Private Gig Results...

I wouldn't have taken the check.
After he got the secret from you he'd probably cancel the check.

Great job Dylan. I didn't know you were that young and performing gigs. Awesome!

That is what most people are surprised about. People often tell me that I look 20, when in fact I am only 15. Magic has been one of the only important things in my life. Ths is the list of them.

1: Family
2: Friends
3: School
4: Magic
5: Having Fun
6: Guitar
7: Drawing

I have been practising magic since I was nine. I practice every day for two hours. And the way I train my self in order to avoid mistakes is very rough and can be frusturating but it helps me better myself. That being said, I have only been performing professionally for one year. This was the biggest gig yet and I have already started getting more calls. I have been booked for this Saturday. I myself do not find it that interesting that someone who is 15 is performing for hundreds of dollars. If you are good at what you do, then you should do it, regardless of age.

My mom, on the other hand, thinks that it's crazy that I attend school, get at least okay grades, play guitar, perform magic professionally, work at a grocery store, ad still have time for my friends, my family, and myself. She thinks it's awsome. And her and my dad support me and want me to go far, in magic.

If anyone wants to know how I practice and why its frusturating, ust ask and I'll post it,
Dylan P.

I'll bite. How do you practice and why is it so frustrating?

My practice routine is relentless. I am like a drill sargeant of self discipline. Let me tell you why. When i learn a new effect, I first practice to myself until I think I have thebasic mechanics down. If I can perform for myself 10 times in a row without any mistakes or hesitation I will move on. When I move on I then perform it in front of a mirror 10 times perfectly, without mistake. Then I have to perform it perfectly 5 times for an audiance of friends and/or family. Then it can be performed for people. If I mess up at any point during ANY of these steps I start over.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
My practice routine is relentless. I am like a drill sargeant of self discipline. Let me tell you why. When i learn a new effect, I first practice to myself until I think I have thebasic mechanics down. If I can perform for myself 10 times in a row without any mistakes or hesitation I will move on. When I move on I then perform it in front of a mirror 10 times perfectly, without mistake. Then I have to perform it perfectly 5 times for an audiance of friends and/or family. Then it can be performed for people. If I mess up at any point during ANY of these steps I start over.

I'm pretty sure that's the basic outline for any professional magician learning a new effect... and for a lot of amateur/hobbyist magicians. IMO, nothing too special or "relentless". I think things like "drill seargent of self discipline" are words simply meant to glorify yourself and your practice routine. I guess I expected something a lot... different.

F

fizzypopo8005

I'm pretty sure that's the basic outline for any professional magician learning a new effect... and for a lot of amateur/hobbyist magicians. IMO, nothing too special or "relentless". I think things like "drill seargent of self discipline" are words simply meant to glorify yourself and your practice routine. I guess I expected something a lot... different.

Well I think that not a lot of amateurs or magicians follow that practice routine...I like it it a lot and think most people should do it this way. Just go to youtube and see what I mean by people not following this routine for practicing...most people on there post a video of themselves minutes after buying an effect.

May 31, 2008

Similar for me, I have a schedule for when I practice certain types of magic. Oh I should be practicing my Pass right now. Signing off!

Edit: Ok I'm back. That was three hours of practicing the pass! My hands hurt, and it still looks sloppy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 20, 2008
God job Man, im Happy for you. it takes a lot of skill to entertain, and it sounds like you've done your job really well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results