Performing in a Classroom :: Ideas/Advice

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone,

Today, I was asked by a psychology teacher to come in and do a performance piece for his class. Since I also happen to have class at the same time, the performance will only be about 5 minutes at most.

Now, a lot of us MUST have performed in front of a class (where about 20 or more) desks are lined up, and the angles/making sure everyone can see is very difficult.

Bottom line about performing in a classroom is: it is very difficult!

So, when doing this, you must choose a piece that isn't too visual, but more psychological and interesting to everyone, so that not just the people in the front row can see what is going on.

For example, Joshua Jay's CARD AT ANY PAGE NUMBER.

It's excellent, because it is something that isn't very visual, but everyone watching can see and be involved in the trick.

SO, I have a performance soon, and I don't have the items required to perform Joshua Jay's Card at Any Page Number - and I need some recommendations of some tricks that are on the same level as Joshua Jay's trick. (I am very experienced in sleight-of-hand, with just over 4 years of practice - though, sleight of hand tricks won't work too well in this situation, most likely.)

Some thoughts I have so far are tricks like Big Deal (also Joshua Jay), or an invisible deck routine.

But that's it, so if you guys could refer me to some tricks, that'd be great. Also, please share your advice with performing in front of a class, because, as we all know, it's hard!

Thanks for your time,

-Sanj

Edit: My time-frame for this performance is around a week or two.

Nov 7, 2009
If you have an Invisible Deck then do a routine with that... You dont have to buy things and its pretty much one of the best trick (if not) ever invented.... Win win :)

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Since it's for a psych class you're doing it in front of, I'd suggest a sucker born every minute.
I would have so much fun with them for this trick. I would ask them rhetorical questions like if I was making them choose the envelope they chose by psychologically forcing it with my words.
Have them switch envelopes and what not, making it fun.
Although it may be a little tough to make sure the 4 people are in front of you, along with the rest of the class and not on the side or anything.

Whatever trick you decide to perform, make sure you get back to us on how it went.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I perform in a classroom every Friday. Card effects that you have to lay down cards on a table top or mat are next to impossible for everyone to see unless you have an overhead projector that does 3D. Our machines are called ELMO it allows everything to be viewed on the big screen.

If I were you I would go with a very visual piece like Witness that happens in the spectators hands but have them up front with you.

or....do the Jay Sankey invisible deck routine with the imaginary black magic marker and the X's on the cards. I use this as a closer a lot.

Whatever you choose....blow them away and let us know how it went.

Stick close to the front of the room...angles are ridiculous in a classroom. The people next to either wall can normally see a little more than you'd want.

Ola

Jul 10, 2009
Lillestrøm, Oslo, Norway
I'd do Joshua Jays Magic Square-thing.
It's on his DVD, he basicly calls out for a number and make a magic square where everything adds up.
I like to do it if I'm in a situation where a blackboard is available to me, such as a classroom.

And as mentioned, invisible deck is also nice on a big audience - works better there than in "street closeup" - you won't get any grabbers:)

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Well...
Its for a psychology class so why perform cards? Perform mentalism my friend.
I would try to stay away from the normal card tricks or what ever as those... just make you look like a magician. How bout performing a routine on the mind and how people make decisions. Pic up any quick comedy mentalism routine which has a good patter and you know yorue ready
If you really want cards, I would definitely suggest the Invisible Deck/ Brainwave. Make the presentation the greatest thing ever. Talk about random crap and make the choosing of the card very diverse and fair. Off the top of my head:

Have each element of the card decided by different parts of the class - Color, Suit, Court/ Number, Card. You then build up the entire patter about group mentality, that even though they are all different, they inevitably build rapport and connect between each other, how they all have made the unanimous decision from the beginning and that it was just a matter of finding it... drag this on for a good 4 minutes. Then reveal that before hand, you have studied each of their names, personalities, backgrounds, etc, to predict which card they would pick. Then reveal.
Some of them will probably realize that its just pure BS as that probably doesnt make sense, but it will still fit the situation better than some card change or out-of-context prediction.

Hey everyone,

Today, I was asked by a psychology teacher to come in and do a performance piece for his class. Since I also happen to have class at the same time, the performance will only be about 5 minutes at most.

Now, a lot of us MUST have performed in front of a class (where about 20 or more) desks are lined up, and the angles/making sure everyone can see is very difficult.

Bottom line about performing in a classroom is: it is very difficult!

So, when doing this, you must choose a piece that isn't too visual, but more psychological and interesting to everyone, so that not just the people in the front row can see what is going on.

For example, Joshua Jay's CARD AT ANY PAGE NUMBER.

It's excellent, because it is something that isn't very visual, but everyone watching can see and be involved in the trick.

SO, I have a performance soon, and I don't have the items required to perform Joshua Jay's Card at Any Page Number - and I need some recommendations of some tricks that are on the same level as Joshua Jay's trick. (I am very experienced in sleight-of-hand, with just over 4 years of practice - though, sleight of hand tricks won't work too well in this situation, most likely.)

Some thoughts I have so far are tricks like Big Deal (also Joshua Jay), or an invisible deck routine.

But that's it, so if you guys could refer me to some tricks, that'd be great. Also, please share your advice with performing in front of a class, because, as we all know, it's hard!

Thanks for your time,

-Sanj

Edit: My time-frame for this performance is around a week or two.
anything impromptu is kool...and stuff with little setup....

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
If you are doing something mentalism based I would advise against the ID or BW because I am sure that someone knows them inside and out. Your best bet is the Hoy Book test or even something that has a real basis in psychology like hypnosis (just a few tests), idiomotor response or something of that nature.

Look what Eric Meed did at TED he gave a rational and accepted presentation.

Nov 29, 2008
Honestly, the angles aren't as hard as you think if you just use audience management and proper positioning. I did a routine with the clipshift in there, as well as a tenkai palm, and got away with it. Just use your direction well and keep focused. Position yourself at one of the corners of the room so your are looking at the desks like a diamond. That way, You have no back angle obviously, your sides are pretty well covered as well, you may to use a little body turn here and there but its ok. Maybe an invisible palm routine. An ACAAN to get some audience involvement. Then end with something hard-hitting but simple like Witness. Or you can talk about psychology in a routine like Eric Mead did if you want to be creative, or interesting to them and the teacher, who then may ask you to perform again.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results