Max Maven's Prism

Apr 27, 2008
Max Maven's Prism by Max Maven/Phil

Quick rundown of my thoughts on the book and what it is.

This book is filled with about 50 or so effects and techniques for mentalism. After reading this I know why Max is such a renowned figurehead in mentalism and what it represents. I will try not to overrate this or sell this book short since most of the effects I will probably never use unfortunately.

Teaching 9/10

This book is meant for near intermediate and up mentalists since some of the terms and techniques he uses should already be known or quickly learned. Some of the effects will require you to reread a few times to really get what he is trying to say. Other than that a solid teaching job on about 85 percent of the book.

Layout 10/10

This is the Color series book and are labeled in order of their appearances and such. He usually describes the effect to the spectators and what the magician does, then follows up with the method behind it. Overall very solid and easy to follow, easy contents and the beginning of a new book is marked by a HUGE word of the color.

Effects 8-10/10

The reason for the 8-10 is because if you do close up mentalism or walkaround mentalism like me then many of the effects will be useless or difficult to manage into a close up routine. The stage effects are great, they will make your reputation one after another. The one that is quite possibly the coolest is The Spirit Is Willing to Write which is just to dam cool. Some of the more popular effects would be Armchair Bowler, and Desire for their simplicity. Get this if you need a creative touch to your mentalism routine.

Difficulty 3/10

Most people should know that mentalism is one of the more easy categories of magic to do, yet more difficult to make believable. This book is really no exception to the simplicity mentalism has to offer. Many of the effects use simple principles such as a marked deck, one aheads, magicians choice and more simliar to these. Just because they are simple does not mean that this should be looked down upon. The creative touch Max puts on these is just to good to pass up and needs to be bought.

Overall 9-10/10

Close-up will enjoy a good portion of this book but the stage mentalists will be incorporating many of these effects into their next show imo. Get this if you're if you are looking for not only new effects but a point to the right direction in creativity.

BUY THIS AND MAKE HIM MORE MONEY

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results