Mirror - Matthew Mello

May 3, 2008
I was given a copy of Matthew Mello's Mirror which I found to be a pretty cool effect. This is my first review by the way. Feedback appreciated.
Effect- In a nutshelll, a dollar is given to you to hold onto as the spectator is told that you are thinking of a 2 digit number. The spectator thinks of a 2 digit number and is told that she is correct because the number that you were thinking of is the first 2 digits of the serial number from their bill. Pretty cool.
Setup- There is a setup involved with this effect. To be honest, I was not crazy about it. It's not difficult to do it, but I don't think think that it's too practical, for me at least because you will have to go search for something after each performance. There are 2 alternate handlings of this that in turn, make the effects completely different. The alternate handling make it so much better in terms of reset and practicality, but the effects are not as strong in my opinion.
Thoughts on Method- After getting past the setup, I really liked the principal used. In a way it's kind of a force but kind of not. Some of you may already know it, but it was new to me. The method is really clever and I really enjoyed it. It requires a bit of memorization but it should be fairly easy.
Alternate Handlings- There handling get rid of the set up and the need to search for that specific something that was mentioned earlier. They all use the same concept but instead of using the serial numbers, it uses a number written down that the spectator guesses correctly. Another uses pictures drawn on George's face. Although in my opinion these are not as strong, I can see myself using them more than the original handling just because the reset is far easier to do.
Closing thoughts- This effect is good. I don't think it was great, but if you take your time and don't mind the reset, you can have an amazing effect on your hands. Personally, I liked it mainly because of the method of forcing that can be applied to so much more. Overall: 7/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results