Miracles for Miracles

Apr 16, 2009
Chicago
Hello everyone, I know I'm not a familiar face(name), but I've been here for a while and I thought that this place would be one of the best places to put out this idea.

I'm sure you all know about David Blaine's 72 hour magic spree he's putting on in New York to fund raise for the people of Haiti. From what I've seen, it seems to be garnering a lot of support. However, tonight I was watching the news, in particular a story on the situation in Haiti. The only word to describe what it looks like is "shocking." Even one of the men on site described it as looking "like the Holocaust." Hundreds of corpses are being buried in mass graves, and a similar situation looms inside the hospital. So many people are injured, it would be overwhelming even if there were adequate supplies. The doctors have to scavenge for equipment, often having to improvise for lack of a better option. On the news story I saw, the doctors were using vodka and rum to sterilize their equipment because they ran out of rubbing alcohol.

What I am trying to get at is that this is a huge situation; and although David Blaine is contributing phenomenally, there is only so much one person in one city can do (albeit a famous person in a famous city).

What I propose is for the magic community to respond in the same way David Blaine has. I don't suggest staying up for 72 hours, endurance is his forte. But we all do have a passion for magic, for giving people a feeling of awe and wonder. And in a way, isn't this situation like a magic performance? This impossible obstacle has been demonstrated, and now it is to be removed.

It is my plan to set up gatherings of magicians in major cities (at the very least Chicago, my hometown) to raise awareness and funds to directly benefit the Haitian cause. Now, I'm 17 years old, I don't have any current backing on this, and I can't do it without support, namely, the support of the magic community. I need as many magicians (and cardists) as possible to make this idea happen. If you are interested, please respond to this thread, PM me, or send me an email at kamalxkhan@gmail.com. Nothing is certain now, I just want to know if there would be enough support to make this happen. I hope that the magic community can come together to make a miracle happen.

Thank you for your time,

Kamal Khan

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
If this were to take place in Philly, PA, I'd definitely be in on it.

Thank you for your kindness and contribution to the community.

God bless,

-Sanj

May 3, 2008
If anyone in the NYC area is up for it, then I would love to be a part of it. This is a very good idea.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results