My Routine

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
Hey guys! in october 15th I have a little presentation, I going to open a stand up comedy show, the problem was that I am a close up magician I don't like stage so we decided that is better to be walking table to table showing some tricks before the show begins, but that's not the thing, the thing is that I want to add a few tricks to my routine but I don't know what, if someone could help me would be great! This is my routine till now: (sorry about my english)

-Chicago Opener
-Ambitious Card Routine
-Search and Destroy
-Card to Wallet
-Bill Switch
-Imagine
-Stand-up Monte
-Unexpected Prediction
-Collectors
-Disintigration
-WOW
-Invisible Deck

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Uhh, hmm. You only do card magic? (besides the bill switch). And, you do that entire routine at one table? With presentation, that would take about 45 minutes.

Chicago opener is good, as is an ACR, but if you do too much with cards, people we get bored. In addition, guests at comedy clubs are not always the best mannered and heckling will be very possible. I highly suggest learning things like sponge balls/bunnies routines, one coin routine, coins across, three shell game, ring and rope routines, etc...

Well you could combine some of those routines together, otherwise your stuff may start to feel redundant. For example you could do your ACR and then go to finish with their card inside your wallet... however when you take it out, its the wrong card. Then you go into a WOW routine.

Do you do any sponge or rope magic? You may want to replace some of your card effects with that

Sep 6, 2010
I have a few questions for you....

1. Do you only do card magic?
2. How will you incorporate comedy into your routine?
3. How are you planning to transition from effect to effect?
4. How will you switch decks of cards (normal to invisible)
5. What angles do you need to be covered?

Ask yourself those questions and then you should be fine. Just not too many card effects (I do a lot of card tricks haha) but people get bored easily.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
I am in agreement with Zenn and Tokyo. Having a full card routine could be harmful to your performance (this rule does not count if you are pulling an all out gambling routine, but you are not). For research value in what you are doing I would advise David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic Volume 1 and Volume 2. These two volumes are packed with tricks and great advice to take walk-around and table magic to the next level.

PS- I really didn't notice too much wrong with your use of the English language. You speak it well.

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
No, I don't perform only card magic, but I feel more comfortable because I'm very good at card magic instead of sponge ball, coins, etc.. but I guess I'm going to add professor's nightmare to the routine of that night, well when I'm performing I talk to much making jokes and that kind of things, I will perform only 2 tricks in each table so the people want to see more and they ask me for my bussiness card also I won't be alone I have a partner, at least in my case nobody has get bored when I'm performing card magic.. (sorry about my english)

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
Yeah I was re-watching those dvd's last week that's why we decided to do it like so going table to table because I never had perform on stage and I don't want to put in risk this opportunity, I didn't know my english was good thank you.

Dec 10, 2007
my suggestion is don't learn ANYTHING new for this show. You don't have enough time. Even if you work exclusively on a new slight/routine for the next week, it will not have enough work put into it for it to be performable.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
First of all, if I am understanding this correctly, you are not an act per say right? You will NOT be up on stage or will you?
They way I read this it sounds like you are just entertaining guests at their tables before the opening act comes on and then probably a headliner afterwards.

That being said, comedy clubs are sometimes very dark, loud, hecklers, etc. You need to choose your effects wisely. If you are table hopping which is what this sounds like, I would have 3 sets of 3 effects on me. I would rotate two of the sets from table to table as I make my way around the venue. Then towards the end, right before my time is up, I would hit the entire audience with one or two last things that they all can enjoy, like a tossed out deck.

Make sure to carry plenty of business cards and I would leave them at each table after each table performance.

You have plenty of material to choose from. I would try to only have one card effect per each set. Vary the material a little.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
There is nothing wrong with doing all cards, but you have to routine it correctly. You must also be very good and entertaining in your patter or card tricks will get boring. I suggest breaking the set up into set up three that flow well.

This is an example of something i would do

1- something quick - Inscrutable by John carney
2- this leaves me with the four aces, so i would go into a ace assembly
3- maybe end with a collectors

I would then do something that isn't card, maybe a short spongeball routine. then bring the card back out and do another set of three.
You need to look at all your tricks and see which ones will flow together well.

just a like note, I like ending a set with the invisible deck. It can be powerful

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results