No Stupid Questions

SudarshanSorcerieS

Elite Member
May 15, 2020
Boston, MA
Ok, question round up! Only one question this time around.

Why is crediting important?

P.S.
I still forget to check The form responses so I apologize to who ever sent that because I have no idea how long its been there.
Well, credit is very important because you're appreciating someone for what they did. To be Magic Specific, if you're trying to perform a trick, and somebody asks you where you've learned it from, you wouldn't really want to tell them, or else the effect of showing the magic trick might not be that strong. You could at least say who made the trick, but no more. (Like don't say where you bought it, don't be that specific). So usually I get questions from people when they tell me how did you learn the trick, I wouldn't clearly say Theory11.com for example, I would say it from the Magician's name. Although if this is like a Youtube video, give the name of the magic trick or give the creator's name or even both. It would be a bad habit if you don't mention anything because you aren't appreciating the tricks. Tricks that you perform, that make you happy, you can't just say nothing about the creator.

Reactions: 010rusty

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Well, credit is very important because you're appreciating someone for what they did. To be Magic Specific, if you're trying to perform a trick, and somebody asks you where you've learned it from, you wouldn't really want to tell them, or else the effect of showing the magic trick might not be that strong. You could at least say who made the trick, but no more. (Like don't say where you bought it, don't be that specific). So usually I get questions from people when they tell me how did you learn the trick, I wouldn't clearly say Theory11.com for example, I would say it from the Magician's name. Although if this is like a Youtube video, give the name of the magic trick or give the creator's name or even both. It would be a bad habit if you don't mention anything because you aren't appreciating the tricks. Tricks that you perform, that make you happy, you can't just say nothing about the creator.

I strongly disagree with crediting material you perform unless you are performing for other magicians who inquire as to the method. In a performance for non-magicians, any inference that there is a method distracts from the impossibility of an effect. An apparent impossibility is simply downgraded to a trick. Further, names like Annemann, Vernon, Marlo, Fulves, Tarbell and Slydini are probably meaningless. Heck, for most magicians names like Frank Garcia, Roy Benson, Alan Wakeling and Al Goshman may be unfamiliar.

When lay spectators ask about how I learned an effect, my answer is "I've spent years studying the work and writings of some famous and some not-so-famous magicians in search of impossibilities that can astonish and entertain. Hopefully, I've done one or the other or even both for you today." That answer adds to the magician's credibility (I've worked hard and studied and what I do is difficult) and provides an air of mystery by telling the truth. Saying, I've learned it from a guy called IExposeMagic on Youtube doesn't have the same ring. If they ask how they can learn magic, I'll steer them toward Mark Wilson book, "there was a famous magician in the 1980s who wrote an amazing book for beginners. Although the book seems to be just for beginners, it contains more real knowledge about magic than any other magic book I've read."

For magicians, the answer I give them depends on the effect / routine and how much I like them. If the routine is something I regularly perform, I typically won't provide sources because I don't want people copying what I've developed into a presentation piece -- unless of course if you are one of the less than a dozen magicians I trust to keep my secrets. If it is something I've learned for fun and I like the magician, I'll tell them the source. If I don't like them, I'll just say, "I think it was in the Jinx or the Sphinx or maybe Apocalypse or Trapdoor.":cool:

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Ok, so question round up. 3 new hot questions!

Are Henry Christ & Jesus Christ related?
Why do so called "professional magicians" expose effects on social media that belong to other magicians?
Why do some "magicians" choose to not teach verbally on the products they offer for sale?

Firstly IDK what the first is a reference to, and I even googled it. It didn't look malicious so I put it.
The third one has me real curious. You don't know how many times I had to rewatch the old Criss Angel DVDs as a kid, because HE REFUSED TO SAY ANYTHING. You were just supposed to understand through Vague Hand Motions and silent a walk though.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Why do so called "professional magicians" expose effects on social media that belong to other magicians?
"Professional magicians" are just magicians who earn a living through magic.

As far as I'm aware, magic performances, writings or recordings can be protected by copyright, and a method must be new, have utility, be inventive and not have prior use to be patented (which very few methods truly are). So if somebody learnt an effect and exposed it publicly, as long as they didn't use the actual writings, recordings, etc., they are probably legally safe.

Exposing another magician's work becomes mostly an ethical issue at the end of the day. If a magician has horrible ethics, they will probably have pretty horrible word of mouth (though how much of that reaches non-magicians, I have no idea). If despite all that they can still manage to earn a living through magic, they'll still be a professional magician and be exposing methods. Those two things don't seem to be mutually exclusive.

That being said, your question has your answer. You mention they are ''so called'' professional magicians. Maybe they claim they are, but aren't. If they are, they might not have enough clout to attract negative press. If they are popular and still exposing effects that belong to other magicians, they might have personally acquired permission prior to revealing it, or the method is in public domain (for example, the Charlier Cut). Or they are deliberately attracting negative press, because apparently there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Why do some "magicians" choose to not teach verbally on the products they offer for sale?
I'm not really sure. It may be that they're not comfortable speaking to the camera? Or they think displaying the written instructions on the screen while executing the move is more efficient? Or it's a style choice? Maybe they forgot to export the audio?

I have come to not mind non-verbal tutorials however (a lot of cardistry tutorials are non-verbal). So if somebody's having a problem learning from a non-verbal instructional video, yet they have no alternative resource, I'd suggest slowing the speed to 0.25x, playing frame by frame and also trusting the intuition of your hands. There's only so many ways our fingers can move and sometimes, they instinctively know what to do, if you have spent enough time in sleight-of-hand magic.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Are Henry Christ & Jesus Christ related?

Henry Christ was a fairly prolific creator of card magic (https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/person/141). His name was pronounced "kriss-t". The "Christ" of Jesus Christ is a title, not a name. So while I believe that question was not malicious, I'm guessing it wasn't entirely serious, either.

Mohana touched on an important point above - "professional" just means you make the majority of your income through magic. A magician who runs a YouTube channel exposing other people's magic but makes enough money to live off of, for example, would be a professional magician.

While I believe jealousy and a lack of ethics frequently factors in, ultimately I believe it usually comes down to money and clout. Anyone in the performance field is looking to make money off performance, however they can. Many people have figured out they can use social media as a passive income source, and don't have the skill to create original content. So they expose and hope that will draw people's attention to click on the videos, and get their numbers high enough to make money.

Couldn't say for sure but it's likely a combination of factors. Maybe the person doesn't speak the language they intend to sell to? Maybe they're just bad at explaining things? It's essentially, "Watch how I do this. Now you do it."

In person, this works just fine. It doesn't often translate very well into video, though. Which is why the vast majority of videos these days do include verbal instruction as well.

Mar 9, 2021
Question round up. 2 questions this time around:

why bother with magic books at all, when the most visual magic which online magic influencers use to get insane followings are the one-trick dvd's or online videos? I don't practice magic to just get followings but it's EXTREMELY frustrating after going through book after book and then being bested by people who don't put half that time into even thinking about their magic. Yes I am sour. But I still think the question is valid. Why bother with magic books? Why bother with Strong Magic and Maximum Entertainment and not just pitch in 10$ every month for the next awesome 'visual illusion'?

What does IT stand for?

When you're starting off Magic books are really important, because a lot of things you cannot find online. When your a working professional and need to touch back on something, or find a trick, magic books are much easier to manage than thousands of online videos

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
This one is from like 5 days ago. Sorry about that. I have it hooked up to my email now so any responses should be recieved quickly

Should William Ellsworth Robinson be “cancelled”?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
This one is from like 5 days ago. Sorry about that. I have it hooked up to my email now so any responses should be recieved quickly

For those who don't know, William Ellsworth Robinson was an American magician of Scottish descent who performed as a Chinese magician named Chung Ling Soo in the early from 1900 to 1918. Robinson is more infamous for the one magic trick that went wrong than the rest of his act. In 1918, he performed a bullet-catch effect that he called "Condemned to Death by a Boxer" (referring to the Boxers of the Chinese Boxer Rebellion rather than a prize-fighter) which went wrong causing him to be shot in the lung on stage. Jim Steinmeyer has a great biography of Robinson called "The Glorious Deception."

That said, the idea of "cancelling" a historical figure is stupid. It is amazingly arrogant for us today to go back and judge people who lived a hundred years ago based on today's standards. What Robinson did was a widely accepted practice at the time. I'm more troubled about his copying portions of the act of Ching Ling Foo (an actual Chinese magician) than his choice of a Chinese magician as his character. There is an understanding that in magic, theatre and movies, the performers are playing characters. Robinson was doing just that. When analyzing someone else's life, don't judge them on based on what you see as their greatest failing, but judge them as you would like to be judged and that means looking at their actions in context, applauding their accomplishments and being critical of their failings.

The Orwelian idea of "cancelling" someone is exercising control over the interpretation of the past ("Who controls the past, controls the future: who controls the present controls the past”). I'm more for allowing the intellectual freedom to explore nuances, contextualize and evaluate based on a full understanding based on all the facts.

We all have our failings (both big and small), let's hope memory and history judge us based on our accomplishments and not just our shortcomings.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Two important things: I'm not Chinese so take my opinions with a fist of salt. Because the most important question should be how Chinese magicians (and non-magicians) feel about what he did. Secondly, I'll admit I wasn't aware of the issue before reading this (grateful because now I'm informed).

But to weigh in on whether to cancel him or not:-

"Cancel culture" isn't real. At least, not in the way we often think it is.

People (most infamously, pop celebrities) are "cancelled" on a daily basis and yet most of them are still raking in millions. Being cancelled often isn't an end-all-state, instead it's a phase. More aptly, I think of the ''cancel culture'' as the ''call-out culture" because cancelling somebody doesn't really work or even mean much.

Of course, the severity of the effect of being cancelled depends on the offence, which can range from a petty celebrity feud or an ignorant comment made by somebody young, to dicriminating or even criminal acts.

Basically, anybody defending or attacking, having faith in or blaming the ''cancel culture'' is, for the most part, doing all this to something that doesn't exist. The best that comes out of the "cancel culture" is that people are forced to take accountability and the worst that comes out of it is of course the psychological impact that somebody who's "cancelled" has to suffer. Nothing more than that really happens in the long run.

So if cancelling somebody alive and thriving doesn't work, then trying to cancel somebody who isn't alive any more, makes no sense to me. What should be done, in my opinion, is that what he did should be condemned and it should be acknowledged that his actions were directly or potentially harmful, and certainly insensitive.

Simultaneously, in my personal opinion, defending somebody because of the time period they lived in (or their age when they did/said the questionable stuff) is not entirely correct either. People should take accountability for ignorance no matter what their age was at the time and we should recognise why their actions were harmful no matter which period of history they're from. There isn't any shame in being ignorant. There is shame in defending ignorance or refusing to educate oneself.

Obviously if they're dead, there's not much they can do to apologise, nor much we can do to make them take accountablity. So we as a community should educate ourselves about why what he did was wrong, make sure we don't do or encourage the same, and move on.

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
Yes. Neil Patrick Harris is Paul Neil Harris's Dad.

It turns out that Neil Patrick Harris has that Benjamin Button disease. You know, the one that Brad Pitt had back in 2008? Not only that, but he has also had that Reverse Benjamin Button disease.

When he was on Doogie Howser back in the 90's, he was actually in his 90's.

Now, when he does magic or is on television, and he looks like he's in his 40's, he is actually only four years old.

When they say Paul N. Harris is "living magic," this is what they're talking about.

Benjamin Button disease, Reverse Benjamin Button disease, Doogie Howser, and being in your 90's.

another question round up. Only one question this time around

“Are Neil Patrick Harris and Paul Harris related?”

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Ok so...
forgot about these two. I apologize. They are actually genuinley interesting questions about dressing up and how one should and might look for their particular performance and style. They are

Why does Brad Christian wear eyeliner?

Why does Brad Christian wear mascara?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ok so...
forgot about these two. I apologize. They are actually genuinley interesting questions about dressing up and how one should and might look for their particular performance and style. They are

Why does Brad Christian wear eyeliner?

Why does Brad Christian wear mascara?

Because he trained in theater. Eye makeup emphasizes facial expressions do they can be more clearly seen from a distance. Also good for folks who have hooded eyelids.

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Some more
Why is the Waterfall Shuffle called the Waterfall Shuffle (No, not the Notis Cascade)?

Why is the "Matrix Levitation" called the "Matrix Levitation"? When it's actually a suspension, not a levitation.

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Another one

Does anyone still perform the Black Stack Production by Jay Sankey, now that 4chan trolls changed the OK hand gesture into a symbol of hate?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results