Mentalism - Force

Dec 9, 2008
iowa
I need help finding a mentalism effect where someone picks the card you want them to, so pretty much a force with menatlism i guess.

Dec 9, 2008
So is it a specific effect you are looking for , or a good force, because if it's an effect, some detail would be useful

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
There are two mental forces explained in Derren Brown's "Pure Effect". There's also a pretty neat force in "Ponderings" by Sean Waters. I'm not much of a mentalism person so I can't really help you there. I can, however, tell you people I know who can help you. praetoritevong and DLeerium are the only two mentalists I know in person.

DLeerium knows how to handle an invisible deck pretty well... *cough*townhall*cough* :D (inside joke)... :rolleyes:

Other than that you could do any card force. I tend to use a riffle force or I just peek at the card after having it returned.

Cheers,
Shanku :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
LOL. Haha that was brilliant.

Alan... It depends how pure you want to go. By which I mean, it's very easy to control a card and hotshot it without knowing what it is. Force and control is very easy and simple and can be presented as mentalism.

If you want to get further up in terms of difficulty - psychological forces such as those by Derren Brown and others - there are many examples of that in the other thread and in Shanku's post also. That would just involve pre-placing the card at the bottom, forcing it, and hotshotting.

If you wanted to make a routine out of it, you could try routines which end in them being forced psychologically into one card. An example of this is Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper.

If you want to get even cleaner than that... Erdnase, it all starts with Erdnase. There's information in Erdnase about spread forces - Spreading through the cards and having them simply see and remember a card (which is forced). A pass or any other control following this will bring it to the bottom. If you're interested in this technique, I would highly recommend spending some time with Erdnase. After you are done with that - and it really is worth your while, for this technique, to spend a lot of time practicing this - then move onto an ebook by Tom Baxter called NOT a Dianoetic Rage, which has further advanced information. Of course, if you're impatient, or otherwise can't/don't like reading, as with most of this generation, sadly, well, it's only in print, so you'll have to read it sooner or later, but you can jump straight to it - although you'll be worse off for it. As with anything advanced - it'll take you less time to learn it if you learn the basics first.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
There are two mental forces explained in Derren Brown's "Pure Effect". There's also a pretty neat force in "Ponderings" by Sean Waters. I'm not much of a mentalism person so I can't really help you there. I can, however, tell you people I know who can help you. praetoritevong and DLeerium are the only two mentalists I know in person.

DLeerium knows how to handle an invisible deck pretty well... *cough*townhall*cough* :D (inside joke)... :rolleyes:

Other than that you could do any card force. I tend to use a riffle force or I just peek at the card after having it returned.

Cheers,
Shanku :eek:
Sean_Raf is also a pretty good mentalist I believe.
try picking up The Devil's Picturebook (dang, I gotta stop recommending this dvd to everyone) for a couple of psychological forces (3 of diamonds and 4 of hearts. There's also a force in which they deal the card from an imaginary deck (jack of spades). And everything else on there is brilliant, though it is a little pricy. Well worth it though.
By the way, a little suggestion: don't hotshot it out of the deck because it will look like pure skill rather than magic or mentalism. If that's what you're trying to achieve, go for it, but I personally think you'd get better reactions having the card removed prior to the trick or having a written prediction. It's up to you; just warning you that people will say that you just quickly found their card or something. It's your call, but I thought I'd throw that in there.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
No worries ^^ It's the seed of the flower no doubt, but it's where things started... Dai Vernon's notes on Erdnase of course will have further information on each of these handlings :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results