Peek Wallet Justification

Jun 4, 2009
Hi guys just wanted to hear different views on "justifying" putting the word/picture that has been written down away in your peek wallet as to not have the thought "why didnt he/she just have me hold onto my card" go through the spectators minds. Interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Cheers

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I use Roth's "Panther Wallet" I don't think you can get them anymore, but it uses a 3M filter, meaning that you can get a peek with the wallet closed and they can't see a thing.

It's a leather biz card case, so I take it out, have them write on in, and have them place it face down back into the wallet as I hold it - So no one can get to it and I can't secretly see what they've written.

I then place it in their hands and move on from there.

I think that canceling the idea of a peek while getting your peek is a nice way to eliminate it from their minds - I try to literally get the peek as I say those words.

This approach really only applies to wallets you can peek without re-opening it, but for wallets like that, i.e. assassin or the Becker wallet (can't remember it's name!) you could have the card placed back in the wallet for the same reason, so you CAN'T secretly get a peek, then re-open, get your peek while grabbing another biz card out to dupe the word on, or as Becker suggests, have an elastic band in your wallet to wrap around it, so there's NO WAY you could secretly get in...

I'm sure there's other ways to approach this, but that's the way I do it :)

Best,

DC

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for the info Dee. The way you present the panther wallet sounds fantastic! the justification you suggested for the Stealth and Becker style wallets is basically the way I present mine. The panther wallet you described sounds alot cleaner IMO.

Are there any similar products you could suggest because these arent produced anymore?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I use the Hideout from Outlaw. It is a beast because the peek happens without reopening the wallet. Actually you can get it as you are closing the wallet.

The justification that I use is to isolate the piece of information so there is noway I can get to it.

Jun 4, 2009
I use the Hideout from Outlaw. It is a beast because the peek happens without reopening the wallet. Actually you can get it as you are closing the wallet.

The justification that I use is to isolate the piece of information so there is noway I can get to it.

Cheers man! I have read great things on all the outlaw wallets. How does the magnum compare with regards to cleanliness of the peek? The reason I ask is out of all of the wallets on the site this look more "me" than the others. I mostly perform for family and friends so I want it to seem like a normal wallet I would actually buy.

With my magic wallets (peek wallet I made and Real mans wallet) I find myself a metal logo whether it be off another wallet or a badge with the pin removed, I then superglue this to the wallet. Not sure if this has been discussed before but for me it just adds a little extra convincer.

3971585500_241514b980.jpg

(My Real Mans wallet)

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I don't own the Magnum but the Hideout looks and feels like any normal wallet. I occasionally use it as my everyday wallet if I am feeling lazy and not changing it back after a performance.

Jun 4, 2009
By the looks of the product descriptions the panther and magnum have the same type of peek. The Magnum has incredible reviews. I have been tempted by this for a while now. I think I'm going to have to pick one up soon.

Sep 24, 2007
Instead of "so I can't peek at what you've written," I advise "so I can't possibly know what you're thinking of," or some other phrase that avoids usage of the word "Peek."

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
My wording is always tailored to the group that I'm performing too - as far as the majority of audiences are concerned the word peek is taken as what it is, not a magician's word for sneaking a glance.

Put things right out it the open to cancel out the thought in their minds, I've found it to be the best way to prep for false memory too, if you've planted the seed before the trick really happens in their mind, you're on your way to an easy win.

Just from my experiences anyway.

DC

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
This is a very interesting issue that divides a lot of people.

On one hand Dee mentioned that saying peek should be a non event in the audiences eyes.

On the other many will say that by mentioning 'so I cannot see it' or anything of that nature could give the audience something to hang onto.

I personally think it is a happy medium that needs to be met, both in what is said and how it is said.

My personal opinion is a casual tone and to use the word isolate. As it gives it a justification and has a fair bit of power behind it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results