Need help on your Pass?

Sep 7, 2007
I got a couple of these Pass trainer decks in a few weeks ago. Customer ordered one, and I decided to toy with an extra I picked up. Seems like a very solid way to learn a pass.

Though I already had my pass down pretty well before I handled these, it would have been really nice to have a set like this sitting around. These steel plates help with more then just a standard pass, they work with all types of passes and cuts. Your not always dropping tons of playing cards and it builds up your finger muscles.

Well Recommended :)

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Why does a Baseball player use a weight on his bat?

I bet if someone used these steel plates for a while, then transitioned to a deck of cards it would feel a lot easier to perform a pass.

Mar 29, 2008
At first I thought, oh neat...but then realized, I could glue blocks of cards together to do the same thing. I am not sure the baseball analogy fits into training on the pass. Actually, not being able to practice with the actually object is what differs here - the weight, feel, texture and sound are so far off that I am unsure on how this would aid with cards, where just doing the pass with cards wouldn't?

The best tip I ever got was to use more than 52 cards, use 78 (a deck and a half) or even two decks, as when there are more cards to get around it is more effort to do the pass...also, use bigger cards, oversized, not jumbo, but ones a bit bigger than poker sized, as the same issue occurs.

When you switch back, the degrees of freedom seem far greater and allow you to switch the packets easier.

Cheers

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
If you do so desire to buy them, MJM does carry them, so you don't have to order from out of country.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The idea behind them is to strengthen the hands beyond the point of what's necessary, so that moving the cards is nothing. Gluing cards together won't give the same effect, because they won't be all that heavy. You'll get the mechanics down that way, but not the strength.

I used the same principle when I was really into martial arts. I would strap weights to my wrists and ankles and pound on the punching bag for a while. Then I'd take the weights off and because I had built up the strength in my arms by using weights, I was very fast.

I do the same thing with juggling and poi. The majority of my practice is with heavier gear, so when I switch to my normal performance gear I don't get worn out easily, since I'm used to moving so much more weight.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
While using a steel deck to build up hand strength is true, is it really needed?

I am pretty sure the past greats who helped to develop and fine tune the many passes that we use today never used steel decks. As a matter of fact, some of those past greats were the ones who recommended using more cards as already suggested, or using rubberbands to band the 2 halves together. But if using a steel deck to work on hand strength is what you need, then by all means go for it! :)

Personally, this steel deck could be used for a lot more things than just a "pass helper"...some pretty cool ideas come to mind!

Mike

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results