NEW 1-on-1 : The Spello Change by Jesse Feinberg

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
I completely agree that people not wanting come up with their own presentation is a major problem in magic, but if you just step back and look at the bigger picture then you'll see that it IS our problem. All of us. Anyone who is a magician stands to be affected by other practising magicians, because when you are in a restaurant and you introduce yourself as a magician, there will be those who become immediately disinterested because of the impact others of our trade have made on them.

Something you all seem to overlook is that allowing the bad magicians to remain bad does not reduce competition and make us seem better by comparison - it simply means that we will have diabolical magicians, calling themselves magicians and trying to get gigs making us ALL look bad.

Ok, I spoke out of line in regard to this point. Where I live, there are not many magicians who perform on a regular basis at all, so most of my spectators have not seen a live magician before. I apologize for not taking other perspectives into account.

Why should the artist show how they present their material? Because presumably the way that they perform it is, to their mind, the best way of presenting it to make it the most entertaining; and the more entertaining a trick can be made to seem, the more sales they are likely to make. Also it would seem to make a sort of intuitive sense that if one knows a trick and is planning on teaching it, then you would show it in the way that you use it rather than making something up that is less good than the real thing to advertise. That, my friends, would be counter-productive!
If the artist is aiming to make money, I'm sure they would, however, we can't make judgments on anyone's motives for releasing material.

OK I'm almost done. When you read a book, they typically describe the effect and then go on to explain the method. In a book, would you expect to find a description that played the effect right down to a sh!tty trick, or would you expect to see it being explained as something more? Obviously the description is there to make it seem really awesome...

Not in a LOT of cases. In a lot of cases, they don't play it up or down, they just describe it as it is.

e.g.
In effect. A card is selected by the company. The performer places it on the table to the right. Another card is selected and performer places it
on table to the left. The first drawn card is now placed on top of the deck, which was lying on the table, and the two selected cards are commanded to change places and found to have done so.

[From Erdnase]

Most books preface the effect like this. Most magic products have the effect written on the box/packet like this. The "something more" comes from the method.
I work in a magic stall, and magic does not sell itself. I have NEVER had a lay customer come into the stall, read a trick's description, and then based on that, make a decision to buy. If I didn't demonstrate the tricks, or at least describe them in greater detail, my sales would be next to none.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Just thought I'd chime back in here.

Not in a LOT of cases. In a lot of cases, they don't play it up or down, they just describe it as it is.

e.g.
In effect. A card is selected by the company. The performer places it on the table to the right. Another card is selected and performer places it
on table to the left. The first drawn card is now placed on top of the deck, which was lying on the table, and the two selected cards are commanded to change places and found to have done so.

[From Erdnase]

In my opinion, this is good. The best way to teach somebody a trick is with no presentation whatsoever, because then they are forced to create their own. This is the best alternative. The second best alternative, in my view, is to provide the customer with good patter, so that for the ones that haven't learned to/how to add their own presentation, they don't kill the trick until they have matured enough in terms of magic to be able to write their own. Also, this provides an exemplar so the magician knows what to aim for. The worst, in my opinion, is bad presentation. Many new magicians will copy the presentation straight from the dvd, because they assume it is the best way of doing it, or because they don't know how to make better patter. These magicians then get the 'omgwtf' reaction, due to the visual nature of the trick, and assume they're doing magic, when in reality, they're far from it. This is a very easy trap to fall into, and a very hard trap to break free from. Therefore, if the teacher is going to provide a context for the concept they are teaching (in this case, the concept is the moving writing and the context is the 'prediction') then they should at least provide a context that the magician can learn from, to further their magic. If not, they might be increasing the learner's magical knowledge, but are they actually furthering their magic, or are they hindering it? I'm inclined to lean towards the latter.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
TheatreHead - you seem to be under the impression that you are disagreeing with me, but this is not true. I completely agree that people not wanting come up with their own presentation is a major problem in magic, but if you just step back and look at the bigger picture then you'll see that it IS our problem. All of us. Anyone who is a magician stands to be affected by other practising magicians, because when you are in a restaurant and you introduce yourself as a magician, there will be those who become immediately disinterested because of the impact others of our trade have made on them.

Depends on your approach my friend.

Why should the artist show how they present their material? Because presumably the way that they perform it is, to their mind, the best way of presenting it to make it the most entertaining; and the more entertaining a trick can be made to seem, the more sales they are likely to make. Also it would seem to make a sort of intuitive sense that if one knows a trick and is planning on teaching it, then you would show it in the way that you use it rather than making something up that is less good than the real thing to advertise. That, my friends, would be counter-productive!

Ok, let me add something here...Dan Hauss, who is a good friend, is also like the MacGuyver of magic. The man creates and creates and does a damn fine job of doing so. Dan will tell you himself that he is more of a creator than a performer, and creates for others to perform. One example would be for his effect, Unmatched off of his Restless DVD. The effect was re-performed by Eric Jones because Dan wanted to show what it would be like to have the effect he created be performed by a seasoned performer.

OK I'm almost done. When you read a book, they typically describe the effect and then go on to explain the method. In a book, would you expect to find a description that played the effect right down to a sh!tty trick, or would you expect to see it being explained as something more? Obviously the description is there to make it seem really awesome and if spello-change in the video is as awesome as Feinberg can make it then he is doing neither himself, the art, or yourself any favours. As you said - it is the performer's duty. Something you all seem to overlook is that allowing the bad magicians to remain bad does not reduce competition and make us seem better by comparison - it simply means that we will have diabolical magicians, calling themselves magicians and trying to get gigs making us ALL look bad.
I'll say it again - I am not saying these things in order to stir up anger, but instead to try to make just a few of you realise what an effect you are having on others and what an effect they are having on you.

Disagree button engaged! When I first started in magic, 16 years ago, I would watch every VHS tape 3+ times to not only learn the moves, but also learn the patter as well. So basically, I became a copy of Michael Ammar...casting shadows everywhere I went. Fast forward button >>

So now when I watch an effect on a DVD or a 1on1, I will listen to the intro to give me a rough idea of what is supposed to happen and then I mute the TV. I wanna see the moves, and not be influenced by what they are saying or how they are saying it. Then, I will look at the explanation of the effect and then after I come up with my own ideas...will go back and re-watch everything from start to finish.

Because I think a good magician can look at the EFFECT, and decide within just a few seconds if this is something he/she can add to his/her repertoire or not. While the beginner magician needs a helping hand every step of the way; needing to know what to say at what time. Needing to know when to execute a certain move...etc. Notice I didn't use the word "bad" before the word "magician".

Spello-change has the potential to be a "damn good revelation" but, as stated before, if you simply use it in a trick like the one that Feinberg uses it is still rubbish. I like what you said, Dan, about it being a tool to allow people to find their own presentation for it, but what I am saying is that there will be a catastrophic proportion who don't come up with their own presentation, use the one in the video and thereby reflect badly on us all.

So I guess what you are trying to say is that by being rude, calling Jesse "stupid" and telling him how and what to do...that YOU are benefiting the magic community in some way? Care to explain how? Because personally, I find your first post on this topic very offensive. We are but a small group of individuals who all share a love and passion for one thing - magic. We need to support one another, not lash out and toss rude comments to each other. If you have friendly advice, then post it. If you have feedback about something you find as a "flaw", be constructive about it. Don't be rude and insulting about it, because in reality, you are making yourself look ridiculous.

Mike

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
Depends on your approach my friend.
So I guess what you are trying to say is that by being rude, calling Jesse "stupid" and telling him how and what to do...that YOU are benefiting the magic community in some way? Care to explain how? Because personally, I find your first post on this topic very offensive. We are but a small group of individuals who all share a love and passion for one thing - magic. We need to support one another, not lash out and toss rude comments to each other. If you have friendly advice, then post it. If you have feedback about something you find as a "flaw", be constructive about it. Don't be rude and insulting about it, because in reality, you are making yourself look ridiculous.
Mike

Mike, you generally seem to be a sensible person and your ideas are clearly well-formed. I should just say, though, that I did not intend to be rude to anyone. Granted I was rude about the effect, but there seems no sense in being dishonest about my thoughts on a trick. At no point did I call Feinburg stupid, although I initially referred to his patter as patronising and stupid (which I stand by). I apologise to anyone who found my post offensive, as that was not my intention. I have no desire to offend or upset anyone, nor instruct, but to advise and sincerely point out the flaws in the way he presented the effect. As mentioned before I have no quarrel with Feinburg himself, I am sure he is a perfectly nice individual and a skilled performer etc.

Friendly advice is all very well and good, but if everyone who had something positive to say always said it and those without kept their peace, then the art of magic would never advance. As soon as we stop being critical, we force the art to a standstill.

"If I have performed badly and have people lie to me and tell me I was good, then I am being encouraged to atrophy: to stop moving forward and developing what I do." Derren Brown

Finally, in answer to your question, I do hope to benefit the magic community in some way, yes. By being prepared to get a bit flamed, I am optimistic that I can make at least a couple of people realise how awesome they're not.

Jesse Feinberg

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/1on1/#n
May 21, 2010
Boston, MA
www.jessesmagic.com
Alpha Cards have been one of my best sellers! The special cards don't work perfect in certain climates... and they aren't meant to accomplish the whole effect (they only change about 80-90%). I usually use a top change or shapeshifter near the end... then I hand their card back for examination. Did you purchase it from me? Eitherway, I'd be happy to send you a different trick as a free replacement. Let me know, I am always available for help :)

Email: Jesse@Jessesmagic.com

May 9, 2008
I just bought this trick and watched it! I had to it's just so visual! Initial impressions are that it's awesome! You should be able to find everything you need really easily. Definitely worth the $10. It does teach presentation, but doesn't teach patter or performance. This is not a downside, because your patter and performace is limited only by your imagination. I'm sure you could use this reveal a million different ways. This was very very clever. I'm definitely pleased with my purchase. It's the first one-on-one I've purchased. I'll definitely be getting more. The first time I watched it it blew my mind, and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time. The handling is so subtle.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results