Performing At School

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Wow thanks alot guys!
I'm suprised I've gotten so many replies and I set this up like last night at 4 AM (Couldn't sleep) so yeah.
All the advice that you guys have given were awesome and I'll try to listen to your advice as well as I can.
So what would be some of the things you guys remebered or still perform at school that worked out really well.

every one loved the rising card..that was the crowd favorite.

trebmalrolyat

Banned
Sep 2, 2007
a lot of the time, you will gain "friends" because of your tricks. Yeah, good environment to practice in. but.. school is a place to learn, not perform. i used ot perform.. all the time at school, and my grades showed it, i was making Cs and failing classes. all i focused on was magic then. I would sorta "forget" everything else, chores, homework, even daydream in class. if you perform, I would do it outside of school, but its alright to maybe show a trick here and there. like you just know a few tricks, and youre "not the school magician", you just know a few things.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Performing magic on the first day of high school was the greatest thing I could have done for myself. Within a week, everyone knew who I was. Everyday, I would be performing in the halls for students between classes and during lunch break, the crowds that would gather would be unbelievable. On a few occasions, the crowd even grew to a size that blocked up the majority of the hallway's width, resulting in a teacher coming out to break it up. In one year, I have won the respect and admiration of all of the students at my school which is a gigantic achievement for me. It's so incredible to find out students have been talking about you and your magic, and that a lot of the audience in the talent show can just to see you.

I am also blessed to be part of the student body of my school in general. Everyone is nice to each other, we are literally like one big happy family.

Mar 2, 2008
(for your knolwage i am a incoming freshmen) Well i don't know if any of your highschools have this but every month or somthing at my school called "open mic night) witch you get 5 or 10 minutes to do whatever you want on stage. Theres usaly bands and poems and stuff. I think i should do my stiff rope and airborn 7up ect ect.

Oct 11, 2007
Yes, that is what the forums are for, advice.

I'm going to say that if you have done any close up work at all, in your elementary school and such, then you already have some experience. Wait...elementary....did you mean middle school as that is what is right before high school....perhaps? Either way.

High school isn't much different, except that you hope everyone is becoming more mature and getting into their "older" stages in life. There will be different kinds of people to experience and they will react differently perhaps than the younger kids you have performed for before. Most any of the street type close-up effects you do will work in a school setting as well. All your basic main stuff, but if you ARE going to be doing it daily (as I sometime have for weeks at a time before for various people) then you will be learning the nice new skill of improvisation. Learning to string together sleights, colour changes, moves, and everything else you have learned over this time into new effects you've never seen, and even if it's just basic they will think it's a whole new "trick". Run through the list of effects in your head that you have down, think who you are performing for and what you have shown them before (that's hard to remember and was my only problem usually) and then pick something, go into your routine and do your thing.

Teachers or other "authority" figures try to take something away, offer your cards freely, do a deck switch for an empty box with something heavy in that is similar in weight to a deck of cards, or whatever else you think of. Personally I have extra decks in my backpack, they cost what...2 dollars a piece? Big deal. You are the magic, your personality and the way you present yourself, you are the magician. Don't let someone intimidate you just because they want to take your deck, act like it's no big deal and move on....do more magic later. I've personally had the principal walk up in the middle of an effect and slip my deck out of my hand and go back to his office, soon as he left I pulled out my other deck and finished what I was doing. Be polite though, and don't get offensive if they ask nicely. Perhaps ask to finish that one routine and then move on, and try to avoid it in that person's class especially.

All in all, high school is a fun place to get experience for real world things, but yes do remember you see them everyday for four years or however long. So anyday you are going to do some magic, be prepared and treat it as a performance, not a quick trick for friends. Don't get overly cocky and act better than the other kids just because you have this special knowledge. (you may feel over them, just don't act it.) Also, it's best not to make them feel extremely stupid....they are still younger kids like you whose self esteem etc. can be hurt easily and they may take offense or just be hurt by something ignorant.
(if you do a bill change into a lower denomination make sure they understand they will lose a bit of money and that is the fee for doing the effect).

If you have a certain personality and you use it during magic, the rest of school must be presented like that. Live your character. I am who I am during performance, and in real life just so that there is not a discrepancy.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
(for your knolwage i am a incoming freshmen) Well i don't know if any of your highschools have this but every month or somthing at my school called "open mic night) witch you get 5 or 10 minutes to do whatever you want on stage. Theres usaly bands and poems and stuff. I think i should do my stiff rope and airborn 7up ect ect.

Man I wish my school had that- I may have to suggest that to the Principle! Thanks for the idea!

Sep 3, 2007
And if you have a decent sized school, you can find a new audience without too much work. So don't worry about that.

Figure out which teachers are cool with magic.

Just go all out. Test out your routines this year until they are completely solid. Performing experience is the most valuable thing. JUST DO IT!

Apr 15, 2008
I just got the point across to my classmates that I would perform whenever I felt like it, not when they asked. And not in a mean way at all, but I hinted it and they caught on. Pretty much any effect that you like, your audience will like too becuase they are all kids who are your age and think like you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results