My first routine. Tell me what's wrong...

Sep 1, 2007
ah got it. so, i should either remove the card tricks, or the non card tricks, and work purely with those?

No, I mean to be consistent. Your routine right now can be described as schizophrenic. It's not the props, it's that you're trying to cover too many subjects in too short a time.

I'm currently developing a mind-reading routine for the sci-fi convention circuit, but I'm thinking of cutting the last effect because I'm worried it doesn't progress along the theme properly, doesn't flow.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
ok so i should pick a subject, and then chose effects behind that? say i choose natural laws, continuing with the first two, and apply that to all my effects?

Sep 1, 2007
ok so i should pick a subject, and then chose effects behind that? say i choose natural laws, continuing with the first two, and apply that to all my effects?

More or less. Keep it consistent.

To draw another parallel, think of any video game you played that added a forced stealth section that disrupted the pacing and flow of the story and just generally annoyed the living **** out of you. Switching things up on your audience is like that.

If you're doing a series of card tricks based on the theme of altering probability fields to reduce the chance of a desire outcome to 1 and then suddenly start talking about ghosts when doing a rising card effect, it breaks the flow with an audible, sickening crack.

Sep 3, 2007
If you're doing a series of card tricks based on the theme of altering probability fields to reduce the chance of a desire outcome to 1 and then suddenly start talking about ghosts when doing a rising card effect, it breaks the flow with an audible, sickening crack.

You know me Alex. I disagree... With Everything!!

I think the effect sounds okay. What's wrong with it besides that loud crack? There is a card trick/count. It is the combination count. How many cards are used for that Alex? (Minus 2 balls and and an English lesson).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
You know me Alex. I disagree... With Everything!!

I think the effect sounds okay. What's wrong with it besides that loud crack? There is a card trick/count. It is the combination count. How many cards are used for that Alex? (Minus 2 balls and and an English lesson).

The effect isn't the problem, it's the routine.

Is anyone here old enough to remember Baywatch Nights? It was a spin-off of Baywatch about David Hassellhoff solving crimes by night. In the second season, he turned it into a ****ty X-Files knock-off that had **** all to do with either the show's first season or even Baywatch itself. It bombed.

Audiences want internal consistency. If you're doing mind reading, you don't try to sweeten the deal with a cups and balls routine.

Way to random, no contenuity between acts and no overall theme. Feels too much like you are doing magic for the sake of the individual effect, not for the enjoyment of the spectators.

hey sorry about the super duper long title,

but, my first routine i'm gonna start doing this summer, and i wanted to get the help of all you guys, I've never done a full routine before, and i wanted your advice on whether or not this sounds good,

-Flow/Frozen talking about the different states of matter and deposition

-stripper deck/ and other tricks with the sevens, talking about superstitions

-sponge balls, talking about the nature of spongeballs, (they attract or make great ear cleaners etc)

-astral projection by jay sankey, talking about mind power

-i thought about doing control for a closer, but. I've been told that its a bad idea,

questions:

-length?
-fluidity?
-better closer?
-maybe changing the order?
-anything at all is welcome

i do plan to take this to the street and busk with this routine, so if that changes anything...

cheers,
web

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results