my site is a means for clients to contact me. Most of the visitors on my site have seen my show before, and that's how they found out about me. Then they can see pictures of me performing, read letters of reccommendation, testimonials, and fill out a brief form to book me for their event. A pretty painless process altogether I think. :)

Best.
Steve
www.simmonsmagic.com

Jan 30, 2009
Just a quick question/poll. I feel that the magic community has kind of refused to embrace social networking sites like myspace, even though it is common for other entertainers. Any thoughts?

Sep 1, 2007
Just a quick question/poll. I feel that the magic community has kind of refused to embrace social networking sites like myspace, even though it is common for other entertainers. Any thoughts?

MySpace doesn't have the air of professionalism that an actual domain name does. Still, it's a legit avenue of promotion. I'm actually launching my own later this week.

Oct 22, 2008

Yahh, I sort of agree because I think that well it is free and anybody can learn about you i guess. But I actually can't think of a great answer for that right now. But good question.

Oct 22, 2008
i've to be honest and say that i think youre at the stage in magic where youve deluded yourself to think that youre a professional. we've all gone through it.

just my two cents.

No actually I think you have no right to say that. You do not have a clue who I am. I have never said I am a professional like Danny Garcia or them but I have been doing magic to people for over 6 years, and all I was looking for was suggestions on how to make a website to promote myself a little better. And if I'm not mistaken looking at your profile it doesn't look to me like you have much on this website either. But I don't judge people on how professional or good they are at magic by how much they have on their profile at theory11 like you did with me. So please think before you speak and meet the person before you think you actually know them. Thank you.

-Jake

It really does depend how much you want to spend. If you want it to be free, then you will have to use freewebs, or some free web design and hosting program/website.

If you have a very small budget, then you could buy a domain name (.com/.co.uk address), and some hosting and try and make a website yourself.

If you have a good budget of a few hundred pounds, someone will build you a website.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
I'm getting into Web Design atm, it's not just something you can pick up and do though, it's not easy. I'm only a beginner though, do it in spare time aswell as magic, full time student.

Just to chime in here one more time...

I don't care if you have the best website in the world. All the html and flash and you paid $10k for it. If you don't have anything to back it up with and the content sucks, it will get you no where. My site isn't that great, it's okay, but nothing astonishing. But, my show more than makes up for it. I just use my website as a means for those that have seen me perform, to get a feel for my magic a bit then get in contact with me. I want them to call me, then I just seal the deal over the phone.

A website is simply a tool, and a small percentage of what makes up being successful. I didn't get a website together until a couple years after I had already been performing in a few restaurants and working regularly, and I did just fine. It's nice, but if you're expecting to get all these gigs and people thinking you're some magic god, then I'd recommend going to look for that perfect magic trick out there as well. ;)

Best.
Steve

Oct 22, 2008
Just to chime in here one more time...

I don't care if you have the best website in the world. All the html and flash and you paid $10k for it. If you don't have anything to back it up with and the content sucks, it will get you no where. My site isn't that great, it's okay, but nothing astonishing. But, my show more than makes up for it. I just use my website as a means for those that have seen me perform, to get a feel for my magic a bit then get in contact with me. I want them to call me, then I just seal the deal over the phone.

A website is simply a tool, and a small percentage of what makes up being successful. I didn't get a website together until a couple years after I had already been performing in a few restaurants and working regularly, and I did just fine. It's nice, but if you're expecting to get all these gigs and people thinking you're some magic god, then I'd recommend going to look for that perfect magic trick out there as well. ;)

Best.
Steve

ha, yah thanks for all the advice. And I wanted a website for just what you stated yours for, to contact people through. Thanks alot.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results