my next magic order

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
hey guys I started this thing a little while ago that i call my magic fund, and i told myself when i reached 200 dollars, I'd spend it all,I made it.

I'm trying to build a reputation for myself (among lay people) outside of card magic, and i feel I've already established a card magic "rep"

so I've done some research and shopping and all that jazz looking beyond the card magic world, and i think i want to get into sponge-balls, and some out there stuff like Flow, and stigmata, and frozen, the likes.

so now i asked the more experienced magicians out there for advice and guidance, what books, and multi-trick DVDs, and things of that sort, beyond, the one trick wonders like i listed above, will do the best job, of strengthening me as a magician, and not just a card-man. i hopefully can sort through what suggestions wont work based on my style and what will fit my own typical performance environment, don't worry about that,

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Hey!

When posting these types of questions, post them in the Product Questions forum please.

So, onto the list. On the Spot by Gregory Wilson is a good DVD. I don't own it personally, but the material looks great. Everything is impromptu, and that's good when you don't have cards on you. This will probably be the best DVD for you, based on what you said.

Art of Astonishment by Paul Harris is an amazing series. Get them, or 1 or 2. So many pieces of strange....heh heh heh...

My first DVD was Glass by Adam Grace, and I loved it - still do. It gets away from conventional magic and focuses on a small pane of glass and a marker. It's a great DVD, and Aaron Fisher interviews Adam. Awesomeness.

Aside from that, I'd get some of the classics - Royal Road to Card Magic, especially. Card College as well.

Personally, I think you'd benefit from On the Spot, Art of Astonishment, and Card College. Don't forget to buy a brick of Bikes!

Ian

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Hey!

When posting these types of questions, post them in the Product Questions forum please.

So, onto the list. On the Spot by Gregory Wilson is a good DVD. I don't own it personally, but the material looks great. Everything is impromptu, and that's good when you don't have cards on you. This will probably be the best DVD for you, based on what you said.

Art of Astonishment by Paul Harris is an amazing series. Get them, or 1 or 2. So many pieces of strange....heh heh heh...

My first DVD was Glass by Adam Grace, and I loved it - still do. It gets away from conventional magic and focuses on a small pane of glass and a marker. It's a great DVD, and Aaron Fisher interviews Adam. Awesomeness.

Aside from that, I'd get some of the classics - Royal Road to Card Magic, especially. Card College as well.

Personally, I think you'd benefit from On the Spot, Art of Astonishment, and Card College. Don't forget to buy a brick of Bikes!

Ian

hey thanks for the heads up on where to post,

i already own the royal road, love it, still read it for a bedtime story sometimes, lol

Apr 15, 2008
Jay Sankey's "Hemispheres - Magic of the Mind" contains some GREAT high-impact mentalism routines.

Jul 14, 2008
I think you should purchase Sponge Ball! Jay Noblezada is an excellent teacher and his dvd was called SPONGE. It's a great add to your repertoire.

I have one idea. Look beyond what everyone else has bought. Seek for the most guarded things that people tend to miss out when they don't look. Cerca Trova...

Id read The Jinx if i were you. You can get it free now since it is not under copyright anymore, just search for it on google i think you will find it pretty quick.
It has some of the cleverest magic of all time, everything from matches to illusions, simple card sleights to spirit magic.

Mikk.

Dec 24, 2009
If you want a honest answer then read the following,

You will most likely never use those products for more than a month. Simple reason is you've grown accustomed to cards and how easy they are, and with these products you can't do that.

They are of course aren't very difficult but what you consider impractical is what you listed. You can't simply do these on a whim and the setup time is something I feel you wouldn't bother with.

I am of course basing all of this on a stereotype of young card magicians. You probably won't have any real build up to the effects and these aren't multiphase tricks where you can make them into a minute of idle patter. You really have to make it worthwhile.

You bring in a deck of cards and boom they see magic which is fine. Yet you bring over a water bottle and make the water float it just looks like it was pre arranged but really cool looking nonetheless.

Listen to Mikk, as there are much more products out there that have better quality from the little guys. Many of you probably know the author of one of the best mentalists books out there, please don't Cassidy or Corinda those aren't it.

Work on what you got, because like I mentioned before the stereotype most likely applies to you. Work on presentation more than anything and if every single one of your card effects can last up to 3 minutes with almost no dead time then move on.

Of course you can take this with a grain of salt if you want, but if you wonder why they figured out Flow or aren't impressed with or youtubing it then come back to this post.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results