Manhattan Magic Show

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I thought I would give a review of the Manhattan Magic Show that is happening every Wednesday in Times Square through December 17.

Opening night was last night, Nov. 19. My friend and I arrived around 7:30 and enjoyed close up magic by Matt Wayne. He has a very classic style and some creative false shuffles. He performed a very well done card to wallet, a "will the cards match" routine, and a toy car effect. The toy car effect was pretty good, it's the same one that was on World's Greatest Magic years ago.

After that we made our way into the theatre and sat stage right front row. the first two rows had tables which was convenient since we had made a few purchases from Fantasma.

The show started with the introduction of Harrison Greenbaum as the Master of Ceremonies. He did a bit of stand up throughout the show but did some great magic as well.

The first performer was David Boyd. He had a great stage persona. He executed a card conjuring routine and a dove routine flawlessly. He also did a get ball sleight routine. The only downfall to his performance was where I was sitting there were a few instances of flashing but it was only from my angle. Otherwise David Boyd proved to be a class act with some incredible magic.

Following David Boyd was Ben Nemzer. Accompanying Ben was his assistant who played the part as a pesky sister for Ben to annoy during his act. He started the routine with a classic Rope effect which warmed up the crowd quite nicely. Next he asked for a 20 dollar bill for his next trick. I was actually the volunteer he had me tear my 20 and at the end of the trick the bill had ended up in a freely chosen banana. After much applause he and his assistant executed the "Metamorphosis" effect. The only problem with this effect was the resounding thud that could be heard coming from behind the box. All and all Ben Nemzer proved to be very entertaining.

After short intermission there was Myq (pronounced Mike) Kaplan and Sam Sandler. Myq Kaplan was a very good comedian which broke the pace of the show kind of nicely. Very funny jokes. To end the show Sam Sandler began with setting his hand on fire and produced two wands in his hands. Next he continued with exploding ribbons and dove effects. He ended with a classical snow storm routine which was very nice.

One note about Sam Sandler was after one of his effects it had appeared something had gone wrong. He went on to explain that he is one of 300 deaf Magicians and 1 of 50 that do it for a living. During the effect sweat had gotten into his hearing aids and they had turned off. While explaining this he was cleaning out his hearing aids quickly and moved on swiftly with he show. To me that was the defining and inspirational moment of the entire show.

Sorry for the length of the post but I wanted to give equal light to each performer. You can find more information about performers, lineups, price and show dates at http://www.manhattanmagicshow.com. Every week there are new performers and the theatre is right in Times Square NYC.

Best regards-
vintage iLLusion

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results