Need some tips on the Erdnase grip (Bottom Deal)

Nov 27, 2012
What's up guys! I've been trying to get down the erdnase grip on the bottom deal but I'm having most trouble in the loosening action, I don't know if it's because my fingers are not strong enough or because the size of my hands (I can barely mantain the grip properly) Any advices? Thanks a lot!

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
How long have you been practicing that grip, and how long have you been practicing bottom dealing?

Generally speaking, when you first begin the long road to the bottom deal, this is the first problem you encounter. Your issue most likely does not involve the strength nor the size of your hands, and the size of your hands is not why you have trouble maintaining the grip. When I began, I couldn't even see how it was physically possible for the deck to fit into my hand like that, much less maintain the longitudinal pressure that bottom dealing requires.

I persevered because I had seen my friend with very small hands execute a mechanics grip bottom deal, so I knew it was possible regardless of hand size. For me, it took about two days of just sitting on my bed for hours putting the cards in that grip, trying to loosen the card, having all the cards fall on my bed, and repeat. After a week, I could loosen a card. After two, I could remove a card. It wasn't until about a month in that I could do any semblance of actually dealing from the bottom, and I am still trying to make it invisible (It's been about seven months now). I have practiced either 2nds or bottoms for one hour, every single day since I began over the summer. I have missed two days so far. I am still very, very far away from having what I would call a good bottom or second. Point is, it is a long, long road. There is not immediate gratification, and there are gonna be a lot of cramps and exasperating days along the way.

Also, practicing with a packet of only 35 cards or so will make the move notably easier to execute. It is not a bad idea to begin that way, just ensure that you are also practicing dealing with a full deck so you don't limit yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 27, 2012
thanks a lot! I've been practicing for almost a month now, but I will keep on for as long as I can

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Another thing that helped me when starting, if you have an omni-deck, place one card on top and one card on bottom, and attempt to deal the bottom card. That should allow you to maintain the grip, while still getting a feel for how the card comes out and where your fingers should be.

Dec 4, 2012
I also struggled a lot with the original Erdnase grip. I had been trying to follow the method taught by Jason England in his bottom dealing video where you use that grip for a month then try the modified Erdnase for a month before moving to a mechanics grip. I made it through the first month of the original Erdnase grip with a great deal of frustration. But I stuck with it and made it to the second month which I am currently in and the modified grip has been working wonders for me. While I still feel that I learned a lot from the lessons of the original grip I don't think Ill ever go back to it. With the index finger along side the middle finger the hand feels so much more natural and the loosening action goes much smoother. If your wanting to perfect the original Erdnase grip then more power to you and I wish you all the best, but I do recommend trying the modified grip out and seeing if you notice any improvements. Happy practicing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results