Multiple types of shows

Feb 10, 2013
I have been working a lot on creating a well put-together stage show and something has come across my mind. I am wondering whether or not to have different types of shows available for different types of audiences. I am not talking just having a magic show and a mentalism act. I mean having an adult comedy show, family friendly show, and a more serious show. I realize this thought is in part due to me not having the experience quite yet to know exactly what type of performer I really am, but I do feel like this would widen the market and in turn get me more business, as well as actually allowing me to experiment with different styles of performance to decide which really does suit me most. Clearly, I do have to decide which style I like most, but my main question was regarding whether or not this would help getting more business.

I have heard a lot of people say you do not want to be the jack-of-all-trades and not best at anything, but I do not think many people will think of it like that. I feel like they would appreciate the options and look at it as "wow, this guy can do so much." (Of course, I could be way wrong.)

If I do eventually decide to go through with having different show options, should it be something I advertise on my website or is deciding what type of show to do something you do on your own based on the clientele and what you feel suits them best?

On a side note, although still related, does advertising a children's show on your website turn away some higher-end clients? (I hope to be on the wealthier side of the market with my adult shows.) Would it be a good idea to advertise it all together, or have a separate website and everything for the children's show? I do not plan on kid shows being my main thing, but just as another option on the side so I can get a little extra income for the time being.

Sorry if my threads are annoying with me just spitting all kinds of questions out. I have a long ways to go in building my business, and at times I feel a little lost and overwhelmed with thoughts and ideas, so all the advice and guidance to help sort things out is greatly appreciated.

Apr 17, 2013
First the kid show thing. Leif David has websites for his different types of shows and he gives talks about it on his blog. How to keep them all separated from each other.
here is his kid show website
http://www.hasslefreebirthday.com/

Here is his wedding site.
http://www.magicalweddingstory.com/

Here is his blog
http://partshowpartbusiness.com/

The guy who runs Weekly Magic Failure has an adult show and a family friendly show in his thearter.
Here is the thearter website it is in german though
http://www.zaubertheater-luebeck.de/

So yes two types of shows can be done. Yes it would help to keep them as their own little package with different cards fliers and websites.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's difficult to get a show fine tuned and smooth on its own. Doing more than one just adds more work. But I do think it's a good idea to try different types of shows when you starting out, as you said, to figure out what you enjoy most.

I would say don't try to have a different show for everyone. You'll just stretch yourself thin and look desperate. It may seem to you like they'll think "this guy does so much it's amazing!" but what people really think is, "This dude will work for anyone. He must be desperate". It also makes it hard to develop a full brand identity which is essential.

Personally, I have my parlor show and I'm working on a hypnosis show. I can take aspects of those and create different performances so people aren't always seeing the same act, but I work only with that skill set. I do not do kids shows. I would question the parenting decisions of anyone that asked me to, at that.

I don't think it's not possible, though. Jonathan Pendragon was what he called a "general practitioner". He did it all. That's possible. The key being that you genuinely work every show until it's a finished product before trying to sell it. I would definitely advise keeping it all separate, though. Research marketing - brand identity and all that is what will get you gigs. You want them to hire you, not "a magician."

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
It's fine to try out different things as your develop a performing style, but you're going to have to shift your focus to one style/brand sooner or later. Otherwise, you'll run the risk of burning yourself out way too quickly and you most likely won't be able to get that much return for your different shows. If you just do a Kids show and a Corporate/Business events type show than that's fine. Just make sure both groups don't find out about the other and you should be fine.

But in order to get better you're going to have to market yourself to one genre. This reminds me of an episode of Kitchen Nightmares where Gordon Ramsay was at a place that had a HUGE menu of 5 different styles of food. (I think it was like one side had French, One had Spanish, One had Italian and the other two had some other things.) Gordon looked at the chef/owner and pretty much told him this was one of the reasons that people's food was taking forever to come out of the kitchen. (even the though the head chef acted like he was completely proud of the fact that his menu had a huge amount of variety on it.). So that's something to think about.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
For starters, if you are going to do traditional magic STAY AWAY FROM MENTALISM the one cancels out the other; your mentalism will not be seen as "legit" if you do or are known for doing Magic. This is even more true when you elect to present effects that are better classified as "Mental Magic" vs. pure Mentalism.

You can get away with Hypnosis, the Master Mind type acts (human computer, lie detector, memory act, etc.) but I would discourage you from getting too vested into Mentalism itself. An exception might be in vignette form in which you are telling (acting out) a story, which is far closer to how a big family show is structured; as a series of adventures. Just look at the older shows of the past and how Blackstone or Dante would take the audience off to exotic places. . . even a visit to hell itself. Most all of them opening their shows with a solid 10+ minute manipulation act such as we see Lance Burton doing today.

For the dollar, your family format program is going to be your best bet initially in that there is a much higher demand for such shows but I would advise you to be prepared to share the stage with at least 3 employees -- assistants -- if you want a solid and tight program that is commercial in that a full program (45+ minutes) is going to need some eye candy - a big effect or three which usually means a Broom Suspension (or similar piece) some kind of chopping/cutting and more than not, a sub-trunk or Assistant's Revenge. . . all big props with major obligations and that is before you get into ways of producing the young lady (look to Tarbell & the Wilson course as well as Gary Darwin's INEXPENSIVE ILLUSIONS book).

Understand that "a show" is not a 20-minute act but, with several 15-20-minute features pulled together, you will have a show. For most that means working 3-5 years in developing each act so that it's smooth and works with the public.

Creating an "Adult" show is no different than creating a Family Show, you just nix the tricks that are there for the kids and replace them with something more appropriate. . . and a more scantly dressed assistant, etc. You don't have to go "blue" . . . in fact, those that do tend to fail in that today's audience isn't all that turned on. . . unless you plan on workings strip joints full time. . . Not a place to make good money unless you are an established name, but even then, the pay is nominal.

Kid's Shows are a very different story and should be specialized. I've found that like Mentalism, very few people are qualified and capable of pulling off solid children's programming. There is a science to it -- formulary you must stick with or you will fall flat. Too, you must adjust based on the age groups; there's a big difference doing a show for the barely out of diapers to 6 year old group vs. the 7-11 and then young and older teen age groups. That means 5 different styles of act and in addition you will probably need to learn how to juggle, do balloons and work with puppets. Kid's shows are hell!

Create a act that's 20 minutes in running time, audition for as many theme parks as you can and get booked for a season, regardless the pay. You will do a minimum of 6-12 performances a day but by the end of that season you will have a polished act that's actually ready to do commercial gigs or else you'll discover that you're not cut out to do professional show biz. . . trust me, this sort of grind is almost a constant once you get into the big world out there. . . it will change slightly in that you'll be doing more sales and marketing work vs. shows, but the stress and long hours will remain. Don't ever get desperate and hold to your guns. But be wise and get the kind of formal education you will need as you build this show; bookkeeping, marketing, communications, advertising are all important.

Best of luck!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results