Powerful, Easy, Direct Mental Magic

Feb 4, 2008
You might check this out. I don't have it so I can't give it a personal recommendation but I have read some good reviews.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S8362

I'm a little unsure of the whole deal behind Longman's Acidus Novus. Obviously I have seen it sold for $150 but then Zengg teaches it in his billet course and even Wayne Houchin teaches it on one of his DVDs. I haven't heard any uproar about either of these guys ripping it off(though admittedly I avoid the Magic Cafe') so I assume these guys have permission but then I see the original manuscript going for a ridiculously steep price.

Can anyone educate me on why this is so expensive? http://www.mevproshop.com/acidus-novus.html
Is it all the bonuses and routines added or is it steep to keep Acidus Novus exclusive? If the latter, why then can Houchin and Zengg include it as a mere part of other DVDs they sell?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'm a little unsure of the whole deal behind Longman's Acidus Novus. Obviously I have seen it sold for $150 but then Zengg teaches it in his billet course and even Wayne Houchin teaches it on one of his DVDs. I haven't heard any uproar about either of these guys ripping it off(though admittedly I avoid the Magic Cafe') so I assume these guys have permission but then I see the original manuscript going for a ridiculously steep price.

Can anyone educate me on why this is so expensive? http://www.mevproshop.com/acidus-novus.html
Is it all the bonuses and routines added or is it steep to keep Acidus Novus exclusive? If the latter, why then can Houchin and Zengg include it as a mere part of other DVDs they sell?

Let's start with AN and your question. . . it is loaded with twists & turns never before published and shared with but an exclusive few over the past 30 or so years AN has been around. I can assure you, it's more than worth the price asked, as is the Acidus Globus material though I personally prefer Obsidian Oblique as a fall billet peek (OO is no longer available on the legal market and be aware of pirated copies that do not include the video). I'll also point out that Millard more or less supported his family using little other than AN over the past 40+ years. Though he did shows and talks he was likewise a Reader who worked countless parties and mixers as a Psychic Entertainer.

As to how & why Allan Zingg and Wayne, etc. are allowed to tip AN is simple; first of all, they are NOT giving you anything but the basics on the peek. Secondly, they have asked permission from Millard just as I did when I put out "The Reading" (which btw, offers a glimpse at one of the subtleties found in the MEV material). Millard is a wonderful and gracious man, especially when he likes and respects you.

When it comes to the gang at MEV. . . well, I'm probably the youngest member of the stable. Most of us are well beyond our silver years and heading towards the end of things and not to sound "desperate" but the sell of our materials is there both, as a sort of pay-back to the craft and likewise a supplement to the limited sense of income most of us survive on, be it retirement pay-outs or Social Security itself. None of us make a mountain of cash but I can assure you, the steady sell of a few books each month goes a long way.

When it Comes to Affordable Material. . . the Learned Pig, Lybrary.com and numerous other sources have some very solid FREE materials as well as stuff that sells for under $10.00 that will blow you away. Don't get sucked in on the idea that a high price always means "better" stuff. Look at the packaging and the reputation of the author before you throw more than $25.00 at any author's material. I can list a good dozen jerks out there that poop out three or more books a year boasting tons of experience and charging a small fortune for their pile of dung. Fortunately enough of us know about these clowns to warn off most, but we don't get to everyone. So ask questions before hitting that PayPal button; there's a big difference when buying from Stephan Minch's site vs. Lulu.

PRICES are something I've always complained about; why, when a prop (as an example) cost less than $500.00 to build, is it being retailed at over $3,000.00? Granted, the guy building it needs to see some compensation but damn!
. . . and don't expect a discount if you already know the secret (the excuse most merchants give you to justify high price)​

Fact is, there are many things that justify price including who the person is sharing the material (name recognition, reputation, longevity & success in the craft, etc.), what they are sharing and related costs are the foremost factors. Logically, a book from someone like Stephan Minch or Richard Webster is going to bring a load of experience and perspective that you wouldn't get from Tom Jones, the 15 year old ego pooping something out via Lulu. But you must likewise look at who that author/publisher is focused on when it comes to sales; if they want to share with the "elite" of a given society the price is going to be deliberately set out of reach to the average enthusiast and curiosity seeker. That's why so much of Jerome Finley's material (as an example) is exceptionally high priced and frequently available for a very limited "invitation only" sense of distribution.

I know this seems insulting to some, especially those new to the craft or who may be serious but simply haven't the finances to make the INVESTMENT -- that's what such books are; investments not simply buying a book on magic. You must see them as such whether you're a hobbyist and collector or a working pro (or aspiring to be such) in that this is what they are; a resource manual that deals with a very defined arena.

Think of it this way, if you were a car mechanic wouldn't you have top end, expensive manuals available for repairing this and that car? If you were a gun collector that enjoyed restoring and preserving old guns, wouldn't you have the same kind of texts? Materials the average person and general magpie doesn't really "need" because what they have or do is admittedly amateur. . . Why do amateur hobbyists need access to the things working pros need?

I don't mean to sound negative, but it's the best I can explain this situation. It's in no way intended to be "mean" or "elitist" . . .
. . . well, in the majority of instances that is.​

I hope I've clarified things for you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results