NEW MAGICIAN ALERT

Oct 19, 2015
I forgot to mention, that I did get Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, it is wonderful! I found a used one on either ebay or Amazon. I was not real expensive and has a lifetime of tricks and information in it...!

Reactions: d_llusionist
Jun 21, 2016
Murrieta, CA
Magic books are the best thing i can suggest, youtube is great but if you want to learn the good stuff, magic books are the way to go. Might i suggest The Expert At The Card Table by S.W.Erdnase and if you want to learn about presentation and showmanship you should read Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms. All these books are great and are highly valueble lessons , their great.
SHOWMANSHIP has been a big focus of mine thank you so much for that reference.

Jun 21, 2016
Murrieta, CA
Well I was gonna say cups and balls but I guess ol' Mr. Book got here faster haha. I recommend dabbling in cardistry also. It may not be magic but it teaches you dexterity that is paramount in slight of hand and it makes you more familiar with the cards.

Man thank you, these cardist are absolutely amazing too aren't they ? How long have you been practicing?

Jun 21, 2016
Murrieta, CA
I forgot to mention, that I did get Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, it is wonderful! I found a used one on either ebay or Amazon. I was not real expensive and has a lifetime of tricks and information in it...!

Thank you so much for telling me your story, you know I just want to make sure I'm flawless at all times. Call me a perfectionist I guess.

Aug 4, 2015
Man thank you, these cardist are absolutely amazing too aren't they ? How long have you been practicing?

Oh, I don't know. On and off since 2015. I'm kinda "jack of all trades, master of none." The key is you should focus on one flourish PERFECTLY and then move onto the next one. Or else you won't be any good. I learned this the hard way. I got so excited and ahead of myself, I couldn't practice them all. I can do a card fan, a few cuts here and there, some changes, and a cascade. I still need to work on it.

Reactions: d_llusionist
Jun 21, 2016
Murrieta, CA
**Reads comments** But.... I am an artist on T11 and was featured on 52 Kards..... :'( lol

Its all good David ;) I know what ya mean. lol

Ordered your book by the way man I am excited for it to get here. I'm also excited to meet with you and to learn all the things you'll be able to teach me. That with constant practice I will be just as well versed in my performance as your are.

Jun 21, 2016
Murrieta, CA
Oh, I don't know. On and off since 2015. I'm kinda "jack of all trades, master of none." The key is you should focus on one flourish PERFECTLY and then move onto the next one. Or else you won't be any good. I learned this the hard way. I got so excited and ahead of myself, I couldn't practice them all. I can do a card fan, a few cuts here and there, some changes, and a cascade. I still need to work on it.

So your thought would be to take one flourish and practice it repeatedly before moving to the next one?

Jun 21, 2016
Murrieta, CA
For card magic, Roberto Giobbi's Card College series. Start with the first two books (if you can't afford all of the series) and Card College Light. If you are on a budget, start with Royal Road to Card Magic, Scarne on Card Tricks, Fulves Foolproof Card Tricks and Expert Card Technique. Later, check out the Art of Astonishment books, any of John Bannon's books and any of John Gustaferro's books.

For general sleight of hand, the best starting place is Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. For coin, Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.

If you give me examples of the types of effects you like, I can give more specific recommendations.

Actually, false cuts are good for false cuts, a simple top change works for a top change and there are a lot more controls that work in the context of most effects. Your idea that it is more "fun" shows that you don't understand how to construct an effect using the most suitable sleights for the situation so that the audience isn't aware that anything happens. Most passes that I've seen learned off the internet have too much unnatural movement so the audience thinks "something" has happened. If I ever use a pass, it will be in the context of keeping a stack after a spectator makes a cut or some other similar need for moving the packets - not just a single card.

Again, you are assuming that the tutorials are good because you probably don't know the difference. I've seen the channels you mention and (besides their presentations using awful say-do-see patter) their technique is usually not the best. Most of the others are copying what they learned incorrectly from those guys. The key is not being able to figure out what they did, but not even knowing that they did something. Their focus is on the "move" without the depth of understanding that is necessary to properly performing the move. Physical dexterity is only a small part of the performance.

Expert at the Card Table is difficult to understand without knowing a good amount of background. Most people who recommend it haven't worked through it and can't perform most of the material in it. They just recommend it because others recommend it. If you do work through it, you should have a couple of years of experience and go through it using Darwin Ortiz's Annotated Erdnase.

I wrote down this list and I'm on my way to barnes and nobles later today to study. Now I'm big on color change and vanish effects. Is there anything in particular that you would suggest for that. How often do you think I should practice?

Oct 19, 2015
Ordered your book by the way man I am excited for it to get here. I'm also excited to meet with you and to learn all the things you'll be able to teach me. That with constant practice I will be just as well versed in my performance as your are.

I am jealous as I cannot meet with these guys as I live in the center of the country. Take advantage, this is the best way to learn, is having a teacher!

Aug 4, 2015
So your thought would be to take one flourish and practice it repeatedly before moving to the next one?

Well, yeah more or less. I just say that because you always need a backup plan for your routine. Say you're palming a card and someone notices and points it out. With a wince, you then say "Aww...man" hands the card " but where's the deck?" And you just recaptured your audience. Personally, I'd rather perform one decent trick very well, than two tricks and just *hope* I can do it right.

Oct 19, 2015
Same! I can't find anyone here on the east coast...
Sure glad we have the internet, when I was a kid, I lived up in a small town in the Colorado mountains. Once a year I would go to Denver to spend time with my GrandParents. I knew of 2 magic shops and I would save money all year to buy new tricks. I would spend literally hours in the stores looking at everything. Then I would buy one or two tricks....they would have to last me for a full year.

Now with the Internet, it is click and go, although I still love spending time in good magic shops.....

Reactions: obrienmagic
Aug 4, 2015
Sure glad we have the internet, when I was a kid, I lived up in a small town in the Colorado mountains. Once a year I would go to Denver to spend time with my GrandParents. I knew of 2 magic shops and I would save money all year to buy new tricks. I would spend literally hours in the stores looking at everything. Then I would buy one or two tricks....they would have to last me for a full year.

Now with the Internet, it is click and go, although I still love spending time in good magic shops.....

At least you even have magic shops. The only "magic shop" I have around here is an hour away and suspiciously looks like a knock-off party store.

Reactions: obrienmagic

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
He can use any method of controlling a card to the top so do not tell him the pass should be ignored. The pass is a great sleight for getting a card to the top without any weird or stupid looking moves. You also have plenty of time to control a card to the top with the pass unlike other weird and somewhat immature methods

May 17, 2016
I'm going to say it again because there is some disagreement. Learn the classic pass, not only to use it often but it highly increases your finger dexterity, in which, is very important. Once you learn it, then you decide whether or not to use it.

Jun 21, 2016
Murrieta, CA
He can use any method of controlling a card to the top so do not tell him the pass should be ignored. The pass is a great sleight for getting a card to the top without any weird or stupid looking moves. You also have plenty of time to control a card to the top with the pass unlike other weird and somewhat immature methods

now a classic pas is what I should be practicing right?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I wrote down this list and I'm on my way to barnes and nobles later today to study. Now I'm big on color change and vanish effects. Is there anything in particular that you would suggest for that. How often do you think I should practice?

Practice when you want to. Practice should be fun, not work. A lot of the books are available on Amazon but also magic sites like Penguin Magic, L&L Publishing, Hermetic Press.

For color change and vanish type effects, your best bet is to start with Card College Volumes 1 and 2 and then move on to the Art of Astonishment series using Card College 3 through 5 as references for the moves Expensive, but you will be learning correctly.

Same! I can't find anyone here on the east coast...

If you are in the Northeast, send me a PM with your location and I can point you in the right direction. Also, if you are anywhere near Philadelphia or New York, there are a lot of great venues to meet other magicians. Plus, I'm always willing to grab a coffee, lunch or dinner with other Magi in that area. My advice is to check for local SAM or IBM rings.

Obviously, he can use any method he wants. The question is the BEST method. What is the best method depends on the context of the effect. A Marlo Tilt could work in some instances where the magician has control of reinserting the card (especially if you have a double backed card on top) ; a side steal to palm might be great if you want to hand the deck to the spectator to shuffle and then put the card on top; a control to the bottom followed by a gambler's cop might work it you want to reverse the card; a diagonal insertion is simple and clean; getting a break, cutting and riffle shuffling is easy and flies by anyone; Lee Asher's Losing Control is amazingly clean; an injog shuffle done casually could be perfect.

The problem is you are learning a sleight and then trying to find a context to use it. It is like learning to bang a hammer and then using it to pound nails, crack walnuts, kill flys and type on your computer. Use the right tool for the job.

I'm going to say it again because there is some disagreement. Learn the classic pass, not only to use it often but it highly increases your finger dexterity, in which, is very important. Once you learn it, then you decide whether or not to use it.

Why learn something that you will rarely use? The pass has acquired this mystical aura of being some sort of holy grail of skill. I can't tell you how many kids I've met that want to show me their pass. Then when I ask them to if they use it in an effect, the answer is "but didn't you see how good my pass was?" I simply smile and tell them that the idea is "not to see" for a move to be good. Anytime someone asks to show me their pass, I know that they have little experience actually performing for live people.

I have probably around 200 magic books in my library with around 75 effects on average in each book. I would guess that out of the 15,000 effects there are less than 100 that use the classic pass.

Other than goofing around with cards, name one effect where you use the pass in performance.

now a classic pas is what I should be practicing right?

No. Spend your time learning fundamentals. In time you spend working on a classic pass to get it performance ready, you could go through an entire volume of Card College. You are best learning a variety of methods, sleights and plots than spending countless hours learning a sleight you will never use.

Also, focus on learning effects (what other call tricks). Learning sleights does you no good if you don't know how to use them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results