Needs help urgently.

Nearology

Elite Member
Jan 30, 2011
Well guys, i would like to ask, if you would be performing to a groip of people that both of you guys don understand each others languages,ehat type of trick woud you perform? Pls state the name. As i have volunteered to perform to a group of poor little kids whom have been outcast by their vilages just because they were born a little abnormally... Your help is appreaciated

Jun 14, 2012
California
Well it's gonna sound a little corny but if you ever watched one of david blaine's specials he preformed in haiti, since he didnt know how to speak like them he stuck to preforming visual magic like coins across and such.

May 6, 2012
Card to mouth or ACR seem to be stuff you can achieve just with gestures and body language. Rubber band stuff is always very visual. This is not card magic but it may be useful: http://youtu.be/zH7VA9Q49CA
Hope it helped. Good luck with your performance.

May 18, 2008
I'm in agreement with the above. There are a great many visual tricks that transcend language barriers. In situations where I didn't speak the language of those who I am performing for, I've done Jay Sankey's Holy Moly, my effect Mute (on Trcky.com), Sponge Balls, Andrew Mayne's Inversion... And I imagine effects like Animate and Restore by Jesse Feinberg would work really well too.

I concur with all the above. I currently live in Sweden (from USA/Louisiana) and while a good portion of the younger (15 - 30) year old's understand basic English, but they aren't exactly fluent. Then when you meet people in the (50 - 70) year old range there is a sharp drop-off in their English completely.

However, I have found no problems with performing magic for any age group as long as you keep it very visual.

About 2 weeks ago my girlfriend and I were visiting her brother outside the Hotel he was staying at, just talking a bit, having a cigarette. I started doing a few cigarette vanishes/flourishes for him and about that time, an older gentleman whom I would say was around 70 who couldn't speak any English walked up as I was producing a recently vanished cigarette with a big smile upon his face.

Apparently, he had been watching me for a few minutes before hand.

I asked, "Would you like to see some card magic?" (my girlfriend doing the translating) He nodded yes and so I pulled out a deck of cards from my back pocket and showed him an Ambitious card routine which included Marc Desouza's "Shape Shifter" effect for the final reveal to that routine, and the super easy "Erdnase color change", and this man was completely blown away.

Keep it simple, keep it visual, and you'll do just fine.

Best of luck,

- Steve

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results