Newbie question (help)

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I have been working with flourishes for about one year now and sad to say I'm not doing very well. I can do the "Madonna" part of J5 and "Molecule four". Trying very hard to work on "Pandora". So here is my question...

How much pressure should be used to hold the cards?

I know that the question may sound funny because I'm already doing some flourishes, but due to all the other cool stuff I want to learn, I find myself dropping lots of cards or my spins fall apart. I do know with practice I'll get better. Just didn't know if there was something I could be doing different.

Thanks to all who have advice for me. Oh, by the way I am waiting on "Genesis" and have been told that it's good for beginners.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
I have been working with flourishes for about one year now and sad to say I'm not doing very well. I can do the "Madonna" part of J5 and "Molecule four". Trying very hard to work on "Pandora". So here is my question...

How much pressure should be used to hold the cards?

I know that the question may sound funny because I'm already doing some flourishes, but due to all the other cool stuff I want to learn, I find myself dropping lots of cards or my spins fall apart. I do know with practice I'll get better. Just didn't know if there was something I could be doing different.

Thanks to all who have advice for me. Oh, by the way I am waiting on "Genesis" and have been told that it's good for beginners.

I know this isn't going to be what you want to hear but, it is really all preference. You will have to experiment and find what kind of pressure works best for you. And also, remember that Pandora is not an easy cut and will definitely take some practice. And so with that said, I wish you good luck.

Sorry it wasn't much help.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
SG is right. It's personal preference... and it all boils down to practice. It'll all hit you one day. Always does.

Practice Practice Practice... then practice some more

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Thanks you guys. That is what I needed to hear. To know that there is not some secret out there that no one wants to share will help me just practice till I get it.

Thanks again!

Sep 20, 2008
Hi there,

Practice is all well and good, but using a good deck of cards will definitely help a tenfold. Using a 'Broken in' deck as opposed to a dirty, overused and clumpy deck will definitely help when doing the spins and packet cuts with pandora (specially the 'Crabshack' phase) along with just flourishing in general, For me, if i cant fan the deck properly, then i cant use the deck to its full potential.

Doing the flourish slow at first is a good tip too. And if you really want your pandora to look like Dan Buck's, you have to pay attention to the minute details that come into play. For instance, in the opening phase of pandora where the deck is split onto three packets and a card is slid using your index finger- the card is then transferred using your middle and ring finger of your deck hand, as opposed to what, naturally people would do (and i am guilty of this too) would be the index and middle finger of the deck hand. (as its just easier to do.)

The end result of doing THAT, was that i had to rewatch the Tutorial of Pandora in the Trilogy and analyse why my opening phase looked different from what was taught. I then practically had to re-learn the whole move. Which was painfully annoying.

Moral of the story is, if you want to learn something, learn it the proper way. :)

And practice!

-Sin

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Hi there,

Practice is all well and good, but using a good deck of cards will definitely help a tenfold. Using a 'Broken in' deck as opposed to a dirty, overused and clumpy deck will definitely help when doing the spins and packet cuts with pandora (specially the 'Crabshack' phase) along with just flourishing in general, For me, if i cant fan the deck properly, then i cant use the deck to its full potential.

Doing the flourish slow at first is a good tip too. And if you really want your pandora to look like Dan Buck's, you have to pay attention to the minute details that come into play. For instance, in the opening phase of pandora where the deck is split onto three packets and a card is slid using your index finger- the card is then transferred using your middle and ring finger of your deck hand, as opposed to what, naturally people would do (and i am guilty of this too) would be the index and middle finger of the deck hand. (as its just easier to do.)

The end result of doing THAT, was that i had to rewatch the Tutorial of Pandora in the Trilogy and analyse why my opening phase looked different from what was taught. I then practically had to re-learn the whole move. Which was painfully annoying.

Moral of the story is, if you want to learn something, learn it the proper way. :)

And practice!

-Sin

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I like the Guardians and also I've picked up some Arcane. I like those also but they are a little more bulky feeling. And trust me when I say I watch the video's over and over again, to the point that the music gets to me. Some of the teenagers on here are so awesome at this that I some times feel I'm to old to be doing this stuff. I'm not old (37) but am getting there...lol

Thanks

Nobody can really tell you how much pressure to put on your cards, you need to feel it yourself. You can't really express it unless someone is there in person to tell you. But you'll be able to figure out the pressure once you're a well rounded beginner. There has to be a problem if you can't get a flourish down yet affter a year, probably because you need some foundaitons. But its alright, ha since you're getting Genesis. Sooooo just build that foundation up and then you'll be able to move on to the two handed cuts with ease.

P.S: For 2 handed cuts don't put too much pressure, just enough to move the packets around and perform fluidly.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Nobody can really tell you how much pressure to put on your cards, you need to feel it yourself. You can't really express it unless someone is there in person to tell you. But you'll be able to figure out the pressure once you're a well rounded beginner. There has to be a problem if you can't get a flourish down yet affter a year, probably because you need some foundaitons. But its alright, ha since you're getting Genesis. Sooooo just build that foundation up and then you'll be able to move on to the two handed cuts with ease.

P.S: For 2 handed cuts don't put too much pressure, just enough to move the packets around and perform fluidly.

Thanks. I can do the Molecule four very well and I've tried to add a D+M spread throw and catch at the end of it. The problem now is learning new ones. And I have been working on one handed cuts with both hands. Thanks for your input.

Too everyone, anything you say is helping me. Thanks again.

Jan 9, 2009
My first thought when reading your question was: "Has he not learnt Sybil yet?"

Try looking for Cardshark88's tutorials on Youtube, as he's got a very good step by step Sybil tutorial, and once you get that two handed cut down, you'll really be able to use it as a basis for questions such as you've asked in this thread.

As well as preference, it's down to the cut itself. Tornado won't work with a heavy grip, so obviously it needs adjustment. That's an extreme example, but you get my drift :)

Good luck!

-David

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
My first thought when reading your question was: "Has he not learnt Sybil yet?"

Try looking for Cardshark88's tutorials on Youtube, as he's got a very good step by step Sybil tutorial, and once you get that two handed cut down, you'll really be able to use it as a basis for questions such as you've asked in this thread.

As well as preference, it's down to the cut itself. Tornado won't work with a heavy grip, so obviously it needs adjustment. That's an extreme example, but you get my drift :)

Good luck!

-David

Yes, I did forget about the sybil. I have been working on that one too. D+M's sybil in the rain. It's OK but can use some work. So, I guess I know more then I thought. I have been known to ask stupid questions. I think in asking my question I was really looking for convertion with others doing things that I like. My wife and kids have had all they can with my none stop talking of magic and flourishing. So, thanks for responding. This site has helped me alot in the last few yours. And I plan on it helping more in the future.

Again to all, thank you for you help!

May 10, 2010
I don't really have alot of info regarding pressure on the deck, but I always keep a relaxed grip on the deck. However, I'll make sure that it isn't too loose, else all the cards start to drop, but it can't be too hard either, else the cards wont move around as flexibly as it should be. I guess you'll have to experiment with the pressure yourself. Some cuts or phases of a certain cut require more pressure than others, and vice versa. You'll get the feel of it once you get used to handling the particular cuts!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results