Manipulation fans?

Heya Guys!

I'm looking to do some Chinese Fan work in my act. Can anyone tell me where I can get some manipulation fans from and if there is any books or dvds out there teaching techniques and so forth?

Thanks!

Simon_Magic

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
You're gonna need to look at some older texts and at that, you probably need to look mainly at Asian magic though there may be some stuff out of France/New Orleans.

Get familiar with the "flip" control method and experiment with hold-outs as well as toppits and pulls (think about Cigarette magic but on a larger scale when it comes to the pulls and loaders)

I'm confident that you are going to have to develop 90% of this on your own whether you are doing straight manipulation or relying on some form of gimmick/mechanics.

Routines done with fans can be found in Dove, Bird, Egg and Billiard Ball categories. You may see some stuff in the works of Jonathon Niel Brown, Shimada and McBride but I'm not certain.

Hope this helps

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Nothing specific in that most will be written in Chinese or Japanese and too, much of the Asian magic culture is kept close to the vest and not openly shared with outsiders -- much of the time, staying exclusive to one family group.

You may try tapping Mark or Greg Wilson on the shoulder however, given their time in China they may be able to point you in the right direction. I can assure you, neither of them bite, just don't get too "clingy" with them; less will be more. Luna Shimada is another you might ask as well as McBride, all of whom can be found on Facebook.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results