On-the-Spot Coin Bender

Apr 7, 2011
the underground.
I'll keep it brief:

The coin bend is DEFINITELY one of my workhorse effects, but I'm looking into a gimmick that's inexpensive that can bend SIGNED (<--- keyword) coins on-the-spot that gets the job done - undetected by the spectators that WON'T leave them "burning my hands". I've come up with a few prototypes myself and while some have worked others didn't but, they were either too bulky, didn't get the bend I desired or required an awkward position to achieve the move ... been working on a new gimmick that may "be the one", but I doubt it.

Anyways, any ideas or links you could pass along?! Thanks in advance!

Nov 8, 2007
This is one of those situations where you're going to get what you pay for. On the cheap end you have the Superman coin bend, which has its own limitations and issues. The next step up is Coinvexed, which is a bit better bit still not a perfect solution.

The only way to go really is to get a Quantum Bender. It's by far the best coin bender in every category concerned, which is also why it's so expensive. For me the price was more than worth it as it's one of my top signature effects and has more than payed for itself by now. Again, when it comes to getting an on-the-spot coin bender, you're really going to get what you pay for.

Apr 7, 2011
the underground.
This is one of those situations where you're going to get what you pay for. On the cheap end you have the Superman coin bend, which has its own limitations and issues. The next step up is Coinvexed, which is a bit better bit still not a perfect solution.

The only way to go really is to get a Quantum Bender. It's by far the best coin bender in every category concerned, which is also why it's so expensive. For me the price was more than worth it as it's one of my top signature effects and has more than payed for itself by now. Again, when it comes to getting an on-the-spot coin bender, you're really going to get what you pay for.

Very informative post and I appreciate that. The problem is, magic is a hobby of mine and I don't want to spend $500 on one effect - even if I know it'll take me far. I hope you understand what I'm saying. But with the ones you've mentioned, I think I'll go with the Superman Coin Bender. :)

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I'm looking for a coin bend at the moment so I'm now asking myself these questions. I'm in the UK so does the Superman bend work on the coins here? Is it worth spending $40 on that until I can afford to part with $500 for Quantum Bender?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks for the feedback you two, I'll probably place an order for superman at some point based on your feedback.

gavinross

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
toledo, ohio
I didnt care for superman, in fact ive been through a few cheap coin benders in the last few years and was not real happy with any of them, they're all collecting dust. I just stuck with prebending a quarter and switching it for their borrowed coin. I made the coin look like it was bending in front of their eyes. (PM me if you want details.) But it couldnt be signed, and every now and then I would have someone question it.
So it was at that time I put out for QB2 and it really is perfect. Here's how I see it, what good is buying an inexpensive piece that you may not use? Save up, get the QB2 - you'll have it forever and you Will use it, guarenteed. I'm an amature too, but if that's an effect you love, QB2 is the only way to go if you want it signed in my opinion. And as a tip, contact John via email, ask him if he has any used ones. I bought mine used from him for $350.00 USD. Hope this helps.
-Tyler

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Well I watched the trailer for Quantum Bender 2.0 and it looks so abnormal when he does the bend. The Superman bend looks cool though, you bend the coin at your fingertips just like superman would.
If your Superman gimmick is just collecting dust I'll take it off your hands Tyler.

Nov 8, 2007
Well I watched the trailer for Quantum Bender 2.0 and it looks so abnormal when he does the bend. The Superman bend looks cool though, you bend the coin at your fingertips just like superman would.
If your Superman gimmick is just collecting dust I'll take it off your hands Tyler.
You can make the coin bend however you want. That's just presentation. I do it in their hand with a hypnotic stiff arm. You can make the moment you bend the coin with the QB2 look identical to the demo in Superman. Again, that's all just presentation and has nothing to do with the actual gimmick.

I've owned both Superman and QB2, just as Tyler has, and I've had the same experience he has--my Superman did nothing but collect dust while my QB2 is something I literally use every day and usually close my close-up set with.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm looking for a coin bend at the moment so I'm now asking myself these questions. I'm in the UK so does the Superman bend work on the coins here? Is it worth spending $40 on that until I can afford to part with $500 for Quantum Bender?

Check out the Superman 2.0. It has two bending surfaces. One will fit wider coins. The gimmick will last longer because there are two bending surfaces (so if one breaks you still have the other).

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware there was a 2.0 of Superman.

You can make the coin bend however you want. That's just presentation. I do it in their hand with a hypnotic stiff arm. You can make the moment you bend the coin with the QB2 look identical to the demo in Superman. Again, that's all just presentation and has nothing to do with the actual gimmick.
I wasn't talking about the presentation or miming the bend, I meant when you put the actual bend in the coin. The way it's done with QB just looks so awkward and unnatural to me.

Nov 8, 2007
I wasn't talking about the presentation or miming the bend, I meant when you put the actual bend in the coin. The way it's done with QB just looks so awkward and unnatural to me.
Then your comment concerning the QB2 made no sense because you compared it to the moment the bend is revealed with the Superman coin bend by saying the "Superman coin bend looks cool... you bend the coin at your fingertips just like superman would." If you were referring to the moment the bend is put in and not to the moment the bend is revealed, then no, the Superman gimmick does not look like the way "Superman would do it." In fact, the moment you bend the coin shouldn't be seen at all by the audience. Just like no one should see the moment you put the bend in the coin when with the QB2 either. If they did for either the effect would kind of be blown. So perhaps you're referring to the misdirection John Sheets uses in the demo? If that's the case--you don't have to use his same misdirection at the moment you put the bend in. I don't. The QB2 is just a tool. A great one too. But how you use it and how you present it is all up to you. You could do it the exact way John Sheets does it if that fits you. I don't. In fact, everything about my handling and presentation is completely different. Again, it's just a tool. The tool is not the effect, nor does it dictate the handling. There's lots of info out on both gimmicks, as well as quite a few others that are of good quality. Do your research and I'm sure you'll find something that will suit your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Sorry, I've not been clear. When the actual bend is put in the coin with QB (not the reveal) it looks awful. It's the awkward way he moves his hands then turns the pen end for end or something quite quickly. Regardless of misdirection, I wouldn't be happy if anyone saw that.

When I spoke about the way superman would bend a coin I was referring to this kid http://youtu.be/oNQTesNgAeI He bends it at his fingertips, as I imagine superman would. That kids performance (apart from the amateur palming) looks much better than any performance on the QB trailer. No need to switch a sharpie either. I've never liked putting a sharpie in a pocket only to pull it out again.

Presentation wise both achieve all of them, bending in the spectators hand, bending over the magicians fingertips visually etc...

Nov 8, 2007
Sorry, I've not been clear. When the actual bend is put in the coin with QB (not the reveal) it looks awful. It's the awkward way he moves his hands then turns the pen end for end or something quite quickly. Regardless of misdirection, I wouldn't be happy if anyone saw that.

When I spoke about the way superman would bend a coin I was referring to this kid http://youtu.be/oNQTesNgAeI He bends it at his fingertips, as I imagine superman would. That kids performance (apart from the amateur palming) looks much better than any performance on the QB trailer. No need to switch a sharpie either. I've never liked putting a sharpie in a pocket only to pull it out again.

Presentation wise both achieve all of them, bending in the spectators hand, bending over the magicians fingertips visually etc...
Again, spectators do not see the moment the bend is put in, or see the switch. And again, you do not have to use the handling Sheets demos. Regardless, I'm glad you won't be performing it. The less the better. :) Hope you find something you like though.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time

You see whats going on because you know what to look for and it's pretty much impossible to misdirect a camera (unless he had the camera turn away.). Like Mat mentioned, the Coin bender is simply a tool and you don't HAVE to do exactly the same thing the guy does in the demo.

Apr 2, 2011
What's your purpose for a coin bend? To fool magicians?

Btw, just for additional information. I've performed the Quantum Bender many times and I made my performance as worst as possible. Still, no one caught it and reactions are great.

Tip: Don't think like a magician

Feb 4, 2008
Honestly Formula, you don't need to justify your choice by nitpicking handling quirks. One is a $40.00 gimmick the other is a $500 one. Unless you are a full time working pro or a or a very well to do amateur it is kind of a moot point. If you are really strapped for cash but you have the "stones" to convince a spectator that the bent coin they are signing isn't bent to begin with, then you can spend $10.00 on Morgan Strebler's "The Closer."

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
It's not that I'm strapped for cash. I just disagree with others that QB looks better than Superman. I've given up arguing about it though.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results