People get annoyed?

Jan 18, 2009
I mean this in no arrogant way or trying to show overconfidence. When I do magic to some people they seem annoyed, they enjoy it for a second then seem to be annoyed they can't figure it out or by the skill. Some people have admitted they are ticked off by the skill or something like that. So has anybody ever been given that impression that they are annoyed by your magic, and of course teachers count.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Yes, I try to perform magic for my family, but they sometimes seemed to be annoyed and say "I don't have the time" or "Show someone else".

These comments are what seems annoying to me.

And about skills, no matter how much I try to impress them even with the best performance I give to them, they to to figure out the trick in their head and don't enjoy the magic for what it is.

Jan 18, 2009
I know what you mean, I ask them to just try and enjoy it without figuring it out. My mom is actually a very annoying heckler who will take the cards when she is not supposed to and not look and just all the things that make magic impossible sometimes.

I really enjoy performing but if they look at it like a puzzle instead of entertainment then I guess they should look elsewhere.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I can relate.

My little brother is basically my heckler.

When I give him directions, he'll do the opposite like:

Grab the deck and start to look through them to see if they all the same and shuffle them, ect.

Or give his explanation of the trick and what not.

Magic is something to be entertained by, I don't see the fun if they're going to try and figure out every trick and not enjoy it for what it is.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Then your performance isn't quite right. Magic is suppose to be about showing your spectators the impossible, not a game of find-the-sleight. I 've never really encountered this problem. Most of my friends are really great, they simply want to be fooled. They always request a trick almost 5 times a day, simply cuz they want entertainment. And sometimes I'll try to explain the trick (Only to my best friends, i can trust them) but they'll interrupt me and say they dont wanna know how its done cuz it'll ruin the magic for them.

You can always use this line when someone ask you how its done:

Them: "How did you do that?"
You: "Well can you keep a secret?"
Them: "Yes!" *Eyes open with excitement*
You: "Well so can I!"

Lol that never fails for me.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I know what you mean, I ask them to just try and enjoy it without figuring it out. My mom is actually a very annoying heckler who will take the cards when she is not supposed to and not look and just all the things that make magic impossible sometimes.

I really enjoy performing but if they look at it like a puzzle instead of entertainment then I guess they should look elsewhere.

How do you perform?
Alot of flourishes?

May 3, 2008
I think it's the way that you are showing it to them. If you are doing something that says "Look at how fast and sexy my hands are", then it would seem that you are better than them and although it's interesting for a little bit, it starts to get annoying. You're supposed to entertain and not act condescending towards them. of course, this may not always be the case and they just really don't want to see your magic and in that case, just leave them alone.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I don't think it's the way I perform.

I don't really encounter this problem with anyone I perform for now.

I was talking about my life experiences of when people felt annoyed when I performed.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
And dont flourish with the cards.
The magic loses its novelty and everything after will seem too much like sleight of hand.
Dont draw too much attention to the deck.
I sometimes act a little bit of a stranger to cards and rarely touch them.
I ask the spectator to hold on to them while im telling them something or when i dont need to hold it.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
That's I normally do too.

I'll have the spectator hold the deck and I'll say "We'll get back to those in a minute" or "I want you to think of any card and visualize among this pack".

Jan 18, 2009
Well... the most I ever do is Death to Double Undercut move and that's it. It's because they know when I shuffle the cards I have complete control or something, I'm not a great cheater but I can do false shuffles etc. palming and what not and they get annoyed.

Some people really won't change and will only see magic as a form of puzzle. I don't try to show off really but I know some moves that really help me out that are a bit fancy.

Jan 18, 2009
Nah, it's really not like that it just seems that they really don't like magic or something to that effect. Just by the way I appreciate everybody's advice but this was just to see who also experienced this. This only happens to a select group of people but it doesn't happen like every month or anything.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Learn some effects where the magic happens in their hands. Also learn not to present what you do as a puzzle. If they try to figure out, just say "It's not meant to be figured out. It's not a puzzle. Just enjoy it for what it is."

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
tssss, Ill tell you something dude...

There are two types of performers out there, those who like doing magic because they like to entertein, and those that are desperate to call attention, the later are the guys who annoy spectators...

There is another guy in my school that does magic, and gosh he annoys the crap out of me!, the people watching him get annoyed pretty quickly and thats because the guy is a arrogant and egocentrical son of a.....,well, he makes the spectators feel dumb and he has this kinda air of "im better than you, watch me. you can't catch me !"things like that...I really hate that kind of performers....

It's about THEM, not about you. I hope its not the case in here.

If they get annoyed, its because they aren't enjoying the routine, and if they get annoyed by the routine, there is something wrong about you, not about them.

Take a step back, and rethink what you are doing in your performances.

Sorry for being harsh, I love y'all :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I don't really thinks the problem.

I think certain people just aren't in the mood to see a performance of magic.

And there are some that are just annoyed by certain or all people and their actions or hobbies.

Presentation does matter in a performance, it's what keeps the spectators entertained and enjoy the magic.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Nah, it's really not like that it just seems that they really don't like magic or something to that effect. Just by the way I appreciate everybody's advice but this was just to see who also experienced this. This only happens to a select group of people but it doesn't happen like every month or anything.

what!? everybody can enjoy magic,it is just a matter of adaptation, your spectator is kinda of the logical type? adapt your routines so that he can enjoy them, hell, it is a good thing to create your own routines and practice them, but sometimes, you have to act on the move and adapt your routines to your audience.

Althought Derren Brown has said in the past that you need to make you audience adapt to your routines, it is always a good thing to kinda know your audience before you perform for them, that way you can adapt your routines, so both you and them can have a good time.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Presentation does matter in a performance, it's what keeps the spectators entertained and enjoy the magic.

Well, you can be a jerk and have a wonderfull presentation!, but you still are a jerk. And Im not talking about you;).

Magic is not a thing that you can force on people, if they are strangers, try to get to know them first (withouth them knowing that you do magic) that way you can set the right ambient to perform.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I believe Wayne Houchin quoted Vernon when he said that magic has a proper context and a proper time to perform it. Sure performing on the street is a good way to get your chops and get known. But it can be annoying and just creepy to people when you go up to them and ask to perform. You have to introduce yourself and then kind of ease your way into it. The thing to remember is that not everybody is "ready" for magic. Magic can be great if it has the proper timing and proper context. Otherwise you just end up looking like a dork.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results