My Hypnosis Routines...

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
All you have to do is change what they believe their morals to be while they are in trance. Highly unethical, though.

-ThrallMind

Highly Unlikely too.

Especially with a stage hypnosis.

Look, I've been doing hypnosis for almost twenty years, and stage hypnosis for eight years. (I do R rated and X rated adult Stage Hypnosis Shows). It does not change a person's morals, you can't. And you certainly can't use a "hypnotic trance" to make someone stop breathing enough to die or even be injured.

Granted you guys need more studying, but remember this basic truth:

Originally Posted by joycey1989
I was under the impression that under hypnosis you were unable to go against your natural instincts or do anything you were morally against ???

Is absolutely, 100% true! You cannot make someone do what they don't want to do.

This is what I tell my audience before each show:

A "hypnotic trance" is exactly like going to the movies: you sit in a comfortable seat, you focus completely on the screen, your heart beats faster when you see the exciting bits, you laugh at the funny ones, you wince when the protagonist gets hurt, and you cry when the hero is sad.

And yet, you completely ignore the guy in the row in front of you eating his popcorn loudly.

That's all it is. A "hypnotic trance" is just like watching tv, reading a book, or even "zoning out". It's all the same.

The only difference is that the person in the "trance" is open to suggestion. It works, but it is incredibly temporary and limited. Stopping someone from breathing, for whatever hypnotic reason you've given them, is bound to fail because the person's natural body reflexes will take over and make the person breath. (I don't know why you'd want them to stop breathing in a Stage Hypnosis Show, sorry, I just don't).

You cannot make someone do what they don't want to do. They will either come out of the "trance" or flat out refuse to do it.

And in answer to the question "How long does a post hypnotic command last?" is not very long -- UNLESS IT'S REINFORCED AND REWARDED. However, once you are doing this, you aren't doing hypnosis, you are doing conditioning. (Remember Pavlov's dog? That wasn't hypnosis....)

Can hypnosis aid conditioning? Yes. So long as, a) the subject believes it will, and b) the subject really wants it to work. Otherwise, hypnosis is just an annoyance. What works to change someone's behavior is conditioning. Positive Reinforcement, Negative Reinforcement, etc.

Hypnosis is also not brainwashing. Brainwashing involves physical elements as well as conditioning. This includes lack of food, sleep, etc.

Hypnosis is entertainment. It works because the audience believes the hypnotist and wants it to work. There are tricks to make a person more suggestible, but again, that is temporary and limited.

If you want reference without all the "supernatural bull", go read "Tricks of the Mind" by Derren Brown. Ormond McGill is a pretty good reference to learn Stage Hypnosis.

I'll be happy to answer further questions if you wish to pm me.

I know this is long, I hate misinformation and it also bothers me when people give something more power than it really has....

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
OwnerM said:
It does not change a person's morals, you can't. And you certainly can't use a "hypnotic trance" to make someone stop breathing enough to die or even be injured.

Stage hypnosis, no. It's too short.

The breathing thing I'm quite sure you cant do. Which is why I was "calling" Dylan on it, just in a very un-confrontational way. In trance your subconscious (as I'm sure you know) does in fact protect you to make sure you are not done harm. However, at the same time, I have seen in a stage show someone who is extremely reserved go running around lap dancing on others.

I suppose I should restate what I meant. You cannot change deep seated beliefs. However, if someone has it in them to do something, but they just normally do not, it is possible to make them exhibit that behavior. I suppose I didn't explain myself well enough in my response.

That better? :p

If this was in fact directed at me, I don't put hypnosis on a high horse. All a hypnotist does is facilitate moving someone into a naturally occurring state, and make sure they stay there to be able to learn or change what they would like to. People who consider hypnosis a way of controlling others will be a poor hypnotist, and have much resistance. You don't drive the car, you just help give directions.

As far as posthypnotic suggestions, I do believe conditioning can help reinforce your suggestion, and therefore stated it depends on the suggestion, and really can last for a nice long time.

-ThrallMind

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2008
france
didnt read all the posts so i might be a little of topic.

just wanted to point out that i had no idea you could learn hipnotism, i thought it was all tricks and smart illusions, perhaps psycological sibtelties, but actually hypnotising, as in puting someone in a trance and dealing with theyre subconsious i thought was just for supersticious people.

anyway, this thread has sparked my interest, particularly the number forget routine, where can i learn the basis of hipnotism? i see alot of books claiming they will teach it to you in 2 weeks and such but those just seem like bad books.

also i would like to know more about hypnotism from the more experienced hypnotists on this forum, one question which has been bugging me is how much of hypnotism is BS and how much of it is possible, and the stuff that is possible how does it actually work in scientific terms? do you really put someone in a trance? or is that just what you want it to look like your doing?

sorry if iam overwhelming people with questions I am just a little confused but fascinated

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
If this was in fact directed at me, I don't put hypnosis on a high horse. All a hypnotist does is facilitate moving someone into a naturally occurring state, and make sure they stay there to be able to learn or change what they would like to. People who consider hypnosis a way of controlling others will be a poor hypnotist, and have much resistance. You don't drive the car, you just help give directions.

Sorry, I wasn't directing this towards you specifically. And I'm sorry if I was on a high horse. I had just gotten home from seeing my son and it was very late. So I might've come off worse than I had meant to. Please take my comments as discussion and some explaination of things I know to be true and not as offense. I honestly don't want to offend anyone or come off as "big-shot-know-it-all". And you'll find that if I am wrong, I am the first person to admit it. :)

Also, I get a lot of "Oh you're a hypnotist? Don't talk to me or you'll make me dance like a chicken in my underwear!" stuff from people. I just like to make sure they know that if they really want to do that, all I do is guide them. (I love your car example. That's perfect).

About post hypnotic commands, I would say that hypnosis aids conditioning, not the other way around. For example, my girlfriend loves to "go under" and I put her under a lot. But, even though she enjoys it, even though she trusts me, even though she has been post-hypnotized over and over (without true psychological conditioning), there are times when she can and will resist the command. It depends on her mood, the circumstances, how she feels physically, etc.

That's why it happens that someone who is otherwise shy and reserve will do some crazy stuff while in a "trance". (Stage hypnosis or not). It's because the person wants to whatever is commanded of them to do it, and actually uses the hypnotism as an excuse. It's the same thing about why people will do things while drunk but not sober. Alcohol is a great substance for lower inhibitions and those "filters" in our minds making us more open to suggestion it also gives one to the subconscious excuse to act that way. Hypnosis is much the same way. As a hypnotist, stage performer or no, has to be able to pick the most suggestable person. Or, set a mood so that they are in a mind-set to take a suggestion. This is waaay less powerful than true mind control or brainwashing or even conditioning.

By the way, as a side bar, one of the best hypnotic routines is getting people drunk on water. This works surprisingly well because most people enjoy the feeling and want to feel it.

And again, apologies if I am coming off as arrogant. I honestly don't mean to, and I'm sorry.

Jun 1, 2008
didnt read all the posts so i might be a little of topic.

just wanted to point out that i had no idea you could learn hipnotism, i thought it was all tricks and smart illusions, perhaps psycological sibtelties, but actually hypnotising, as in puting someone in a trance and dealing with theyre subconsious i thought was just for supersticious people.

anyway, this thread has sparked my interest, particularly the number forget routine, where can i learn the basis of hipnotism? i see alot of books claiming they will teach it to you in 2 weeks and such but those just seem like bad books.

also i would like to know more about hypnotism from the more experienced hypnotists on this forum, one question which has been bugging me is how much of hypnotism is BS and how much of it is possible, and the stuff that is possible how does it actually work in scientific terms? do you really put someone in a trance? or is that just what you want it to look like your doing?

sorry if iam overwhelming people with questions I am just a little confused but fascinated

check out Anthony Jacquin's "Reality is Plastic"

Jun 1, 2008
This was origanally a post in another thread but it seems like a good topic. So here it is...

I just started doing Hypnotism like 1 week ago. I am a great magician and an Okay hypnotist. I decided to test out my few basic methods on 10 people. I did and here are my results:

Unmoveable Arm: In one form of hypnosis, after the volunteer has gone into a "trance" you hold their arm up and tell them that it is like a metal pole and will not move up or down. You say on the count of three they will keep their eyes shut but they must try to mov their arm up. They can't. This worked on 10 out of 10 people.

Unmoveable Eyelids: Basically the same thing as above only here while their eyes are closed they look at the ceiling with their eye balls and can't move their head. In the end instead of their arm failing to move their eyes don't open. This worked on 10 out of 10 people.

Refusal to Release: In this effect the volunteer holds an object while they are in the trance. It may be a spoon, fork, spork, pen, pencil, or marker. They are told that their arm is bionic and it will not release the object. On three they are told to release it. Their hand will not open. This worked on 8 out of 10 people.

Number Forgotten: They forget the number 4. They are then asked to count 1 through ten every time you touch a finger. they say: " ONE, TWO, THREE, FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT, NINE, TEN, ELEVEN." You ask them how many fingers they have and they say eleven. Now you go backwards. They then remember the number. This worked on 5 out of 10 people.

Name Forgotten: The name says it all. This causes the volunteer to completely forget their first name. You then tell them that they will say it out loud when you snap but immidiately forget it again. They do. Then you count to three and their fine. Worked on 3 out of 10 people.

My own effect: Thin Air: WARNING: THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS AND HAS NOT YET BEEN PERFECTED. I HAVE ONLY DONE IT ONCE TO MY COUSIN. THIS CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE BRAIN IF NOT DONE QUICK ENOUGH. Basically the persons breath thins and on the count of three they can not breath anymore.now you count backwards from three when you hit one they breath deeply. DO NOT TRY!!!!!!!

Those are mine so far.

looking at the original post again..

the reason "NAME FORGOTTEN" worked only 3/10 people is because in order for such amnesia to take place, the subjects are required to be in deep state of hypnotism(somnambulism).

The reason why "unmovable arm" and "eye" works for everybody is because the subject are only required to be in light trance for miracles involving muscle catalepsies..

Thanks a bunch for all the replies guys. Let's just keep being respectful and helpful here. Also, I have been going into to deeper trance inductions as of today and 7 out of 9 name forgotten's worked. So I'm improving. I also put myself in a self induced trance and stopped my breathing. Don't worry.

I also just want to say that infact when they fall stop breathing they don't actually stop, they just believe they do. They however are still fine and so I have discovered on my friend that it does no damage to the brain or anything.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I can do that without trance...

Small children do it all the time when they want stuff, too!

-ThrallMind

LOL --- good point. :)

If I may, I'd like to give you some of what I do. So you might want to try things like:

Laughing Gas Word: People laugh at on single word (hint: To start off with when trying this, use a funny word like "Kumquat" then later you can make them laugh at any word). What I do is bring an air blower (like the one you use to clean your computer) and use that, telling them the sound of the air blower is the sound of laughing gas leaking into the room.

Mistaken Identity: Have a subject think that the person next to him or her is a celebrity. That person next to the subject can either be just themselves, the celebrity that the subject thinks s/he is, or better yet, a different celebrity!

Time Control: Slow down or speed up time for the subject. For example: give the subject a simple task and slow time down for them, so they are moving in slow motion. Then speed up time for them.

These are some of the basic things I do for my shows (but as I stated, I do R and X rated shows, so I have a little different twist). Once you get good enough, you should move away from individual tricks like this and make what I call a "Hypno-story" where you give each person a task like this and have the participants interact with each other.

That's were it really gets interesting.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Please dont go learn hypnosos from some books or websites and go out and do it.

Yes you can put someone into trance but things can go wrong.

If someone has been raped or have some other trauma things can go wrong and they can just freak out and start to cry, and i dont mean just freak out a little and cry alittle i mean ALOT.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Question on this subject.

Say someone loses something important like keys, a drivers license, credit card etc. They can remember that they had them in their pants pocket playing golf and having more than a few drinks. They remember bringing them home. Then this person takes them out and remembers putting them somewhere and thinking “this is not where I normally put them but I’ll remember I put them here”. Of course the next day they have no idea where they put them.

So a few questions on this.

1. Can this person do any type of self hypnosis themselves that will be effective in finding the items? (preferred method)

2. If not, can they go to someone for assistance in finding them?

I remember a story where someone witnessed a crime but couldn’t remember the license plate number. The investigators took them to a hypnotist and he was able to remember and the police got the crook.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice you can give on my (I mean) this persons situation. :eek:

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Please dont go learn hypnosos from some books or websites and go out and do it.

Yes you can put someone into trance but things can go wrong.

If someone has been raped or have some other trauma things can go wrong and they can just freak out and start to cry, and i dont mean just freak out a little and cry alittle i mean ALOT.

I've been doing hypnosis for almost twenty years. I've only come across something like that once. And that's only because I was digging and she wanted me to. It wasn't by "accident".

It's easy to avoid such things. You're not looking to change behaviors here, or play psychologist, you're goal is to just entertain. You actually have to try to get to the experience, and honestly, if you didn't tell the person that you were going to try, you're being an a*******. Also, people who've been through such an experience wouldn't want to expose it to someone else just like that.

And for training, you HAVE to learn from a book and try it on people. You have to get experience. Also as a stage hypnotist, you have to pick people at random all the time, and perfect strangers at that. To avoid what you are saying you just a) don't go digging for it b) make sure both you and the subject know what you are going to do and c) don't be an a******, you should be fine.

edited to add: I actually found a pretty good starter e-book on hypnosis. You can get it here for $12.95 http://www.trickshop.com/hypnosis.html

As I said, it's a good starter book. There are better inductions out there, but it's a good starter book and it touches on what was pointed out here in this post.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT

Say someone loses something important like keys, a drivers license, credit card etc. They can remember that they had them in their pants pocket playing golf and having more than a few drinks. They remember bringing them home. Then this person takes them out and remembers putting them somewhere and thinking “this is not where I normally put them but I’ll remember I put them here”. Of course the next day they have no idea where they put them.

1. Can this person do any type of self hypnosis themselves that will be effective in finding the items? (preferred method)

I remember a story where someone witnessed a crime but couldn’t remember the license plate number. The investigators took them to a hypnotist and he was able to remember and the police got the crook.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice you can give on my (I mean) this persons situation. :eek:

It has been proven that it can improve memory for incedents like that but there's a warning that goes with that:

The reason you can remember stuff better under hypnosis is a simple one: you are focused on the event. Period. Nothing magical, nothing supernatural, just simply you are completely focused on what you need to remember so more details come out.

However....

in this state of being completely focused on something, you're "filters" are down. What I mean is that you are very suggestable. Therefore, a hypnotist could say "do you see the green dog dancing the moonwalk on top of the table"? you will. And, in fact, seem to remember it when you come out of hypnosis.

This is why people believe that they've been abducted by aliens, think they've lead past lives, etc, because in that state of mind, a person is very suggestable. Also, our minds are horrible at remembering events. (What did you have for dinner last week Tuesday?) But if we throw something unusal into the mix, it tends to get cemented. (Quick without looking what color dog did I mention?)

Nov 23, 2007
NC
It has been proven that it can improve memory for incedents like that but there's a warning that goes with that:

The reason you can remember stuff better under hypnosis is a simple one: you are focused on the event. Period. Nothing magical, nothing supernatural, just simply you are completely focused on what you need to remember so more details come out.

However....

in this state of being completely focused on something, you're "filters" are down. What I mean is that you are very suggestable. Therefore, a hypnotist could say "do you see the green dog dancing the moonwalk on top of the table"? you will. And, in fact, seem to remember it when you come out of hypnosis.

This is why people believe that they've been abducted by aliens, think they've lead past lives, etc, because in that state of mind, a person is very suggestable. Also, our minds are horrible at remembering events. (What did you have for dinner last week Tuesday?) But if we throw something unusal into the mix, it tends to get cemented. (Quick without looking what color dog did I mention?)

Thanks. I know nothing on hypnosis so that was very educational. Now excuse me while I go get a new license and cancelled my credit card.:D

Actually this was one of the few myths that was actually proven on "Mythbusters." They acted out a skit in front of the people then they hadke a test and see what they remembered. They didn't do tooo well. Under hypnosis, however, they remebered the persons names, the company they worked for, the tattoo color and design, hair color, facial hair, etc. It improved their memory by 50%.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I wasn't going to contribute to this thread, because OwnerM has pretty much said everything I was going to say...as he usually does on this subject. :)

I've got a couple of extra little points though.

On the forgetting your name thing, I disagree that it takes a deep level of trance to achieve this effect. We could get into a debate about what constitutes trance in the first place, but essentially, all you need to do to make this happen is confuse the subject with some well-scripted lines or a physical pattern interrupt, give them the suggestion, and then consolidate it by asking a series of questions a bit too rapidly for the subject to process them properly.

Also, I want to add my weight (inconsiderable though it may be) to the argument that a standard hypnosis performance isn't going to do anything dangerous like stopping someone breathing or regressing them to a rape experience or anything like that. Suggestion under hypnosis can really just be boiled down to asking someone to do something in a very persuasive way. I'm a salesman, and so I've spent a lot of time studying how to turn conversations the way I want them to go. Hypnosis, as I see it, can be viewed as simply a way of structuring a dialogue in the optimal way for persuasion.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Highly Unlikely too.

Especially with a stage hypnosis.

Look, I've been doing hypnosis for almost twenty years, and stage hypnosis for eight years. (I do R rated and X rated adult Stage Hypnosis Shows). It does not change a person's morals, you can't. And you certainly can't use a "hypnotic trance" to make someone stop breathing enough to die or even be injured.

what do you do in your X-rated shows!? :confused: whatever it is, how ethical is it?

probably not suitable for kiddies.. PM it to me

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I will pm you with some of the routines I do, for obvious reasons. However, the question of ethicalness I felt should be addressed.

Remember - one will not do anything under hypnosis that they wouldn't want to do. Therefore, there can be no force.

Keeping that in mind, I advertise myself as an "R" to "X" rated hypnotist. Therefore the people who hire me know what they are going to get. Also, in an enviroment such as an adult party, they are already in the mindset for what I suggest to them.

Finally, with that, even if someone is at an adult party and doesn't want to participate, they wouldn't be on stage or I'd tell them to sit down ---- like any other "G" or "PG" rated hypno-show.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
he does know he can't
do this on stage I hope he dose unless he has a licence

Did you realize you're responding to a thread from four and a half years ago?

Also, I don't believe it's necessary to have a license to hypnotize people on stage. It's a good idea to get the training, but unless I'm mistaken, it's not a legal necessity.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results