Opinion

Jun 24, 2008
Since this is my first post on Theory 11 I'll introduce myself. My name is James and Ive been doing magic for around 11 years now. I've got a pretty tricky question though: I've got a pretty large repitoir( sp?) but I beleive I may be one of the type of people that wants to know every method to acheive a certain goal. I've really been hitting this new genre of magic hard for around 2 years, but in no way am I claiming to be a novice. Anyway back to this dilema I'm looking for the most informative media( DVD, Book, PDF, what have you) to learn some more sleights from, I would personally rank myself as an upper-level intermediate, to advanced card worker. I'm looking for the best media to learn the most from, so any suggestions would be appreciated, and YES I'm done with the Trilogy=]

Thanks in advance
James

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Wow, you've learned everything that was on the Trilogy?
I don't think I've met 1 person who said they were finished with it, unless they totally gave up on it.

I wouldn't even know where to go to from there.
You can do every sleight perfectly?
You got to get some vids up then.

Daniel Madison's book "III" has some very interesting sleights that you may be interested in.

Also, expert at the card table or expert card technique are books that even the greatest card masters have not fully learned or mastered.

C=B

Jun 24, 2008
well...i'm still not happy with my " Juan Tamirez perpindicular side jog control" mabey it's just the name. I wouldn't go as far to say they're all perfect but I'm reasonabally pleased with them. Some are still in the works but I'm just becoming complacent with it. I ordered Surfaced and I'm sure that will keep me busy for quite some time but I still feel some how inadiquate bc I still have so much to learn

Jun 24, 2008
I can already see that I mispoke when I said done with the trilogy, I simply stated that so some might have an Idea as to what level card working to suggest. As for " Expert at the card table" I.....how to put this ... Im having alot of trouble with learning these more advanced moves from a book, I really see myself as a visual learner, so to say.

Thanks

May 2, 2008
well...i'm still not happy with my " Juan Tamirez perpindicular side jog control" mabey it's just the name. I wouldn't go as far to say they're all perfect but I'm reasonabally pleased with them. Some are still in the works but I'm just becoming complacent with it. I ordered Surfaced and I'm sure that will keep me busy for quite some time but I still feel some how inadiquate bc I still have so much to learn

Well, you don't have to learn everything. :p Just remember not to purchase too many things at once and take your time to practice what you have.

Jun 24, 2008
Thank you for that good advice, I absolutley agree that one should master what they have before moving on, however, I'd really like to know everything. I know how stupid that sounds but....I dont really know how t explain it.=] um, I dont really have that much left with the trilogy:
fixing the recovery for Tivo 2.0
D.D.C.
Duck change could use some work
and the aaron fisher pop-over move
And that's truly the only things on the trilogy I dont feel very comfortable preforming for a live audience
Flourishes is another story=]I'll get there soon though

Since this is my first post on Theory 11 I'll introduce myself. My name is James and Ive been doing magic for around 11 years now. I've got a pretty tricky question though: I've got a pretty large repitoir( sp?) but I beleive I may be one of the type of people that wants to know every method to acheive a certain goal. I've really been hitting this new genre of magic hard for around 2 years, but in no way am I claiming to be a novice. Anyway back to this dilema I'm looking for the most informative media( DVD, Book, PDF, what have you) to learn some more sleights from, I would personally rank myself as an upper-level intermediate, to advanced card worker. I'm looking for the best media to learn the most from, so any suggestions would be appreciated, and YES I'm done with the Trilogy=]

Thanks in advance
James

Having the level of experience you claim you do makes your question odd to me. I mean we should be asking you questions....

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
"Anyway back to this dilema I'm looking for the most informative media( DVD, Book, PDF, what have you) to learn some more sleights from, I would personally rank myself as an upper-level intermediate, to advanced card worker. I'm looking for the best media to learn the most from, so any suggestions would be appreciated, and YES I'm done with the Trilogy=]"

If you're one of those people, Brad would say Ninja 1 and Ninja 2. :)

Kinda old school but I'd recommend Darryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights Vol. 1 to 8. If you can overlook the cheesy visual effects and big hair, the sleights are taught quite well. I was introduced to him by Joey Burton and Antonio Esfandiari (who idolizes him), and unlike some compilation videos that Magic Makers puts out where some chap haphazardly does 120 slieghts, only half of which is done well, Darryl is EXCELLENT at EVERY slieght (Ain't he known as the Magician's Magician or something like that?). Of course, no patter with the sleights, but that's not the point, is it? $200-ish for the set. You'll learn who gets credit for what sleight and every once in a while gives you a bit of history, which is what I watch it for over popcorn and gummi bears... Really... there is absolutely so much jaw dropping material in this set, you eventually just put your cards down and watch it like a Ninja Warrior / Star Trek Next Generation / Sex and the City marathon.

I started with Vol. 8 for Darryl's Hot Shot Cut and False Deals which I've since given up after the hearing about the D+M incident...

Hope that helps!!!

Get the DVD's! FF / RWD in VHS sucks!!!!

Jul 7, 2008
I'm also new here, and this is only my second post right now. But I understand what you mean, by wanting to know everything.

You said, you're that good at cards, so why don't you just try and learn some other material, like levitations, penetrations or any menthalism. But if that doesn't help you, did you already try "Devil's Picturebook" by Derren Brown?
I was really impressed by that one, but I'm a novice, I could say.:p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results