Overcoming NERVES!!!

Hi guys! I finally made an account on here... But I have been here every day for like 2 years.

Ok now to my problem.

Whenever I perform to anyone, I get extremely nervous. So nervous that my hands start shaking. I do mainly card magic, so that gets to be a problem. I am really good at what I do, but I don't know how my nerves get to me every time!

So I am sure it is not a problem with just me, so does anyone have any tips or techniques you can share for me? Thanks guys! :)

May 29, 2011
Atlantic City NJ
I got the same problem man, and I found there's only one way to handle it... just keep doing it... Just keep performing in front of people and eventually you'll get used to it and it'll come natural. start off small of course only one or two people. Then when you get comfortable try with some more. Like you do with any other trick you just gotta keep practicing till you get it!

I really appreciate the advice! I haven't performed a lot for other people... Mainly I spend app my time perfecting my tricks. I am starting to carry around a deck of standard bikes to perform with whenever I can for people. I think getting out there that way will help. What you think? And by people I mean like friends and people I know.

Dav

Jun 28, 2011
England
I think the best way is to be able to trust yourself, for me this came through practice, but performing frequently really helps to develop confidence.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I'm a big fan of having a performing persona, as it were. It's a character I can slip into so that I'm thinking as much (or more) about how I'm performing than about how I'm doing magic. Even when other people don't notice outright, they don't see me fumbling or shaking either. The anxious part of me is focused on staying in character while my hands are doing what they have practiced hundreds or thousands of times over.

The shakes and the stumbles are just nerves. It doesn't matter how good you get, you're always going to get a little nervous at some point in time. Just relax, take a deep breath, and remember that you are in control of the situation. The good news is that the more you perform, and the more you put yourself out there, the easier it will become. It's like any other skill, the more you do it the better you get at understanding what it is you are suppose to do.

I actually advocate performing for strangers at your church or mall, etc. You don't need to emulate David Blaine or Criss Angel (and you shouldn't), but performing for complete strangers will give you a slightly better understanding of how you are progressing by watching their reactions, or getting their feedback.

Family and friends are great to rehearse in front of, but they already have a fairly clear understanding of who you are as a person, so sometimes the stories we tell during our magic tricks to justify the whys or the hows cause some disconnect because they know for a fact that you didn't get that ornate Chinese looking box on your travels to India a few years ago. A complete stranger gives you a slightly better edge as at least with them there is no preconceived notion of who or what you are.

When the day is done, all that is important is that you continue to better yourself, challenge yourself, and push yourself. You'll get there, just keep it up!

Thank you all very much! Great advice.

I have found that family ( and sometimes friends ) tend to ask questions or say do it again, or do things you didnnt ask them to do when performing a trick.

Strangers dont usually do that, so thats another good reason to perform to strangers.

I will NEVER perform a trick twice in a row anymore... I did that to a freind earlier this year ( card to mouth ) and he looked up. That was a huge mistake on my part. But other than that I have never been caught. I am very much a perfectionist... just not good with nerves. I dont show anything until I have mastered it.

Like the day I walked out of my room juggling... nobody even knew I was practicing! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Lots of great thoughts. My own experience, I have something called an essential fine tremor, and I just always shake a little. When I get anxious or nervous, the shaking gets quite noticeable. When I am doing walk around work, I always start with an effect I have done hundreds of times. Even if I shake, I have movements in the routine that help me disguise it. After that, the shakes start to calm down. Then by the second group, I'm in my groove, and not shaking at all.

Do stuff you know well to start.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results