Promoting yourself

Sep 3, 2007
I'm doing a show for a non-profit organization. How do I promote myself to the audience in order to get other shows from them for pay?

Should this be done before, after, or during the show?

Where is the line?

Thanks!

Promoting, if you can get Corrinda's 13 steps to mentalism and watch Osterlind give extreme detail on that.

Also Banachek Psi Series goes into detail on how to sell yourself.

Now what I would do, is give them something that haven't seen, so if its an effect you know they''ll be talking about for years to come go for it. Try doing something like a kool levitation. Sure they have seen it, but they haven't saw you do it. Try doing something like thread, they probably haven't saw it. Or something rememberable. Anything Pk is always good!!!

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think that should always be done afterwards. You'll have effectively auditioned for them with your performance, but you don't want to be blatantly pushing your services during your act, unless you can somehow make a (good) joke out of it. Otherwise it just lacks class!

If you get a chance to mingle with the audience beforehand, it might be worth scouting out any high-rollers and introducing yourself, and then tell them that you'll show them something special after the show. Then meet them again afterwards, show them something that'll blow their minds, and leave them your business card, making it clear that they can engage you for parties, or whatever functions you do.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Promoting and Advertising are mostly always done ahead of time with Posters, Fliers, Teaser Video Clips, and such. Look at many of the great magicians of the past. Harry Houdini was outstanding at promoting himself and his events.

Well, you can do this a couple of different ways. You can pass out business cards, or promotional post cards before or after the show, you can have the host introduce you and plug your website, you can also plug your website or social networking site as you take your bow.

However I agree with Reverhart. If you are doing your promotions during your show, then you've already missed your chance to market yourself. The show should be for entertaining. Promoting happens, for the most part, prior or post showtime.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Also promote yourself in Facebook and other web medias...like twitter, HI-5...you can also go out and busk in restaurants or places with lots of people and after the performance say something like "thanks for your attention, I will be performing in "insert place name here and date" so you are invited to come over and watch some more!" soemthing like that..

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I think it could be done before and during. Tell people that you're going to be doing magic. Perform and give out business cards.

It`s not advisable to do it during the performance...its preferable to do it after, that way they have seen you and can decide, it`s no longer a blind shot to them, if you are saying it during it distracts the audience and breaks the dinamic of the show...before it`s ok but it depends on the situation...if you are doing a stage show or something along those lines, when you are presented to the audience like this "Now we are presenting "insert your name here" he is a magician and he has presented in "insert places name here" and entertained "insert famous people name here" and soon he will presenting in "insert future place name here" so welcome "again your name"

Also only give your bussiness card if you are asked for one...don`t go around giving them like candies...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results