Mentalism?

Sep 1, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
Hello all. I apologize if this has been brought already but does anyone else agree it would be great if they made a mentalism section in the forums? Perhaps if enough of us want one they will makeit happen. Please feel free to comment... or to tell me to shut up if this has been brought up before.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I remember this being brought up on the Cafe awhile back and (if I recall correctly...) most of the serious mentalists retreated from the forum to talk about things elsewhere. I don't think most folks want mentalism exposed in a public forum. It would probably be better to have a performance/presentation forum which would help most folks interested in mentalism as the majority of mentalism effects rely heavily on presentation and performance.

It would probably be great for everyone in actuality because presentation and performance aspects seem to be the most overlooked in magic these days.

--Jim

i think the more special sections the better, id like to see some spots on theroy, general slight of hand stuff ect ect

the "general chat" area gets boged down so fast its hard to weed throught it all

Sep 3, 2007
Knoxville, TN
I remember this being brought up on the Cafe awhile back and (if I recall correctly...) most of the serious mentalists retreated from the forum to talk about things elsewhere. I don't think most folks want mentalism exposed in a public forum. It would probably be better to have a performance/presentation forum which would help most folks interested in mentalism as the majority of mentalism effects rely heavily on presentation and performance.

It would probably be great for everyone in actuality because presentation and performance aspects seem to be the most overlooked in magic these days.

--Jim

I agree with you. To me, it's a double-edged sword. As I am a mentalist, I would love to be able to discuss this art and its concepts here at theory11, but at the same time, I recognize that by doing so in a specialized forum, it makes the art too accessible, thus exposing many aspects and forcing many performers to go into hiding as you said. I don't really mind it as much as others, which is why I would welcome a special forum for mentalism, but I'll live without one.

- Carlos

Many good points.
I love the secrecy of Mentalism and respect many of the established Mentalists' desire to keep it as such. It is what keeps this art pristine. It keeps the dilettantes away.

That said, I don't believe an open forum will immediately translate to overexposure of the art. We can talk about the development of characters, pacing of the show, presentation, etc...
Furthermore, isn't this what this site is for? To make better performers?

Being a student of psychology (and philosophy) myself, I have a lot of interest in Mentalism and am ready to dive right into it. With the resources and quality of staffs on this site, this place is perfect.

best,

Nash Fung

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Many good points.
I love the secrecy of Mentalism and respect many of the established Mentalists' desire to keep it as such. It is what keeps this art pristine. It keeps the dilettantes away.

That said, I don't believe an open forum will immediately translate to overexposure of the art. We can talk about the development of characters, pacing of the show, presentation, etc...
Furthermore, isn't this what this site is for? To make better performers?

Being a student of psychology (and philosophy) myself, I have a lot of interest in Mentalism and am ready to dive right into it. With the resources and quality of staffs on this site, this place is perfect.

best,

Nash Fung

Pretty much my thoughts exactly Nash. You can have a discussion on all of those topics and further others in magic by doing so without exposing some of the finer points of mentalism or a mentalism effect. My only concern would be for those few select bad apples that want to ruin it for everyone else by crossing that line and having the resources available on staff to monitor these discussions. Crossing that line, without repercussions, will backfire and cause anyone who was seriously interested in helping others to simply walk away from the forum.

--Jim

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results