Powerword: Fall by Matt Sconce

Nov 23, 2007
NC
You know that reaction you get from some spectators. The one where they just stand there silently and motionless with their mouth a little open for a few seconds because their brain cant cope with the information their eyes just sent it.
Get used to it. Here is Powerword: Fall.

The Effect:
Words have power.
The words you speak when performing, change the impact your magic has on a spectator. Imagine having the ability to control objects with the power of your words. This is not an average psychokinetic effect. With just a quiet whisper from several feet away, you are able to make objects fall at your command. The Power Word principle allows you to perform the impossible, knock one object off another without affecting it or choose which objects will fall and which will remain standing.
No weird, unnatural hand movements, no complicated setups, you do not need to be close to the object, in fact, you can even have your back turned while performing Power Word: Fall. Complete with a method perfect for walk around and street magicians, Power Word: Fall is a must have in your arsenal of reputation makers.

What you get:
You get the DVD, gimmick, and a card with a secret website that has some more tips and tricks, extra ideas, and Matt's personal email incase you want to contact him with a question or for any reason.

The DVD and layout:

Quality:
Its Papercrane so you know the quality is going to be good. There are no fancy camera shots. It's pretty much straight forward and getting down to business.

Promotional Video.
The same teaser that's on the website.

Performance Videos.
Here you see two complete performances from Matt. In one he performs Powerword: Fall for a group of girls that he is standing in front of. The other he performs it close up sitting directly across the table from two spectators. I always enjoy watching these to see how the creator actually performs it live. It helps me get into their mindset a little more and pick up on some subtleties that may have not been mentioned elsewhere.

Intro and secret:
Here Matt introduces himself and goes over the basic concept and method for Powerword:Fall.

Methods:
This section has six different categories in it where Matt teaches you ways to get different things done. To me these are more like applications as you are using the same method but making items fall differently and under different circumstances and conditions.

You learn:
How to make an item or multiple items fall. They can be in lines, walls or random patterns.
How to make items fall when objects in front and/or in back are left standing.
How to make items fall that are in the middle/side of two items left standing.
How to make a ping pong ball fall off an object without impacting the object.
How to make items fall when you are turned around completely facing the other direction. A spectator can hold each of your hands.
How to make items fall that are underneath or surrounded on the sides and the top by other objects.

Summary:

Matt is an excellent teacher and he goes over everything that you need in detail. That said there is still a lot of room to add your own creativity by making things happen a little differently and adding your personal presentation that fits your style, which to me is a big bonus. Its not rigid in its presentation.

The setup for the effect doesn't take long at all. About three to five seconds max with very little prep work done before hand. You don't have to have a Masters degree in arts and crafts for the gimmick either. Its very simple and you may already be a little familiar with it. At first I did have a few very minor (and I mean minor) issues while working out the details but these were quickly resolved. You wont run in to any roadblocks what so ever.

Matt does teach one version that you can use for street style or mobile as long as you have a flat surface which to be honest I'm not to fond of and probably will never use. However, there is another walk around version taught that is completely practical for most mobile settings and I cant see why anyone wouldn't just do it this way anyhow. I think it was just another option he was making available which does work and gets it done I just didn't find it very useful.

This effect is very, very powerful. The spectators can set the items up. Your making items fall just by saying the word. No other part of your body moves at all. Your completely still. Your going to think Matt is a genius for coming up with this and using it in this way, and he is but it has a very primal feel in its nature. Simple and direct. You say fall, things fall down.

Your going to enjoy doing this and its a lot of fun. I watched the dvd twice right off the get go, which I always do and the second time through it I just couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear. It is so much fun both to practice and perform. I was practicing in a separate room and laughing so much my wife came in wondering what was going on. She thought I was watching a comedy movie or had some friends over. Great fun.

I've practiced this a lot and performed it three times so far getting outstanding reactions. This is one that I'll be keeping in my arsenal because it is fun to do, a little bit of the beaten path, and is a stunner.

Sep 3, 2007
The setup for the effect doesn't take long at all. About three to five seconds max with very little prep work done before hand. You don't have to have a Masters degree in arts and crafts for the gimmick either. Its very simple and you may already be a little familiar with it. At first I did have a few very minor (and I mean minor) issues while working out the details but these were quickly resolved. You wont run in to any roadblocks what so ever.

Let's be realistic here. The setup could take awhile depending. Sure the setup for the effect doesn't take long but previous setup could take some time. Especially if you do what is recommended and use the same materials as he does. For me any problems so far have been quickly addressed by Matt. But don't expect to have a setup less than a few minutes from start to finish.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Sir FansAlot
Let's be realistic here. The setup could take awhile depending. Sure the setup for the effect doesn't take long but previous setup could take some time.
?? I am being realistic. Like I said the actual setup does only take a few seconds.
But don't expect to have a setup less than a few minutes from start to finish.
I think your meaning prep work but saying setup. There is some prep work to do ahead of time but it's very little and wont take that long (like I said in the review). Once its done its done and your ready. Actually setting up for the effect is picking a flat surface to use for the performance and taking another 2 seconds.

To me its such a strong effect its well worth the very little effort of the prep work and I did most of that before practicing and shouldnt have to again for a while.

Nov 10, 2007
I have one crucial question to determine if I get this or not:
Does this effect use invisble thread?

Thank You so very much
- Donald

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Does this effect use invisble thread?
I am more of a card guy but this looks amazing how big is the gimmick as i like to stay away from gimmicks?
I sit noticeable?
One more question can I use any 2 objects like a randomly selected ping pong ball and randomly selected cup and make this effect happen or is the gimmick in the object that falls? I am sorry to ask you so many questions but the last 2 effects I bought recently have been very disappointing to me and I do not want to be disappointed 3 times in a row.
Thank You so very much
- Donald
Ask for exposure much?

Nov 10, 2007
I only do close up magic and think this is perfect for restaurant magic, why do you say one would not use it after a while?

Nov 5, 2007
I like the effect - Very simple, direct and it's truly bizarre to watch.

The walkaround set up is great - I've used it a few times now and people don't have a clue. it's a really fun effect to perform.

D.

I am glad you are having fun! Power Word: Fall is a strong PK effect. The objects are not gimmicked and can be borrowed. The spectator can even set them up, with you away from the table. The spectator can immediately pick them up once they fall. It is clean and very entertaining to perform and have performed for you.

For the people wondering about IT, that can obvviously not be answered as it would be discussing the possible method which would be exposure, but what I can say is that a user here on the board was concerned before it released that it may be Invisible thread. I assured them that whatever the method, it was easy to perform and a brand new thinking using something most magicians have access to. The person bought the effect and here was their review:

This is one of the best things released this year, and there have been allot of great material out in 2008 in my opinion.

Most people have seen some kind of card or coin trick and they know that there are some kind of trick behind it, but people have never seen anything like this and it looks SO real and clean that it cant be a trick. It really freaks them out.

I did try this out yesterday at a party, and after the sharpie fell down i had about 30 people screaming and jumping around. I did a routine where i did Wayne Houchins Control followed by this, and people really did belive i had real powers, even if i told them it was just an illusion.

Matt does a great jobb explaning the effects and the download is very well produced.

I would recommend this to anyone because its really easy to do and 100 % practical for the real world and its something different.

I would say that about 80% of effects that i buy gets putt down in my magic drawer because its nothing i can use, but this one will i use all the time.

Hope that helps! PM me with any questions as I am always here to help. :) -Matt Sconce

Nov 5, 2007
on word IT...Interesting Thread so to say

Haha! Infected, have you gotten the effect yet? It is quite an interesting method. You have to be careful though, because people will think you are a:

A. Superhero
B. Psychic
C. Satan
D. Witch

I really have to clarify that I am a magician, because this trick makes people believe in the supernatural. Powerful stuff. :) -Matt Sconce

Apr 30, 2008
Sweden, Vänersborg
Haha! Infected, have you gotten the effect yet? It is quite an interesting method. You have to be careful though, because people will think you are a:

A. Superhero
B. Psychic
C. Satan
D. Witch

I really have to clarify that I am a magician, because this trick makes people believe in the supernatural. Powerful stuff. :) -Matt Sconce

Thats Kewl:D

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
The leaning tower of Pisa is leaning because Chuck thought about performing 'Power Word: Fall' on it....it cowers in fear.

Awesome.

And Yeah, any word can be said - I've heard rumors that it was originally going to be called;

"Powerword: HADOKEN!"

but they decided against it. :p

It's a cool effect and will spark the imagination when you go thru and learn all the bits on the DVD - pick it up :)

D.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results