Opener For Mentalist

I remember reading somewhere that you are the opener. Introduce yourself, tell them about what you do, tell them you will demonstrate, and then do your first effect.

The opener will depend on what kind of mentalism you do, for example, Banachek's opener will differ from Keith Barry's, who will differ greatly from Darren Brown.
They do different types of mentalism, the characters they portray are different and that's what is important to look at.

What type of mentalism interests you?
PK, mind reading...etc

Truest statement thus so far on these forums.

Nov 8, 2007
Swami opener is great.

Grabs people's attention and is quick. Great way to hit them hard as it's simple and straight forward, then introduce yourself and what you're about and get into the show.

Jan 16, 2008
Hey Dee,

After checking out "Decisions", I still have no clue what it's about. The main plot is; you can always predict the spec's choices with either the YES card or the NO card?

I think I would like to get One In The Hand....a bit pricey though. Can the idea be applied to other mentalism pieces?

::dAvid

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
One in the Hand is brilliant.

The idea came from a Derren Brown effect. So yes the ideas can be applied to other effects.

I love it and I always have it set up in my wallet.

Jan 16, 2008
....on after thoughts....
this doesn't fit my routine. I prefer billets and stuff. If I open with OITH, I think I'll be hard put to top it up and make it out alive with another pricey Ender. :p

Dee, you haven't mentioned ANATE! How can you not being with Anate...or is that your ender?

::dAvid

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
One in the hand is great, as I mentioned in my PM, Decisions however is a much more vesitile prop, it's a set of cards, one with yes on it, one with no and there are tons of effects and routines in the book from some very respected mentalists.

Anate is a fantastic effect, when done right and in the right situation. While I know it sits in several mind readers staple routines, I choose to use it situationally, when I KNOW I'll hit. I have outs for it that are very logical, but it's the kind of effect I like to do only once or twice throughout a gig when I'll maybe hit 100 people during my time.

If you're looking for something to set you apart from the crowd, ANATE will do just that, if you are looking for a standard opener that you know will work as you need it to 100% of the time, then it's not ideal.

Best,

DC

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results